1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The best song intro ever

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Belfast-hoops, Sep 22, 2011.

Discuss The best song intro ever in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    @Swervedancer Oops yep i see that now kudos @Zanderama, that Sting version is pretty strange but good in it's own way,as in not quite it but like you say homagesque, deffi interesting, I used to play a few Jimi songs back in the day when i had my old strat, prolly my fave jimi songs were, castles, little wing and crosstown traffic. As i got older my tastes started getting into the more heavier side of things, but i still love that whole genre.

Also stevie's work on that end bit of crossroads was excellent, I like the run he plays when he takes his jacket off before the whole band kick in, effectionately known as "The Intimidation lick" lol.

bagforlife, Zanderama and Lilac Wine like this.
  2. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Vai put in an excellent cameo performance as an actor I thought. He's easily in the top 5 most important electric rock guitarists, the level he introduced and the new musical landsccapes was mindboggling.

I was actually raging at the TV when I first seen that movie :ranting2: "how is he meant to copy note for note a classical tune this guy's been learning at Julliard for years and devil or no devil, nae * is copying Mozart's Alla Turca note for note after one listen, I mean Mozart was so good the Devil probably asked him for lessons!"

Never usually get carried away with fictional story lines but that was a step too far. Thing is, he nearly did it too, just bending that note too high.

Folk were trying to attribute that to Cooder but although for sure Ry does the beautiful slide guitar blues, that virtuoso stuff is all Vai, Frank Zappa's stunt guitarist at 19, how mental is that. I actually listened to it closely one night and convinced myself he used a Telecaster like in the film but the Tele doesn't have the extra fret the strat has so it sounded like he was bending that high note on the Tele travelling at 200bmp or something else insane. He's that technically accomplished I believe it.

This is the man responsible for the classical pieces, lovely piece but insanely difficult.

3. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    For every Celtic supporter this intro should be recognisable. If the kids dont know then get them to listen to this song about a true Celtic legend.

Lilac Wine and bagforlife like this.
  4. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

5. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    HAHAHA Raging at the tv LOL, I can just picture you shouting at it.."Pish!! no way, that's not right".
    But yeah you got a point, there is no way on one listen someone could emulate note for note a classical piece of such complexity. He did do it well tho just that he overbent and the string snapped so he was out, whereas the tele with a slide well the slide can literally fret right up to the bridge. Vai used a Red Charvel San Dimas in the choppin heads part you see there.
    As far as i was aware too Ry Cooder did all the slide work and via did everything else. I heard after they did that wee Ralph was so impressed with Steve he got him to give him guitar lessons. LOL

bagforlife and Lilac Wine like this.
  6. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    That's great to hear he got guitar lesson from Vai who I'm pretty sure is one of the best teachers in the world along with Satriani who taught Vai initially.

Know what I love about that film, it took a really powerful idea, selling your soul to the Devil and managed to pull it off while remaining interesting. I mean the first issue I would've raised is how on earth are we going to demonstrate the kind of skills the * Devil gives you? But Vai played the role to perfection and along with Cooder they captured the deep south and the origin of blues alongside the new highly technical modern electric rock that Vai, as far as I'm concerned, is the best proponent even though I love Morello, Vai's range is terrifying.

There is a great mystery surrounding Robert Johnson, eye witnesses say he used to get laughed at cause he really wanted to play guitar but hanging about with great players he appeared *. Then he disappears for 6 months and comes back playing possibly the best acoustic that's been played (not including mental Flamenco players). Some of the songs he recorded sound like two people playing, it's unbelievable and blew me away the first time I listened to it, back in my post work herbal relaxation periods :drag:

This link is good for a bit of fun:

Ralph Machio also got karate lessons when he made the Kid. He looks about 18 and I think he's 26 around the time of those films.

Wonder if that's why he retired, Steve Vai showed him it's much better being excellent at guitar than acting :tongue1:

Just wanted to add a note with regards the guitars you mentioned, Charvel and Jackson made/make beautiful guitars I think. Mind you I think Vai's Ibanez is the most beautiful electric I've seen. I always thought Jimi stuck almost exclusively to Strats, especially Red House which sounds like a strat to me but apparently he used a Flying V when recording the 3 studio versions of that.

I wish Hendrix lived longer for obvious reasons but just hearing him play 12 string for the first time I couldn't help wondering what beautiful sounds he would've got from that almost orchestral sounding guitar. His hands were giant so he could've been so versatile and I bet the chords he came up with would've been transcendental.

Robert Johnson and Jimi died age 27 :rip_1::rip_1:

Thank goodness for recording equipment.

Nice John Thomson song, so sad.

Sonic Youth guitarists are innovators of the highest order, absolutely love what they do with guitars, mad tunings and using drum sticks etc.

How to make an Olympic Ceremony intro, start with the Broony:

bagforlife and scuzzy like this.
  7. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    @Swervedancer Yeah it was a really well thought out movie, clever. I've never seen that Robert Johnson mini docu before but it was really interesting.

Yep i like the Jacksons I have two myself, I tried a few of the Jem Ibanez's before was always wanting to get one but I just didn't like the way they felt to play for some reason. I ended up getting the satriani one the JS1200. so comfortable and easy to play.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  8. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

loved them and baby I love you appeals too all ages for me

9. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

10. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

A few songs av listened to tonight..

11. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

12. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Don't like James at all to be honest Lou Reed in the velvet underground i like

13. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

Banana album

Jack Torrance likes this.
  14. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Yip, The Velvet Underground and Nico, a classic.

15. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

16. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

17. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

18. bagforlife Gold Member Gold Member

19. Bunk Moreland

Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Epic.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  20. Bunk Moreland