1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart Armstrong

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by KEVG, May 30, 2018.

Discuss Stuart Armstrong in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oh bhoy

Was pretty obvious he 'd be off after only signing on for another year i think £7 million is about right

2. horseshoe

Always have to take figures in the press with a massive pinch of salt, but if we're getting anything over 5m for someone with a year left on his contract and didn't exactly have a great season, it's a smashing bit of business.

Peej likes this.
  3. CodyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes Finder
    Good luck to him, hopefully he does well and we can benefit from another sell on clause. I also hope we put some of that money into a centre back

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

3-5-2.. is the perfect formation for Scotland.. BR plays a kinda 3-4-2-1 tho...

We are crying out for an extra ST in the box at times and Forrest and KT can provide plenty of width.. below is just one personnel variation.. we defo have the players.

Gordon
    Simunovic Ajer Boyata
    Forrest Brown Ntcham KT
    Rogic
    Griffiths Dembele

5. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

What games do you recall where we looked better with 3 at the back than 4?

I can think of 6 off the top of my head that we were pretty poor. Hibs 2-2 game (H), Hibs 1-2 (A), Hamilton 2-1 (A), Motherwell 0-0 (A) Kilmarnock 0-1 (A)

Tierney is the best LB in the country - if not the UK - putting him at LWB leaves the defence considerably less solid in my opinion. Yes he's excellent going forward but he is rock solid at the back and rarely gets beat by his man when in a back 4. If we could get a similarly solid RB in then I think we'd be much stronger. That continuity could only help for going into Europe too.

6. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    7 majillion spondoodles?!?!

Absolutely.

:58:

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We played a 3-4-2-1 with great success on many occasions last season.. 3-0 at Aberdeen sticks in the mind..

Just feel we’re too predictable an extra striker in the box would make a big difference imo.. Would like it changed up from the start of games now and then. KT can play any position down that flank a RB of similar ilk would give us a great option in a 4 at the back, but until then I would persevere with the 3..

I get he wants to have Brown, Ntcham, McGregor and Rogic all on the park at once they make us tick, but domestically 3-5-2 defo works as MON would testify.. as teams sit so deep in Scotland.. BR tho has other ideas..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Tony. likes this.
  8. KEVG

bid started off at 5, its been raised but its not 7 as quoted. Crystal palace and Brighton also in for him, Newcastle enquired but come to nothing. This happened early in the week, terms are agreed in principal. Few minor things to iron out but its all but done.
    Truth is he was very very close to signing for Southampton last summer and stayed last minute.

The Thumb likes this.
  9. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    If we have a sell on fee then it's a great deal. £7 million, he does well the sell him for £15+.

Also really hate us playing 3 at the back, any formation that is 3 centre backs I've never liked. Hope we got 4 at the back and something that lets Édouard and dembele play in the same team.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

10. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    7 million? Yeee * haaaaa

11. HectorTheTaxman Formerly The Spider

Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    £7m for someone who isn't first choice. Great business

12. Martybhoy53

One of the add ons is if Southampton stay in the EPL.

13. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    What's the deal then??

14. Martybhoy53

£7M upfront plus add ons for avoiding relegation and set appearances.

15. Martybhoy53

Dundee Utd have a 10% sell on fee so they will benefit.

16. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    Out of contract next summer and free to speak to clubs in January, so 7m is great business for someone not even in our best 11.

In fairness he’s never hid his English premier league ambitions. He’s not a “Celtic man” so he had no emotional attachment to stay either. He was at Celtic for 3 years, and only produced the goods in about 12 months of that time, the rest of the time he was poor, average or injured, so 7m is good business and a decent profit. I wish him well tbh, I’ve no bitterness towards him at all. He’s a good player but McGregor, Rogic & Ntcham all superior.

17. Roskopicachu

Add-ons? They're having a laugh surely. Reckon it's an absolute steal, but from our point of view - good business.
    Can mean only one thing really. A new signing coming in.
    Armstrong's been brilliant for us. Good ambassador for the game and always showed 100% commitment, so i disagree with Sutton's comments.
    Armstrong did the right thing staying another season. Not every player would have done that.
    So i disagree with the comment that Armstrong's not shown the right attitude. Although i'm glad he's gone but more because on a football level next season he'd be on the bench.

Tony. likes this.
  18. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough, I can remember more substandard performances and think it makes us more predictable but it's all a game of opinions.

It's good we have the flexibility to do it if a game requires it, the Motherwell 4-3 game of 2016/17 being a great example.

3-5-2 can be effective like MoN's team but he had 3 big no nonsense defenders in the mould of Balde, Valgaeran, Mjallby and Lennon sitting just in front protecting them. MoN wasn't expecting them to be ball-players and play out from the back in the same way that Brendan does.

MoN also went with the continuity of 3-5-2 whether it was domestic or European football, at a time when we could go toe-to-toe with Europe's finest. If we tried to do that now we'd be gubbed.

I think when we're on our game in a 4-2-3-1 we're unplayable. If we can get a new RB in and Sinclair back to his 16/17 form I think we could be better than the invincible seaosn, given the progress of some of the squad since then.

Jordann and JC Anton like this.
  19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    7 million is good business, let's hope we invest it straight away

20. gazb1888

A straight swap for Tadic would have been nice :34:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.