1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuart Armstrong

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Xavier Woods, Feb 2, 2015.

Discuss Stuart Armstrong in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PeeKay Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Just a contract so we can maximise his value. He obviously doesn't want to be here so he'll be a squad player this season and then punted in the summer.

The IRA likes this.
  2. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I imagine there's a release clause then for him to be sold next summer. Glad its done and now he can concentrate on the pitch.

3. Free the Adblock Gold Member Gold Member

What a *. For being such a supposedly smart man, Armstrong hasn't made the smartest of moves with this * of an agent and this window.
    I consider punting him this window, maximise the fee. If not, January at latest.

celtic20 likes this.
  4. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    1 year deal * off!

Punt him right now!

SeanBhoy7 likes this.
  5. SeanBhoy7

Don't see the point in a 1 year extention, we will be in exactly the same place this time next year.
    Would prefer if we just sold him and got someone else in.

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Happy he's signed, so he can focus on football. Not fussed about the relatively short contract length as he's not irreplaceable. As long as we make profit on him, I'll be happy.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  7. celtic20

Pretty sure they were a lot younger for a start. Unless he properly tears it up at a mid-table club then there's no chance the likes of Chelsea or City will pick him up in his 30s

Seán Mac D likes this.
  8. CodyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes Finder
    I would imagine he's signing the one year extension to ensure he's still in the Scotland squad. If he didn't sign he wouldn't play for Celtic and would be unlikely to be in the starting 11 for Scotland. He also will want to showcase his talents so he can join the best team possible

9. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    He's a good player but I agree he's not in the VVD or Wanyama category. With both of them you could tell that they were completely capable of going straight in to the top teams in the premiership, with Stuart I think it's more a case of being mid-table or in a relegation scrap. He's at a similar level to Ledley rather than Wanyama or VVD. He may well be happy with that though and prefer a mid table EPL team to Celtic.

It's all a bit underwhelming tbh. A years extension suggests to me that he's not really sold on being here for the long term, which means he'll probably play a reduced role this year. That in itself is an issue as he really has to play here - and play well - to get a move down south to anything better than relegation level sides. I really think his agent has advised him poorly here.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  10. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    * that. Sell him now.
    We will then have a fee from him and CL money to get Paddy and find another hidden gem to develop as a replacement.

11. shaunm

Same mate,as you said,he isn't a Celtic fan,he knows he can get a lot more money down south,his wee pal Robertson will be telling him how much he is earning at Liverpool.If I was in his shoes and wasn't a Celtic fan I would be looking at the mental money getting spent in England at the minute and want some of it.

12. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    Totally messing us around. No wonder there was a stand off. I would have said no and just punted him before the deadline.

13. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He's too good to be sitting on the bench, we've got a lot of games and the squad will be rotated more. Brown Ntcham Rogic are our main 3 starting in midfield, Armstrong, McGregor & Benyu back up and good options for different systems.

14. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    Wow! There is now way he's in the same category as VVD or Wanyama. In fact he is closer to Miller than the above two as he had more of an impact here. Armstrong has had a good 6 months nothing more nothing less.

15. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    no idea why everyone is saying 1 year deal.. everything I've read says he signed a 2year deal.

16. saltire78

I think we all expected him to sign a 3 or 4 year deal, including the club. Stalling leveraged against us getting a decent fee. Club will now be actively working on his exit strategy... definitely won't turn down £7m type figures again

17. SeanBhoy7

One year extention. Basically the next 2 seasons.

18. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    He already has 1 year left so the new deal reaplaces this one. Signed till summer 2019 which is 2 years away i.e. 1 year extension

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He had a year left on his previous deal. That expired in 2018. He's signed a new contract that extends to 2019. So it's one year more on what he already had, on more money too.

20. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I would be comfortable selling him now we've seen how good a Brown|Ntcham partnership can work. McGregor can comfortably slot in there if needed, plus Eboue when he's back. If he wants to go and we can get upwards of £4m, which could go towards a centre half or another midfielder to replace him then I would let him go.

There's obviously been a bit of solid interest as his head looks all over the place.