1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

TalkCeltic Greatest Celtic XI (no Lisbon Lions) - Inside Forwards/Wingers

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Jeremie Frimpong, Apr 19, 2018.

Discuss TalkCeltic Greatest Celtic XI (no Lisbon Lions) - Inside Forwards/Wingers in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Vote Patsy Gallacher (RW)

Vote Adam McLean (LW)

This was by far the toughest decision for me to make here. Wingers are the entertainers of the game. The ones that get bums off seats in anticipation of that bit of magic, a show, trickery, fancy footwork, running at defenders and skinning them for fun. And Celtic have had no shortage of superb artists in this area. From the days of Davie 'the Dancer' Hamilton, Gallacher, McInally, McLean, Tully and Johnstone the tradition and pedigree goes on, all the way to more recent times with the likes of Maloney, McGeady, Forrest, Sinclair and Roberts.

So many to choose from. So how to choose? It wasn't easy. It came down to a choice of three. Gallacher, Tully and McLean.

In the end I went for Gallacher on the right and McLean on the left.

Why?

Apart from being in Lisbon in 1967, if there was a single moment in the history of the club I wish I could have been in attendance for (and be able to see) to witness, it would have been the 1925 Scottish Cup Final. The day of Gallacher's miraculous somersault goal. Although he is famed for so much more than this one celebrated goal, it is this one that has cemented his place in the team ahead of some of the others I've mentioned.

Oh, and 192 goals in 464 games is not a bad tally for a winger either. Just saying.

Which leaves me having to explain why Adam McLean ahead of Charlie Tully. Both were superb left wingers who created moments of magic and Charlie Tully could consider himself very unlucky to miss out here. But I've gone for McLean for one very simple reason.

James Edward McGrory.

McGrory is my striker. The guy holds just about every scoring record that the club has and it's unlikely will ever be matched. He was a finisher bar none, the finest that has ever worn the Hoops, and is especially noted for his ability in the air and heading the ball. So why was this key?

Considering the reputation that McGrory had, and although assists were not recorded back in that era, logic then would suggest that a whole heap of those goals from crosses sent over from the wide areas. Enter McLean. We know that McLean set up a lot of those goals and in terms of actually producing was a more consistant performer than the mercurial McInally on the other wing. If McGrory is there to score goals then put in a man who set up a whole ton load of them up.

Not to mention that McLean was a very prolific scorer in his own right, as one of the top 10 goal scorers in the clubs history, and one of the very few to have not been and out and out striker, scoring 138 goals in 408 games, so roughly a goal every 3 games, which think everyone would agree is a very good return for a winger. Which again is far higher a return than Tully (47 goals in 319 games).

As much as I admire Charlie Tully, just given the formation am working with and who we know had an exceptional understanding and ability to produce chances for McGrory as my main marksman, then McLean gets the nod.

Marty McFly likes this.
  2. Jo-Jo-Buffon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    walk alone on a champs league night
    Nakamura

Samaras (as i loved the greek ghod)/Maybe put Burns there to get him in , aye go for Burns

Mentions to Collins an thommo

3. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Vote Regi Blinker
    Vote Momo Sylla

4. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    I would have Koki over Momo