1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aw definitely is technically giftesd as well, I just don’t think that’s the defining thing about him. I’d agree if we’re talking about the Fury that fought WK, * knows how he’ll come back though.

I’d love to see Joshua take him on, He’s continually surprised me.

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He's an anomaly really, he looks like a big farmer and he's clearly fat. Just looking at him you expect him to be slow as * and to run out of steam after 6 rounds but yet he's probably a quicker puncher and lasts the pace better than Klitschko or Joshua.

The Fury that fought Klitschko would be too quick, slick and "fit" for Joshua but it remains to be seen how he is now he'll definitely be worse in terms of fitness as he's older and abused his body but he might still be fit enough that if he can last the pace will be able to outbox Joshua.

Lecs and Liam Scales like this.
  3. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I thought you were saying he was the top, above AJ, Wilder and the rest.

Otherwise it seems like we are agreeing.

4. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    What I’ve been really impressed with Joshua has been how he’s adapted under adversity, because it’s been rare throughout his career.

Fury would be the ultimate test for him - if fit.

Him and Wilder would be fun though.

5. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    It would be great to see Fury back, he probably only needs 3 fights as well then he could disappear. A comeback one to get back into the swing of things, then the loser of Wilder and Joshua(if they fight), then if he wins the winner of whoever won that after that he could disappear never to be seen again as thats the only two guys he really needs to fight theres nobody else worth even thinking about. 18 months of getting into decent shape and maintaining it and training well is all the work he has to do for the rest of his life but I canny really see it happening, he seems to go off the rails too much.

6. Nasser

It one of the most irritating things about boxing. Even on a lower level fighters like Kell Brook and Amir Khan who had a beef for years and years and if they ever fight Khan is past it now so it's pointless fight.

I chop and change my view on Tyson a lot. I think he was the most scary fighter we have ever seen and will ever see and the most entertaining, but once Douglas beat him it was then other boxers realized Tyson was beatable. The shear size of Lennox would have caused Tyson problems at any time in Tyson career, but then Lennox would sometimes shut off during a fight and you can't do that against Tyson. Tyson's prime lasted for such a short time, and he aged so fast compared to the same age fighters like Lennox and Holyfield who just beat the breaks off Tyson when they fought him. Douglas also gave Tyson a beating. I think once boxers had worked out that peek a boo style Tyson had he was beatable.

7. scootz

It's all opinion. And in my opinion, Tyson Fury is *.

Yes, he can claim to have briefly been a 'lineal' heavyweight champion, but only since 2009 when Wlad was installed as 'lineal' champion.

The real kudos of 'beating the man who beat the man' came to an end in 2004 when Lennox Lewis retired. His lineage went all the way back to 1956 when Rocky Marciano retired, and that list features superstars galore!

The most recent 'lineal' chain features Wlad and Fury. Hardly a stellar cast!

And as for Wlad - well, classy guy and all that, but he wasn't even the best heavyweight in his family! His record is inflated with * after *, but I guess it wasn't his fault that a large part of his career spanned what was probably the weakest period of heavyweight boxing history.

Hazer likes this.
  8. scootz

Had Mike Tyson remained focused with a steady team around him who knew what they were doing then he could have decided himself when he wanted to hand the belts back.

He was THAT good.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Your opinion of Tyson Fury is one of him as a person, clearly, the same as a lot of people. Those who have any semblance of boxing knowledge wouldn't be stupid enough to compare him to Valuev.

Vitali was a better boxer, agreed, but Wladimir was world class as well. Without a shadow of a doubt. Because it was Fury that ended his legacy suddenly he becomes * - we get it.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The amount of pish I've just read on the last 2 page's has finished me off. Holy * :56:

Fury is without doubt the best technically, doesn't really gas and is quick for a man of his size..

Yes he doesn't sit down on a lot for a heavyweight but his movement is such that he can get away with it, as well as his size and awkwardness..

Having watched that Wilder/Ortiz fight, I'm convinced a fit and active Fury would've schooled him to a points victory. On his best form he makes a mug of the 2 big heavyweight name's at the minute in my opinion. They have the equaliser or as Prince Naseem calls it "a get out of jail card" :56: and almost all the top heavyweights can hurt the other but I feel Fury is all wrong for the elite in the division..

I wouldn't mind seeing Wlad against Wilder next as I can't see Wilders next fight being Joshua when he knocks * out of the extremely overrated Parker..

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  11. scootz

No - I think he's a tool as a man AND a poor heavyweight champion.

There are plenty boxers out there that I think are even bigger tools than him though, but I'm savvy enough to separate the * from the fighter.

Mayweather for example - a monstrous thundercunt of a tool who has a style of fighting that I'm not particularly fond of. I still acknowledge his genius though!

I don't deny that Wlad was world class - but only as it relates to his 'era'. The division was in the doldrums for most of his reign, so he set the (admittedly low) bar. Would he have been world class in the 70's, 80's, or 90's? I suppose he is good enough to appear on most fighters of those periods records, but I suspect his name would have 'L' next to it every time.

Fury's size is the only outstanding asset he possesses, and yes, he utilises it to good effect, so for that I give him credit. He flummoxed a fading Wladimir Klitschko - so again, for that I give him credit. It doesn't change my opinion though that he is a technically-poor boxer who's record has been built against no-marks. I appreciate you can only beat the man who is put in front of you, but look at his opponents - completely unremarkable!

And yes - he is directly comparable to Valuev. Only slightly smaller and less hairy!

12. Nasser

Wlad has retired he won't be fighting anyone, it looks like he spends his days on the beach and * his wife, he's in great shape though still looks ripped all year round.

13. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye i wasn't sure if he'd retired or no..

Fair * to him. It's exactly what I'd be doing..

14. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Tyson Fury does have a glass jaw. he was floored on various occasions on his cliimb up the ranks. Steve Cunningham floored him, Nevin Pajkic floored him, Nicolai Firtha gave him a massive scare, and John McDermott took him to points (many still claim McDermott should have won the fight on points). McDermott was fighting him for the English Championship aswell. Derek Chisora in the first fight caused him big problems too. Right throughout his clime up the ranks he's looked dodgy at times.

AJ has been knocked down by David Price and Wladimir Klitschko. Price is a known knockout merchant and Klitschko is Klitschko.

Fury's best performance ever was against Klitschko and even then it was nowhere near technically brilliant. He is awkward. Thats his main attribute. His doesnt fight in any particular style so he's hard to prepare for. I'm not saying the guy is terrible. I'm saying AJ is way better. And Tyson Fury wouldnt have been in the top 10 if he fought during the 90s.

15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

16. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Tyson lost his invincibility because he lost his focus and Cuss died. He hit the drink, drugs and *. He was still good enough to beat most boxers at the time even while living that lifestyle and not training properly. After he came out of jail his head movement wasnt there at all. If you watch him training in the 80s and his fights during and around his fight with Trevor Berbick, his head movement was lighting, he could get inside a boxer in a mili-second and with that power and hand speed it was game over for almost everyone.

After jail, he just relied on sheer power.....although he was still quick. He didnt have the head movement to get inside a boxer any longer....thats why Holyfield beat him. By the time he fought Lewis it was over for him. What annoys me is people saying that if he had fought Lewis when he was younger he would have wiped the floor with him. This might be true. But what people forget is Lennox Lewis was older than Mike Tyson when they fought each other

17. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

I agree and I've said this in the past. There are many fights when people look back and think "if they were both at their best the other guy would have won". It very very rarely happens though. Even when the result is the opposite of the quote it still happens. i.e Rumble in The Jungle. Although Ali did beat Foreman, many agree that Ali's prime was late 60's just before his ban from boxing.

The majority of fights that have happened when two fighters have been at their best have been outwith the heavyweight division and on the rare occasions that this does happens they have usually proved to be some of the greatest fights ever. i.e Hearns v Hagler, Eubank v Benn 1, Berrera v Margarito or Gatti v Ward etc. But like you said, very rarely has this happened in the heavyweights. It seems to be that a boxer's prime does not last as long in the heavyweight division.

Rocky Marciano though, undefeated with 49 wins from 1947 - 1956. Thats 9 years of being in his prime. Although on the other side of the coin, during this reign he beat an old Joe Louis (who was waaaay past his best at the time). And many say Louis in his prime would have beat him. So the cycle continues............

18. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

* *, some amount of pish posts in here. Tyson fury is pish, he’s just big and awkward, that’s it and Wlad was pish too . Nae bother :56:

hiphopaddict likes this.
  19. celts67

20. Lecs

I'm pish, your pish, he's pish. Everybody is pish :56: