1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Nasser

Canelo and Golden Boy are everything that's bad about boxing at the moment. I'd love to see GGG ice this *.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He is. You can't suggest he isn't then in the next sentence say he deserves to be in the conversation.

Same difference.

3. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Still pish though, Joshua's meant to to be the best about and he's fighting a * nobody would know if he walked past them in the street.

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

It’s not the same difference. He’s not a champion and hasn’t fought in two years so he’s not the top. He’s up around there with a chance of being top again, hence in the conversation.

5. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I’d definitely rather it was the Tyson era, but I’m a casual fan and I was excited about the Wilder Ortiz fight. But outside of Joshua, Wilder, Ortiz, Parker and Fury I’m not arsed other than a few others like Shannon Briggs because he’s a lunatic and Daniel Dubois because he’s an up and comer. Just because of the star power of AJ and Wilder, then the intrigue of Fury coming back the division is in good shape.

6. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I only seen Ortiz once before and mind it was on Sky and Sky were bumming him up like * as if he was a young upcoming boxer, he looked average, slow and well overweight then it came up that he was 36 or something.

7. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

Probably trying to sell a future fight with Joshua.

8. Nasser

I what I hope happens is the two Cruiserweights who are facing off in the super series final Usyk v Gassiev move up to heavyweight division. I generally think they would be at least top 5 if they moved up. Gassiev is quite small but Usyk is 6'3 so he could adjust easily.

9. TimFloyd Gold Member

Clenbuterol

I would hardly class it as a PED.

Asthma medication that has a thermogenic effect helps with fat loss.

It also drains your muscles of taurine and induces crippling cramps.

10. Lecs

I do know what you mean.

Boxing was unbeleivable back then, the heavyweight division in particular was top notch. Maybe I'm only remembering the big names but I don't remember there being as much in other weight divisions.

I suppose you can only * with the * you've got. AJ/Wilder/Fury are pretty entertaining watches. I think Haye is done, but if he demolishes Tony Bellew in an exciting fashion then he puts himself back into the picture as well.

I really like Tyson Fury, I didn't want to at first but he's a * laugh. And to be fair to him, everything he said he would do, he has done. I hope he can come back into boxing at the level he was at before.

I don't know much about Parker to be honest, so no idea what will happen with Joshua. I'm sure Joshua will batter him.

11. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

Thats all that happens in boxing though. Boxers are compared to past boxers. Because thats all their is to compare them to and all there is to go on. When Tyson was up and coming...he was being compared to Joe Frazier constantly....Muhammed Ali was always compared to Joe Louis Louis in the 60s. Thats what happens.

Tyson Fury - a big awkward * of a boxer. Only reason he caused Klitschsko so many problems was that he was bigger than he was and Klitschsko was not used to fighting guys bigger than him. Can you imagine him up against the other Tyson???....glass jaw..too slow....2 rounds....game over...

Wladimir and Vitali Klitschsko - decent enough by any standards of heavyweights, but like previously stated constantly fought boxers smaller than themselves, cause thats what their tactics were based on. When Vitali fought Lennox Lewis he got beat and when Wladimir fought Fury he got beat - two guys the same size as them. Riddick Bowe would have walked through these guys

Denotay Wilder - Some right hand...but little else....would be more suited in a bar fight. Would not have survived against scrappers like Holyfield or boxers like Lewis

David Haye - Turning into an excuse merchant and proving himself to be a bit of a shitebag. Too small to be a heavyweight aswell.

Anthony Joshua - Definetely the best techincally out all previously mentioned. But loves getting drawn into a scrap against fighters far more inferior than himself i.e Dillion Whyte (there was just no need for that). A good boxer if he sticks to boxing and may have survived in previous eras like the 90s. But Lennox Lewis would still have beat him pretty easily I think

12. Nasser

I agree with quite a bit of that but 90's and 70 were just amazing era's for boxing. I don't think we will see that again for a long time. My top ten is a mixture of 90's and 70's fighters with the Klitschsko brothers in there based on their dominace and Vitali having a very close fight against Lennox who I rate as the best 90's boxer above the likes Holyfield,Tyson,Bowe.

Bowe is a strange one as he should have been an all time great but it just didn't work out for him.

Haye had sucess in a weak era in the early 2000's, i don't think history will be that kind to his legacy as soon as he stepped up in level he shat it.

Fury schooled an aged Wlad but still a dangerous Wlad. The size of him would cause most boxers huge problems, but I doubt we will ever know if he just got Wlad on a bad day or if Fury had the potential to be a legend. I won't judge him on his comback because a boxer who gets that out of shape is unlikely to get back to how he was.

13. celts67

Comments Thread For: Canelo Tests Positive For Clenbuterol Ahead of Golovkin Fight
    As part of the voluntary testing program that Canelo Alvarez insisted on ahead of his May 5 fight, one of his results came back positive for trace levels of Clenbuterol, consistent with meat contamination that has impacted dozens of athletes in Mexico over the last years.
    [Click Here To Read More]

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It is the same difference. He’s at the top of heavyweight boxing. Whether you think he’s the best or not the fact you admit he’s in the conversation proves that.

Opinions will be put to the side when he gets his opportunities either within the next few months or at the start of next year when he’s had his tune up fight or 2.

Tyson Fury has a glass jaw? Too slow? AJ is better than him technically?

Aye.

15. scootz

Fury sits at the same table as Primo Carnera and Nikolai Valuev.

Big. And *!

I get that his personality is Marmite and that his fan-boys worship him, but from a boxing point of view, he really has to be considered one of the worst heavyweight champions ever.

He's not currently active, so is irrelevant to the heavyweight championship chat. Maybe wait until he actually steps back in the ring (big if!) to see how he gets on - and then, and only then, he might be relevant again!

Until then, his only relevance lies in discussion surrounding who was the worst heavyweight champion of all time. He's not quite my SOAT (shittest of all time), but he's top 5!

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Fury is both underrated and overated. His fans overate him to * and his detractors underare him.

Truth is he’s a big awkward * of a fighter, and that makes him dangerous in the ring.

Whether he has what it takes to get back to what he was before he ‘retired’? I doubt.

hiphopaddict likes this.
  17. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I would actually have said that Fury is the best technical heavyweight boxer, Klitschko probably was before he got too old but Fury did cruise it against him by outboxing him compared to Joshua who was outboxed by an even older version of Klitschko although still beat him.

Fury's main weakness I would say is despite his size he doesn't seem to hit that hard, compared to Joshua and Wilder anyway. I would say he's probably quicker(punching wise anyway) than both of them though, even despite looking like a big fat * he does last the pace well and his hands are pretty sharp compared to them although his movement around the ring is slower.

Joshua looks the part physique wise and he hits hard but I think he's an average boxer(for top end level) and he doesn't seem to last the pace too well.

I think Fury of 2 years ago would beat Joshua of now, fairly easily but depends what sort of state Fury is now after 2 years of doing fuckall and putting alsorts of weight on, he must have done some damage to himself and maybe won't return as sharp as he used to be.

Lecs likes this.
  18. Nasser

That's bit harsh comparing Valuev with Tyson Fury is like comparing Queen's Park F.C. and Celtic. Valuev was one of the worst belt holders of all time and this is the problem with boxing sometimes these average boxers end up with belts. Fury had to beat the champion in his own backyard and he schooled him (he was probably on PEDS) but he still schooled him.

19. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Another bad part is also in boxing a lot of them seem to fight each other when one is past their best. Like Mayweather and Pacquiao, Mayweather was close to his prime but Pacquiao was probably 3 or 4 years past his best.

With Tyson and Holyfield, Holyfield was probably in his prime and Tyson was finished - same with Tyson and Lewis, even Wlad Klitschko and Fury. Wlad of 3/4 years earlier might have beat Fury and would probably have beat Joshua.

There's not been really any time when two have been at their best at the same time, especially heavyweights, seems to be only like 1 guy good at a time Tyson mid to late 80s, Holyfield early-mid 90s, Lewis late 90s, Vitaly early 2000's, Wlad late 2000/early 2010s and then Fury mid 2010s

Tyson of 1988 or so would probably have beat all of them at their bests, Lewis of 1998 or so would probably have beat all the rest, Vitaly and Holyfield would be close and maybe capable of beating Lewis, Wlad and Fury would probably beat all the rest.

Vitaly Klitschko was probably robbed of a decent career as when he was good there was nocunt to fight and his only one big fight against Lewis I think he was winning before it was stopped and probably would have went on to win but it went down as a loss then he may as well have retired then since he never got a rematch and there was nobody left to fight near as good as him.

Lecs likes this.
  20. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You are clueless if you think the undefeated lineal heavyweight Champion of the World is on Carnera and Valuev's level. Utterly clueless.

Forget his attitude and personality - he was the one that convincingly beat Wlad Klitschko were 14 years of opponents couldn't.

He's way, way, more than big and awkward though - which is the main point.

He is the most technically gifted heavyweight in the World just now. He would play with Deontay Wilder like a cat with a ball of yarn. AJ would have a better chance but still, nowhere near his technical level.

bhoy21 and Free the Adblock like this.