1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Bunnet- Fergus McCann

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Marty McFly, Nov 13, 2015.

Discuss The Bunnet- Fergus McCann in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Didn't see a thread, so mods feel free to move/merge if required.

On the back of the statue thread etc, I often hear people who aren't huge fans of McCann, or hint at negative stories about the man. I mind some booing him at a flag day too.

What's people's thoughts on the man? Personally, I will always see him as the man who saved the club and will be eternally grateful. I remember those dark days and growing up then was a hard time as a Tim. Don't really know what would have happened without the guy.

I'm not looking to start slagging matches etc, just genuinely, maybe naively, don't know the ins and outs of why some people don't like the guy.

:shamrock:

2. JasonMcG1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    kieran tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I always was spoiled by watching celtic mainly started during oneill era , but i remember him saving the club and that is the main thing i will always remember that any other small decision people never liked at the time should be forgot about

3. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    He attacked the right to sing republican songs that's the only reason can think off I'm sure someone older can give the full story

Agreed he should be should be remembered with a stand at least though :50:

4. Pinstripe

I was at that game on flag day, didnt boo myself, I thought the wee man was brilliant for the club, I can understand why people did though, as mentioned above he didnt quite like some of the songs being sung also the sacking of Tommy just a year or so before left a sour taste in alot of mouths and the hiring of Jock Brown didnt go down to well either, who many people blame for Wim leaving at the time.

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Guessing this is on the back of my post in the Cesar Statue thread? :smiley-laughing002:

I'll post the same in here. Just my opinion mind.

There are a lot more people who put in a lot more personal sacrifice than Fergus back then and they never made a whopping great profit out of it either.

I'm not trying to knock the guy but he spied an opportunity to turn a sleeping giant into a heavyweight again and he did, then he was handsomely rewarded for it.

He also spent a lot of time attacking the very people who had kept the club afloat during those dark days.

I understand a lot of people are in favour of this and that's fine, but it's not for me.

The Celtic support were also the people who paid for the stadium.

6. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    History and well the fall of Hunco have been kind to Fergus however he did * on TB from a great height, hindsight's a great thing Hail Hail the Bunett:shamrock:

7. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Cheers Sean :50: yeah mate, didn't want to de-rail the Caesar thread.

I like to hear this stuff, I suppose it's easy to just remember the good things. Also, interesting about Wim leaving. That was so bizarre, the ultimate high of winning the league then the news stories that night about Jansen leaving put a fair dampener on things.

Suppose the guy was a business man at the end of the day, maybe then got too involved in things he shouldn't have?

8. pablo88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Good post

9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

As Pablo said as well he did * on Tommy (and Davie Hay) too, calling them Catholic bigots for opposing his Bhoys against Bigotry campaign.

I commend him for what he done for the club I really do, not many people were willing to part with that many millions to save the club and save us from the embarrassment of liquidation.

You need to remember though he left with £40m. People like John Keane actually kept the lights on before McCann rode in by giving the club a million quid and he never took a penny out of the club after that, instead giving his shares to his kids who have vowed never to sell them either.

Fergus also waged a war on the Republicans in the Celtic support and even wanted to change our badge to incorporate a thistle as well.

[​IMG] __________________

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  10. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    I blame the Green Brigade.

11. FATLAZYBHOY Born in the steamie Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    CELTIC SONG (CLASSIC)
    bet he didn't use EBT's

12. Pinstripe

If anything, history will show that Fergus not only did us a massive favour but the whole of Scottish Football when he refused to bow down before that * Jim Farry and eventually forced him out of Scottish Football.

Drakhan likes this.
  13. Cadete

I love the man. He was one of the most humble, softspoken heroes this club has ever had. Without him, we would have gone into administration, there is no doubt. More honourably than our "neighbours" across the river, but still into administration.

How do you all feel about bunnets? Are they only for him, or can other gents wear them as well?:smiley-laughing002:

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That's a good point.

He went after those * in the SFA big time and I will always be thankful for that.

It didn't make much of a difference though in the grand scheme of things, we are still having the same problems with them to this day.

15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I'm * shocked. :rofl:

Humble. :rofl: :rofl:

Softspoken :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You sure we are talking about the same guy?

16. JoeDan67

Hated him at the time. Looking back at what happened to the huns, started to think he was a good guy. But I can't get over how he treated Tommy Burns.

17. Pinstripe

Aye yir right about having the same problems nowadays but back then Farry thought he was untouchable, it proved to other clubs that they no longer had to just sit back and take * from these people, if pushed, they could fall just like everyone else.

18. Cadete

I think he was. He came in, he had to shake things up, he did what he had to do, and he quietly left. You hardly hear from him anymore. He doesn't go about touting himself as the greatest thing to happen to Celtic since Jesus. I am not sure what is shocking about that?

19. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

whatever you think about Fergus McCann even his biggest fans wouldn't call him humble or softs spoken.

You are * at it.

20. Pinstripe

:smiley-laughing002: