1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Dáibhí, Mar 2, 2016.

Discuss The 2016 Scottish Elections Thread in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Markybhoy

What were Labour thinking. Full stop. :smiley-laughing002:

2. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye I know how the voting system works mate all I'm saying is I don't think it's very fair. Personally I'm not a fan of tactical voting, I vote with my conscience and that meant I couldn't vote for the Green party, I think you can understand that.

Either way it looks likely there will be a majority of pro-indy MSP's but I'll stress what I said yesterday, there can't be another referendum if there's no shift in opinion. It'd kill the dream stone dead.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
  3. Markybhoy

Well one of the things this voting system tries to eliminate is tactical voting. There's certainly less tactical voting with this system than we see with the first past the post system.

I agree with you about the referendum. The SNP didn't put it in their manifesto and they have now lost their majority at Holyrood. Indyref2 is off the table for at least the next five years in my view.

4. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda

Wish I had done that now :rolleyes:

5. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

Shut up ya tool.

6. Dáibhí

All we've heard from most folk who are pro-SNP is that you have to vote for them to have a chance of a second independence referendum!!

Yes, you did.

I actually think that with the new & improved powers the Scottish Government have from next year after the Scotland bill comes into play that passion for another referendum any time soon will die out even further.

The truth is, it was a once in a generation deal most likely. We got our vote, the people had their voices heard, and that's that.

The SNP will continue to peddle the mystical 2nd referendum as long as they can, because it's a vote winner. It keeps them in power, and keeps their MSP's and MP's in jobs.

That's what happens when the main factor in voting is still independence, unfortunately.

Both sides have been just as guilty of it.

7. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda

8. Markybhoy

If Brexit win we may very soon get to see that argument tested. The SNP will now need the support of the Greens if they want to push for a quick Indyref2 post Brexit.

9. Dáibhí

There isn't going to be a quick referendum. We're not going to exit the EU either, as even if the vote comes in for "leave" you'll see some major amendments to the EU constitution in order to save the pact.

And even if there is, it won't matter. There won't be enough Scottish people changing their minds based on the EU situation to make a difference to the result of a referendum on independence. The subject will always be divided down the line of Unionism and nationalism.

That's not going to change.

10. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Final results in, 63 seats snp.
    .can this work like the 2010 general election? If the snp and greens set up a coalition to form a majority ?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

11. wulliebad

wow....scotland.....you get everything you deserve...* me.

12. daschoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    caldwell, hinkel
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    I actually think it's a great result. An SNP, Green coalition but the SNP don't have a clear majority so can't push through whatever they like ie closing courts, offensive behaviour act

13. JamesM09

That's a good point mate.

As an aside, I understand why people haven't voted Labour, but why the * switch from Labour to the 'Conservative and UNIONIST party' .. I mean for * sake :smiley-laughing002:

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You never disagreed with me on that because I have never and would never suggest the Tories would win or go close at a Scottish Election. :56:

15. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

Because they are the Unionist party. SNP get the independence supporters and now the Tories get the bulk of the Unionists.

Both parties play themselves up as such and get the votes. Labour, who seem to be stuck in between suffer.

And Scotland ends up with politics like the north of Ireland.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2016
  16. Dáibhí

I don't think it's all that difficult to see why, really.

As I mentioned, the SNP (to a degree, with their followers mainly being to blame) have run this campaign on the idea that a vote for the SNP will somehow lead to another independence vote.

What that has done is given those disillusioned Labour voters who either voted no or don't want another independence vote a tough choice to make.

Most of them would probably have happily jumped from Labour to the SNP based on party policies alone, but with independence still being at the forefront they've been turned off by that and have went with the 'Tories.

The rise in Conservative votes is due in most part to people not wanting another independence referendum and being disturbed by the chat from SNP followers that a majority Parliament will see that come about.

Sadly, Scotland's vibrant political scene, where we saw votes spread among a whole host of progressive parties, has now been dumbed down to a vote for the SNP if you want independence, and a vote for the 'Tory's if you don't.

Meanwhile, no one gives a flying * what the actual policies of either party are.

EDIT: Or, what the fella above has just said! :smiley-laughing002:

17. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Hope the SNP opt not to go into coalition with the Greens. Would harm their standing as a responsible governing party.

18. JamesM09

See what I was thinking was most of Labours lost votes would be those who've now swung to independence. I figured that if you're a unionist you would still vote for Labour seeing as they are unionist, but I get what you're saying now. :50:

19. mmmikey

Fav Celtic Player:
    McStay, Moravcik, Di Canio, LARSSON!
    Please explain!

20. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    :31::31: Fekkin Ayr vote tory again ..... I'm moving !!