1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tam Rogic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Heisenberg, Jan 17, 2013.

Discuss Tam Rogic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

100% but it's how often that we've got him fully firing that's becoming a serious issue.

We're paying the guy more than £20k per week and he's basically not kicked a ball for us since December 2018. Something has to change.

It remains to be seen if that's a compromise on his side to sit out of international games til he has a consistent run of fitness or if it's us deciding that it's unsustainable to burden that cost and looking to sell him.

Jax Teller likes this.
  2. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I'd punt. It's almost a mythical thing that hes unplayable. Cant remember the last time he was even on the park and been unplayable.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We don’t know what his wages are or the structure of his contract, if he’s clearing £20k while benched I’d be extremely surprised.

He was fit for the majority of the season for 3 years or so. Rodgers * him up majorly, we’re currently trying to undo that damage. As far as I’m concerned we owe it to him to give it our best shot, because we didn’t act in his best interests at all. He wasn’t the only one we treated like this.

Spring Time and Tommy25 like this.
  4. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

There's not a chance he signed a 5 year deal in May 2018 unless it was a very lucrative offer. His stock was high at the time. I'm sure there was an article last year that said our average first team wage was £16,500; Tam will certainly be in upper rungs of our wage structure.

It wasn't just with Rodgers though, he's had periods of absence in every season for us.

Capture.JPG

He's a fantastic player for us and delivers in the big games but we need it more often from him.

5. Jax Teller

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thumb
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Soldier song
    I just don’t think we could replace him like for like, for the money received for him/wages he’s on.

so personally I’d rather have a sometimes fit Rogic over an average player.

6. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

There is absolutely no incentive to sell Tom rogic. He is working his way back to fitness and is worth way more to us fit and on form, naturally what follows is either we get a great player back or at least his value increases if he wanted to leave.

Punting him in January is of absolutely no use to anyone.

Personally I cannot wait to see him strutting his stuff again.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He has but like I said the majority of the time he was available and we absolutely * that last season. We knew this would be the outcome and didn’t give a single * about it.

Like you said but, we knew about his injury history, Lawwell isn’t daft when it comes to money, I doubt it’s structured to shaft us during those injuries.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  8. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Not quite like-for-like but the form Christie's in has minimised the loss of Rogic.

Christie doesn't have the grace or composure that Rogic does but he has a better engine and offers more when defending. For me he's better suited to playing in Europe, his burst of speed and assist for Edouard against Leipzig last season as an example.

It's good to have both in our pool of players but for me the no.10 spot is Christie's lose. If someone told me 13 months ago I'd be saying that, I'd have told them to put down the crackpipe.

Jax Teller and Sean Daleer like this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I agree with that but I also think the last two games we’ve dropped points suits a fully firing Rogic a lot, packed tight defences, where he manages to find space where you don’t think there’s any.

Tommy25, Lewis Kerr and Sean Daleer like this.
  10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Horses for courses. Having two very different number 10s can only be good for us.

Tommy25, Dan Breen, Rydo1888* and 3 others like this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Definitely mate, the more options the better.

Tommy25, Liam Scales and Sean Daleer like this.
  12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Ideally I don't want the big man sold but his injuries are beyond ridiculous..

13. donnegal celt

He rogic away on honeymoon or will he be available for weekend

14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Need to get him fit, firing on all cylinders and just rotate with Christie.

15. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

As good as a player as he is we could pay that wage to someone who can do it majority of the season at least. No point in being a great player if your only a great player for 30% of the season. We can move on.

Great memories tam, but a club the size of ours can find a more consistent ability

16. Mr Cleansheets

Someone asked earlier about Aussies who come onto the forum.

I am a Celtic fan (in that Celtic have always been my team in Scotland) but I do confess to having an especial interest in the Australians. Always looked out for the Celtic results when Viduka and McDonald were playing and joined the forum when Rogic joined.

Also, unlike many in clubland, my team priority is always the NT. I'm unapologetic about that.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Honestly, don’t think it’s really aimed at you that, you’re usually fine.

18. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    A drain on the wage bill, needs punted.

19. MAP

No; this is a reference to Rodgers from last year.
    Of course Celtic FC pay his wages. They bought a player that was an international, and still is, just as they pay wages for a host of other international players. 'The game' makes allowances for players to play internationals, with international breaks etc. As such, I think it would be somewhat unreasonable for someone to think it is fine for a player to play club football injured, but then not play an international because of that injury, in the current context of the game (don't get me wrong, I can understand why someone might have such a view). Of course, there may be instances where the travel etc may exacerbate an injury, and that then might justify a player not playing said international.

If Rogic were to retire from international football tomorrow, and that meant I got to see him in a Celtic shirt consistently for the next few years, I'd probably be okay with that. This is largely due to the fact that I just enjoy seeing him play (and international football is so infrequent). Certainly, I prefer to see Rogic running around in a Celtic shirt, than attending an international against poor opposition, or in an otherwise meaningless game.

There have also been earlier posts slating the Aussie manager for calling Rogic up when injured. I think these were unfair. Arnold does not strike me as a manager that would unnecessarily jeopardise a players well-being, particularly Rogic, who I think he has a soft spot for. Arnold was Rogic's first manager, giving him his chance at the Central Coast Mariners; it was Arnold also that allowed Rogic to trial with Celtic when he was suspended (even though his advice to Rogic was to spend another year in the A-league given he was so raw); Arnold was reported to have tried to have Rogic loaned to a J-League side early on in his Celtic career; Arnold too is a noted manager for giving youth an opportunity. In light of this (and the many interviews I've heard), I tend to think that Arnold would not needlessly jeopardise Rogic's well-being (as opposed to what some posters on here seem to think), when he calls him up for an international. I think also it is important to note that Arnold sees the value in getting minutes on the pitch for a players club (who doesn't?), you only have to see his recent view on Arzani's situation, that if he can't get game time soon, he should move. It is difficult to see how Arnold wouldn't have the same view about Rogic getting regular minutes for Celtic, which would be made difficult by having him fly halfway around the world for an international.

I could of course be wrong, and Arnold might be a ruthless man, but I don't think so.

Not sure if this was aimed at me. If so, no; and I don't appreciate the assertion that I might have belittled the club (go find some evidence), and I don't go out of my way to be rude to other posters.

20. StevieBhoooy!

Probably done his cocksyx now..

bagforlife and Spring Time like this.