1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Boxing Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Liam Scales, Jul 1, 2011.

Discuss The Boxing Thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Watched an interview with Froch there, and he reckons Groves has the beating of DeGale. Beat him in amateurs and in pro game. I disagree, I think Groves is too cautious now, and DeGale would pick him off easily.
    Froch definitely put a spanner in the works of Groves' career, no question, with that destruction in Wembley.

2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

DeGale would comfortably beat Groves now.

He's tough as old boots but as above, the Froch fights will ultimately be his career definers.

3. Finn Balor

DeGale on points.

4. Swervedancer Guest

What's the story with this fight on Sky Sports 1 just now, Degale fighting Badou Jack, going to be any good?

5. Swervedancer Guest

That was a good fight. I was giving it to Jack then in the last few rounds it looked like De Gale but that knockdown was a beauty. I don't know who's going to get it, I think I would give it to Jack because he seemed more aggressive to me although De Dale did box well.

6. Al Bootyerbaws

Mayweather needs to * off what a * he is man

7. Al Bootyerbaws

Aye when he's finished he'll be the * that was knocked out twice wae Froch. Never liked Groves, I know you need to have confidence but I always think of him as a guy how thinks he's miles better than what he actually is.

8. Swervedancer Guest

Mayweather wasn't happy was he, I missed a bit of what he said but apparently there was 'colourful' language used. He's saying it's a bad night for boxing but I think a draw was fair enough. I thought Jack just edged it but it was really close so it's not surprising at all. Mayweather is so hard to like, he's such a * :giggle1:

9. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Just watched it there, was good to watch, good tempo and plenty of punches thrown from start to finish.

A draw was probably fair, Jack looked more solid and seemed to hit harder and inflicted quite a bit more damage but De Gale looked the classier boxer although his punches didnt seem to carry much weight in comparison.

With 3 to go I thought Jack was probably winning by a point but De Gale done better in 10 and 11 so would have went ahead and then athough he knocked De Gale down De Gale did recover well so he might have saved himself by only getting beat 10-9 instead of 10-8 in the last, if Jack went for it a bit more and pinned him against the ropes and De Gale was just hanging on then he might have won but De Gale actually ended the last 20 seconds or so in the middle swinging at Jack.

Be good to see it again. De Gale would need to not swing as wrecklessly as much and pick and time shots a bit better as he wasted probably a good 100 punches by just swinging and only scraping or swiping fresh air during the fight where as Jack was more on point not wasting a lot. Jack might think in a rematch he could relax and go for a knockout a bit more as De Gale never really hit him with anything that seemed to bother him too much that would have put fear of being knocked out in him.

10. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Great fight. Ended up flaking out and falling asleep before the bill started..

That knockdown was a killer for DeGale at the death as I had him seeing out the last round comfortably 2 or 3 ahead..

Draw and getting this fight to London would be class as that was toe to toe and proper. I rate DeGale even more after that last night and the way he took it to a naturally bigger guy. Bit classless Jack saying all DeGale done was run, as I didn't see that..

Was interesting listening to Jack and that * Mayweather and only one side clearly doesn't want to go through that again....and it's not the guy with loads of his teeth missing..

11. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

What a fight. Absolute class !
    I think DeGale started well, and finished strong, but 'blagged' a few rounds with slaps and weak combos. Apart from the knockdown I don't think Jack looked in trouble at any time, whereas there was a couple of times DeGale looked like he was nearly outta there.
    I had Jack one ahead or even going into the last round, and with the knockdown, him ultimately winning.

Where do we go from here ? Smith will be licking his lips at the thought of going in with either of they two. I would fancy him too. But will he get the fight now, or is it a rematch ?

12. Nasser

Floyd is a utter scumbag he's destroying Boxing even after his retirement he still manages to * over the sport. Floyd is just angry as he lost so much money betting on the fight as he's gambling addict. "bad night for boxing" *! what * Floyd is that was a good fight with good undercard fights.

13. Swervedancer Guest

Aye everyone, pundits, judges and punters, were in general agreement a draw was a fair result after a good fight.

Mayweather should have been thanking his lucky stars De Gale wasn't as crafty as he was when Jack had a Victor Ortiz moment for some reason. It was within the rules but what a * :giggle1:

14. Onefootwonder

The ref did well to last after getting a swift punch to the mouth. He'd have been on the deck if Jack didn't catch him.:giggle1:

15. Onefootwonder

Here's the clip here.

Keano88 and Swervedancer like this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I thought the ref was excellent after that. Caught him bang flush as well..

Dusted himself off a couple time's and carried on :56:

Agree with those saying Smith would've been licking his lips last night. He'd fancy and cause both of those big problem's downstairs especially..

Really want to see that fight again over here though, but doubt the Jack camp will fancy it..

17. Swervedancer Guest

That was a close one, seen Jack after the fight saying to him you can hit me now :giggle1:

18. ORIGINALS

Not the biggest boxing fan in the world but got tickets today for Joshua klitschko :84: Could anyone more educated than me take a guess at the walkout time and undercard please?

19. Nasser

The undercard has not been released yet. I think Katie Taylor the Irish female boxer will be a cert to be on the card. Buglioni vs Burton 2 might be on there I missed their 1st fight but apparently it was one of the best fights of the year so hopefully that is on the undercard, other than that it will be a pretty standard undercard but as the headline fight is so good I think Eddie will get away with it. I heard they have sold over 80k tickets already and trying to make it 90 thousand tickets available so it will be the biggest attended fight in UK history. I wish I had a ticket for it it will be amazing night. I'm really looking forward to the fight for me this is one of the most exciting boxing fights in years. edit: I think Joshua is due on around 10 start but normally everything is late in boxing so it might be 10:40 start.

ORIGINALS likes this.
  20. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

Ohhhhhh Ricky, Ricky.
    Just got my Burns tickets. :boxing: :67:

Nasser and gerard1888 like this.