1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stilian Petrov

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by holy pope, Mar 30, 2012.

Discuss Stilian Petrov in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

tbh i am surprised he never went for another club i thought that was his big plan

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Graham Hunter Interview with Stan
    Stiliyan Petrov: National Service
    Part one of this interview with Stiliyan Petrov – which is one of my favourites in this entire series – covers a lot of ground, from picking up rifle shell cases from the snow, to the dangers of not being close enough to Henrik Larsson when he wins a header.
    Not all of you may know that Stiliyan took an enforced break in the early years of his career as a pro to serve the Bulgarian army for 18 months. He tells it here, and connects the lessons he learned during that time with the footballer and the man he would become.
    At Celtic, he had to adapt to a new country and a new language. How he improved his English is a story matched by very few of the guests we have had on the podcast.
    So grab yourself a burger, and enjoy the first part of a fascinating interview with a remarkable man.

https://www.acast.com/thebiginterviewwithgrahamhunter/stiliyanpetrov-nationalservice

Stiliyan Petrov: The Petrov Rules
    This second part of my interview with Stiliyan Petrov features a brilliant breakdown on the way Martin O’Neill has repeatedly made a team perform beyond the sum of its parts. At Aston Villa, Petrov felt both the warm sunlight and the shade cast by his old boss. He also talks brilliantly about his year-long campaign to win back the trust and affection of the Villa fans, and where that journey took him and the team he would eventually captain.
    Then we get on to Stiliyan’s battle with leukaemia. He regrets that having worked so hard to “be somebody” as he puts it, his children now see him represented more for his illness and recovery than for his achievements on the football pitch. However, he also knows his story can offer support to others, and that he is in a position to materially affect the fight against cancer in this country.
    I had never met Stiliyan before this interview and I found him an inspiration. His description of what he went through, and how it gave him a new perspective on life, is unforgettable.
    Stiliyan has a foundation through which he continues to take the fight to leukaemia. To learn more, and become involved in supporting Stiliyan through awareness and action, go to www.thestiliyanpetrovfoundation.com

https://www.acast.com/thebiginterviewwithgrahamhunter/stiliyanpetrov-thepetrovrules

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

STILIYAN Petrov has ditched his plans to play football again at the highest level and is now concentrating on his coaching and management career.

The 37-year-old Celtic and Aston Villa legend has fully recovered from leukaemia and had targeted playing again after putting himself through a gruelling fitness schedule. He played in pre-season games for Villa but Robert di Matteo didn’t offer him a contract.

That was a serious blow to the Bulgarian star at the time but he has moved on from it.

Pertrov told the Sunday Post: “I wanted to play football again but it’s just not to be. I have to accept things and move on. After everything I’ve been through in my life in the past five years, I always remember that there are more important things.

“But my appetite for being involved in football has not gone away. I’m still hungry.

“Now my focus is on getting into coaching and management. I’m doing all my badges and going about it all in the right manner.

“Since I was a small boy, my father and grandfather taught me to give everything in life and be dedicated. I was a dedicated footballer and I will be dedicated in the next stage of my career.

“We’ll see what the future holds. But I will not be rushing into anything. I will take my time.”

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/stan-callstime-on-anycomeback/

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hopefully ge gets into coaching or management.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. superleigh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony

he should phone big fury for a few tips

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    How the * did I manage to type that. Make too many typing errors on my phone. :56:

7. superleigh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony

Must be a word you use regular for your phone to spell check coaching to mean coacaine :56::56::56:

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Haha nah. Don't indulge in any illegal drugs.

9. superleigh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony

same :74:

Callum McGregor likes this.
  10. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    Listened to the 1st Petrov podcast with Graham Hunter. Great listen and great insight. Including the well known "Burger Van" scenario.

11. Belfast_Bhoy

Met Stan on Saturday night while in a bar in Belfast. Couldn't help myself go over for a wee chat and he was more than happy to indulge me. Telling me he's over for the week doing some coaching badges with the IF A. Got a wee photo with him and even had refused a pint from him as he was in the middle of buying a round for his group. Was buzzing about it all night, one of my favourites!

12. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Brilliant stuff :50:

Belfast_Bhoy likes this.
  13. celtic warrior

Top quality bloke, would love to bump into ex Celts

Belfast_Bhoy likes this.
  14. Belfast_Bhoy

He really is! Thatsvthe first it's happened to me mate and to honest I instantly went from a 30 year old to a 6 year old at Christmas meeting Santa on Christmas eve haha!!

Random Review likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

38 today

[​IMG]

Doogs., freederry20 and The IRA like this.
  16. Goggzy60

Happy bday to the legend that is stilian petrov

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Great photo.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player: