1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TC Jukebox: What are you listening to now?

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Sideshow Bob, Jun 27, 2008.

Discuss TC Jukebox: What are you listening to now? in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. clonbhoy

Unfortunately, I never saw him live. I was due to go and see him shortly after he died. I only got into them after he read out the classifieds on Final Score 2005. Cork City had won the league the night before, Celtic beat Rangers 3-0, a scoreline I had correctly predicted in the bookies, and MES came on Final Score and a guy I didn't know, but whose company I was in in the pub, it was one of those weekends, waxed lyrical about the great man and I became a convert. The man was a proper maverick and a true genius.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  2. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    For sure, very few musicians can be so original and grab your mind and take it on a trip for a couple hours like him, it's a natural born gift.

Sounds like an excellent weekend, bet his Final Score reading was some craic, liking your prediction too :party22:

Sometimes YouTube autoplay throws out a beauty, this guy is passionate, haha sounds like he's pulling me up for pulling you up, sorry :rofl:

clonbhoy likes this.
  3. clonbhoy

IDLES are class. 'Danny Nedelko' was the best new song I heard last year and with a brilliant message. Great riff, great lyrics with lots of anger and energy.

Lilac Wine likes this.
  4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

5. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    clonbhoy likes this.
  6. clonbhoy

A shoegazing classic. Haven't heard that in a while! Had to put this on next:

Lilac Wine likes this.
  7. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Stunning, what a beautiful song :100:

clonbhoy likes this.
  8. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You're coming out with some tunes tonight! Not heard that before but cool, just seen they were signed by Creation Records, Glasgow label? They signed some classics. This makes all indie lovers fall into each others arms and cry like babies :dancing::49::dancing:

9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Creation classic. If you want to know what tinnitus sounds like, go to an MBV concert, only gig I've seen them handing out ear plugs at the door, and I soon found out why * * I didn['t need to leave the house and go to the Barras could've just opened the window, mental :56:

10. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I only found out what this song is about last year, feels weird singing it with the gusto I used to, she is amazing though so I just think, of course it's about me :smoke:

11. clonbhoy

Three of my favourite bands in a row there @Swervedancer. Impressive!
    Creation was a magic label, even if McGee is a hun. He did once say that all the cool people are Celtic fans.

Saw MBV again last year, Shields still has it! Speaking of the tinnitus, I believe one of the earliest reviews of their fellow Creation Records' stablemates, JAMC, that contained the line: "if they like feedback so much, why don't they get a job at Lanarkshire council?"

That is a cracking video of 'Gigantic'. You can see the hatred between him and Kim that really drove their live shows.The lyrics are fairly obvious, when you think about. Their lyrics are all over the shop as Frank had a strict religious childhood and had the bible forced down his throat, which is why he has a lot of sexual repression in his lyrics, and vocals, and a lot of bizarre biblical references mixed in with cheap science fiction references. The coolest man in the world though. Bald, overweight and still takes over whatever room he walks into. He does not give a *.
    I'm a big Placebo fan, but he walks on the stage here and you forget that this is a Placebo concert. What a * song too!

Lilac Wine likes this.
  12. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
  13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I've been reading a little about a few musician I've known a while but know nothing about.

Love the idea of Glenn Branca, he must be one of the most original daredevils involved in taking guitar music to a whole new place. To have the patience never mind the creativity is such a strange thing about random humans.

I've been wondering why do we laugh when were music that is way beyond the normal stuff we listen to, stuff that is excellent and will always listen to, then there are people who are so different is beyond comprehension? I mean it's a joyous laughter, maybe it's way beyond even our thought of having 5 guitars all with totally different string set ups and tunings which this guy wrote aggressive punk style music for though I imagine with that kind of mind it would be a bit more sophisticated than punk.

Not that I'm against punk, brother has Never Mind The Bollocks. I was about 4 when I frst wanted it played again. We'll that lyric, 'and her fascist regime." I didn't know what it meant but I knew it wasn't good. The pure energy of punk wassomething else although I personally didn't experience although I'm a snob and if someone spat in my face I don't care how many swatikaw are on your forehead your baws are getting booted. Then I get a doing. Guess that was punk, break our own laws and get a doing trying to bring justice.

I'm sure the philosophy of Anarchy got lost completely during punk era.

Have to take my hat off to Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo and Pixies Joey Santiago, sometimes the music is so good I missed the textures and fills being an essential part of the atmosphere. I was going to say something facile like they are the best guitarists since Page (even though I prefer Beck) I think they created a major change in the evolution of the instrument, so many technical guitarists have been doing that for ages. They don't use them as guitars though, change the tuning and put drumsticks under the strings to see what happens. They experiment like that all day every day when they're writing for an album. Very honourable approach to creation.

I think Vai is almost a * but if I had a desert island choice I would have to flip a coin, Daydream Nation Or Doolittle. Plus I would never if I lived anouther 200 years even attempt trying to play one of his songs. He's another musical freak with extraordinary abilities.

There are quite a few that would be perfect for other moods though. But Teenage Riot is one of the all time great guitar intros and riffs, like top ten since time began. I bet it's like 460 on Rolling Stone list ha, but first time I heard it I felt as if my life changed, it was so new.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  14. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  15. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
  16. clonbhoy