1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Going back a couple of weeks, good return by Brook.

Absolutely love his walk-in music too, best ever, just seems perfect tune.

2. Nasser

Valuev was a goofy stiff slow giant, Klitschko didn't avoid Valuev, if anything Valuev ducked him and his brother. Vitali offered him 1 million to fight and Valuev turned it down, Vitali really wanted the fight because he knew he would have destroyed Valuev.

They even tried to have it in a contract to fight his brother, both brothers wanted a piece of of the big stiff Valuev.
    https://www.boxingscene.com/valuev-explains-why-klitschko-fight-never-happened--102740

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The Klitschkos did not avoid Valuev FFS.

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Watched that Quigg fight recorded which was decent but he's pretty finished since Frampton done him..

Face was absolutely * after it. Like the elephant man..

5. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I don’t remember ever hearing about either of the Klitschko’s being in contention to fight Valuev, not seriously anyway. If you consider that Vitali was willing to fight Lewis at short notice, and Wlad was willing to test himself against Joshua even towards the end of his career, I have a hard time either of them would’ve been hesitant to step into the ring against Valuev.

If there’s a shortage of great names on their resume, it seems to me it’s more due to there being a shortage of great heavyweight fighters during the their time at the top, rather than them actively avoiding anyone.

hiphopaddict likes this.
  6. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Thats the other point I was making. After Lewis retired and the Klitschkos took over they went on to fight in a relatively easy division for about a decade. I think Samuel Peter came the closest to stopping them, but still lost 3 out of 3 against the Klitschkos. Their dominance centred around fighting in a weak division where the majority of the fighters were considerably smaller than they were, which meant their tactics fitted the bouts perfectly against fighters that were poorer than they were in any case

7. celts67

Comments Thread For: McGregor Opens as 10-1 Favorite in Mayweather MMA Fight
    As BoxingScene.com reported late Sunday night, retired former five division world champion Floyd Mayweather (50-0, 27 KOs) told TMZ that he is going to apply for an MMA license. Mayweather, 41, retired from boxing last August, after snapping a two year layoff with a tenth round stoppage of UFC superstar Connor McGregor, who was making his debut in boxing.

[Click Here To Read More]

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:

Quality this..

9. Nasser

Dillian Whyte vs Lucas Browne this weekend should be fun fight hopefully.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Buglioni/Johnson should be decent and wee Cardle/Ritson as well..

No a bad card..

Rendog likes this.
  11. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I think Whyte is an under rated fighter, think he’ll school Browne personally.

kinglenny and McChiellini.. like this.
  12. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Browne packs a lot of power also. If it turns into a slugfest, which it highly likely will, then Browne should be considered favourite. Really looking forward to this, and betting on Browne stoppage second half of the fight.

13. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I'm actually going to cover my bets. 11/10 Whyte points and 5/1 Browne KO. Cannot see any other outcome so i should be covered. Strongly fancy Browne to stop him though.

14. Nasser

I'm not sold on either of them, but the build up has been tasty seems like both generally dislike each other. I think Whyte wins on points is the most likely outcome. Browne has a punchers chance but he could also get KOed by Whyte as I think Whyte has the better chin if it's a war but Browne has the more power but is much more of a brawler than a boxer.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    If Whyte has genuinely sorted his fitness out and built his muscle (as he says) up where he's no as fleshy....I can see him winning by stoppage late on instead of points..

I was slightly alarmed when that lump Chisora looked the heavier handed fighter between the 2 at time's but technically when Whyte puts it together, he's a good fighter..

Hopefully he does the job as I like him anyway and as Joshua already knows, he can bang his self..

16. Lecs

Who have we got this weekend?? I know Joshua is fighting next Saturday but haven't been following it this week.

17. Nasser

Buglioni v Callum Johnson should be entertaining. I like Buglioni, I've not seen much of Johnson so dunno how good he is, bookmakers have it basically evens for both so it's seen as a 50/50 fight.

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Hopefully Buglioni does the business so he can do a number on Yarde after..

Who has Johnson fought really? Looks good and can bang so this deffo ain't hearing the final bell but I expect buglioni to have just too much for him..

19. Nasser

No one of any not at all, he's unbeaten but against very poor standard of boxers. I guess it's all down to hype, I want to bet on Buglioni as you can get odds of evens on him but these home nation fights often can be risky to bet on as they often turns into wars at this weight class.

20. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I think Browne does the basics so much better than Whyte. I love Whyte as a personality but his balance is all wrong for boxing.