1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Embarrassing.

2. Dianbobo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobo Balde
  3. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Not really one to stay up to watch a boxing bout these days but I did for Lomachenko fight and I am not disappointed. He is legitimately the most freakishly brilliant boxer I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing to watch

4. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

How are you not disappointed?

No fault of Lomachenko’s and you’re right in what you’re saying but he didn’t get to showcase his real talent tonight.

5. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Not really though. They don’t have same fights, BT don’t get all of BN’s. They never had this. The golvokin vs Canelo one was the same.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Bullied. Some showing..

DeGale :56:

7. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I was contemplating paying £12 for this but I was too shattered to stay awake plus I don't understand boxing at a technical level. Golovkin I can understand because he looks made of steel and I don't think he needs technique. He might be very accomplished.
    Sounds like Lomachenko's opponent bit off more than he could chew by moving up two weights, was quite surprised to hear that initially considering the reputation of Lomachenko.
    Gutted Steve Bunce turned out to be a bit naive. I thought he was very well respected in the sport. He did say it would be a good fight so 16/1 is surprising for the opponent. To still say De Gale won by two rounds smells of bias.
    So is Lomachenko going to end up like GGG where noone decent wants to fight him until he's getting old enough to beat?

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Another anti climax for a big boxing event!

9. Aidan O’Shea

Terrible sport these days.

10. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

They did have this cos I watched it, but I had to buy Golovkin Canelo.

11. Nasser

It was a complete non-event because of Rigo. I never want to hear of Rigo again that was pathetic.

If Lomachenko fights Mikey Garcia there is no way earth Garcia is quitting, that generally will be a good fight. The best boxing fights at the moment tend to be UK fights or lower level fights these days apart from AJ v Wlad they have all been a bit of let down even GGG v Canelo was so-so, in what has been a good year for boxing the mega fights have been big let downs.

12. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    I can' see anyone giving Loma problems until he hits Welter. Even then * me, if he fills out then wow where does he stop????

13. Nasser

I'm a strong believer weight divisions for a reason in boxing and size often matters. For me Loma's cut off point is 135 and even then the Mikey Garcia fight is dangerous for Loma as Garcia just looks so much bigger. I think the days of the likes of Pac-Man winning at so many weight classes are long gone because of the tougher drug rules now. If Loma beats Garcia at 135 and then beats Crawford at 140 he's the best of all time imo.

14. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    Bold statement but I see where you are coming from. His speed and footwork will keep him away from almost anyone. He does this while getting his work off too. I can't see him losing another fight but the way he has fought anyone and anybody, he might step up too far. It will take a very special fighter to beat him at any weight. Someone like a naseem hamed who could maybe upset his rhythm and who has dynamite in both hands. I'm not saying Hamed beats him for one second, but it will take someone who offers something tottally different.

Lilac Wine and Nasser like this.
  15. celts67

Holy s--t see this injury on Stephen Smith bad one .

16. celts67

Billy Joe Saunders David Lemieux this weekend looks decent Gary Spike O'Sullivan on the card as well .

This is the guy O'Sullivan's fighting his only loss to Khurtside Antoine Douglas.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  17. Fiferbhoy1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I get what you're saying but evne in those 5 and a bit rounds, I love to just watch Lomachenko's footwork and hand speed. Not the best of fights but he is still really entertaining to watch

18. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Good call in not buying it, it was a let down, although I think a time expecting it to be a great fight from an entertainment perspective was always way off. I get the feeling Rigo took this fight as a means to cash out, still though always dissapointing to see such a talented fighter quit.

I don’t think Loma will suffer the same fate as GGG, in that I can see him having a number of high profile fights in the next few years. It’s tough to see anyone beating him as he is a very, very special fighter.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  19. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    There’s no way a win against Garcia and Crawford would have him even in the running to be considered the best of all time. He would have to do miiiiiiiles more than that.

20. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye I'm glad I didn't buy it.
    But if Nasser says the Garcia fight will be a big test then I think I'll pay to see that as Nasser is probably a better judge than Bunce.
    Mind you it does seem a bit of a stretch to say he'll be the best ever after another two fights.
    I don't know though, everyone I've heard talking about him seem quite awe inspired, like boxing's Messi.
    When is the Garcia fight?