1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Still think we'll win the league?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 30, 2019.

Discuss Still think we'll win the league? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I will always say we will win the league! My heart tells me that all the time.

Even when we won nothing when they done the 9, I said each season it’s our year! Them zombie * pigs will be doing the same now.

At the time they must have thought they where invincible, a bit like what most of us fans thought for a number of years and yet they have creeped back.

This was always going to happen with this Board in charge my gripe is we should have stamped them out before this but the lack of ambition shown by our board has been nothing short of criminal over the years.

Like it or not they have the feel good factor back, a manager (rookie or not) has pedigree regarding his own football playing days that can attract players who would never bat an eyelid if he wasn’t there. plus he brings them passion and desire.

All of the above is dangerous for us because we have become complacent, if it wasn’t for big FF that cup final would have been theirs and it plastered over the cracks.

We have been so * in the past January windows we can’t afford to get this one wrong! They have the perfect storm brewing we don’t knock the wind out of it this window and add real quality to see us over the line we will hand them a league title.

2. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Heart says yes, head and eyes say * knows.

3. green-yin

I think its about time we done some proper january buisness for a change. If we get the right signings the now we wont need to do as much buisness in the summer.

bhoy81 likes this.
  4. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

We always hear the same pish spouted, bed players in the champions league, we will look to strengthen in the coming window.

It’s always hard to do business this time of the year, agents fault, prices are too high, no value for money, we did try and look to re-evaluate in the summer.

none of this * this window, like you said get it right now and we can enjoy the summer. Can’t see it happening.

green-yin likes this.
  5. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

It's in the balance.

We've got to assume they will carry their form of the first half of the season into the second and not drop many more points against the dross so we need to make sure we do the same, and start racking up some big wins to get the GD up. It looks like we have a harder run up to the split making that task a bit more difficult.

We'll also probably need to take at least 4 points from the remaining 2 games against them. At this stage, going on the last 2 games, that looks unlikely, although not impossible.

The recruitment in this window now needs to be spot on. We need 3 additions of quality, ready to hit the ground running. A competent CB to take the place of Ajer who has now become a bomb scare. A penalty box poacher and another winger. I think we need a left winger more than a right. Jamesy will get his form back after the break, I'm confident of that, the other side is now a problem. Dont think we need a DM, it's not conceding that's the pressing problem, its creating and scoring.

6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah I think so.

I believe we have much greater strength in depth, and are in a much better position to cope with injuries to key players. We are also in a position to add players in the transfer window, whereas they apparently need to raise money to get to the end of the season? I can't see us losing any key players, but they might.

We're also more experience at dealing with competing on multiple fronts. After the break we have the Cup games to come,a s well as European ties. If I'm correct, after the split they'll potentially have 5 away games if the top 6 stays as it is? That means away matches vs Celtic, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hibs and Livingston in the run-in? Meanwhile, we'll have already played each of those teams away from home twice I think? If that's the case, the post-split fixtures are in our favour.

7. Jeremie Frimpong

We need to try to strengthen the teams around us.

I would even loan out Sinclair to another Scottish club if he were willing to move.

8. green-yin

We have a challenge this year so I dont think the board has a choice. We MUST strengthen in key areas, and we should be looking to get rid of some deadwood.

9. leeso-ardoyne

Some change in mindset in just one day. Yesterday before the game we where going to steam roll these * because in every position we are better. Fast forward 24 hours and now there's many doubting we'll get over the finish line champions, including me for a split second. However as the aul saying goes, the sweet is never as sweet without the sour. Them last 2 games against them will be the kick up the hole we need because if it didn't happen now, it could have happened at the end of the season when it really matters!

Come May well have won 9IAR but it isn't going to come easy. It'll be a scrap to the finish and we'll win it on the last few weeks or even on the last day which will make the celebrations even better! What I do know, it's going to be some second half of a season for both us which is what football is all about.

10. Keano88

Easier said than done.

Nobody wants to let players go halfway through a season unless they’re surplus to requirements.

I’d be happy with Benkovic and Wanyama loans and Sporar permanent, then reassess the CB and DM positions in the summer.

11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    It is in the balance atm. January is huge and we need to win our next game vs them and hope that they drop points also because i think we will also drop points along the way. We also need to go on a run again to put the pressure back on them.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  12. Jeremie Frimpong

A six-point swing in such a tight title race will do that.

13. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That was deliberate.

14. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Do we though? Eddy was unfit And we had to play morgan up front. Elyounoussi is injured and we shunt a cm out right and our right winger out left. If any of the CBs pick up an injury they would be replaced by another CM, so we could essentially have 2 guys playing CB who are actually CMs.

Also, you absolutely cant have 5 away games after the split. 3 at most no matter who is in the top 6.

15. Allan B

Ok, the title is now under serious threat and there is little doubt that we need reinforcements.. I said to my mates at half time ‘are this mob better than us now?’ The truth is they might be which is worrying me but let’s see how it goes in the jan window.. I fear for 9 but still couldn’t vote no. Hopefully the wee throat slasher gets another red and he should be near to a longer ban, he can’t score against us but notches for fun elsewhere. Still think we are poor in the full back areas, boli is ok and frimpong is good but looked out his depth to me yesterday. Our big players didn’t turn up but they have proved in the past they are up to it so won’t be too hard on them. HH

kramer1 likes this.
  16. Pearse67*

If we dont strengthen then we will lose the league, i have no doubt about that.

17. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    The worry for me is that yesterdays performance comes off the back of the cup final performance, i was expecting a reaction and totally different approach from the players.

A kick up the * and a good January window could see us back on track, but the players really need tae focus and Lenny himself needs to learn from his mistakes.

If we are to win the title, we'll have to fight for it, after a long period of success, i think it will come down to how badly the players really want it ?

18. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I don't think strenngthening our team will really change much. We are still beating everyone just so are the huns. This is actually one of our strongest first halfs of the season ever. 52 points from 20 games.

The League is in the balance more this season as Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and Hibs are probably the worst they've been in 2/3 years, even Hearts. Motherwell are back in 3rd and yet are really no better than they've been in years other teams have just degraded.

Abereen have lost Hayes, Christie, GMS, McLean, Jack and haven't really replaced them. Hibs lost Ambrose, McGeouch and McGinn, Kilmarnock have lost Stewart, Jones, Taylor and Mulumbu.

19. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I've said yes, I'm assuming though players in and out and something new in our tactics.

Put it this way I'll be happy if we have the final game against them to top the league, but do think 1 or possibly 2 slips leagues over.

20. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    The biggest factor in determining who wins the league is the remaining derby games in my opinion. I have serious concerns as we have not dominated the Huns in a game since the first derby of last season when Rodgers was still manager.