1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stigma about supporting the hoops

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TESLA, Jan 7, 2010.

Discuss Stigma about supporting the hoops in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. saltire78

Ditto! Life long Celt from Scotland, living in Limerick for about 11yrs! They're all Liverpool or Man U fans here, with other EPL teams taking an even mix from the rest... Could count on both hands the number of folks that said they were Celts through and through without another team!

Another thing I love asking is if they say they are celtic supporters, and liverpool/man u/chelsea etc. is... If Celts met their team in the CL, who would they support! Never yet met a single one who said the hoops... They all have different reasons why, but the answer's always the same!

And despite the fact that they hate the huns, they're actually quite happy to mock us for being *, or being from a * league!... Just my experience! Not what I expected, but there you go...

joemc likes this.
  2. TheZacDaddy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony!
    There should be no stigma about supporting the Hoops. Yes, the league we play in is substandard, however there is something special about our club and every single fan should be fully aware of this.
    Yes the history may be the most glorious part, however to support a team is to do so without question and without concern of the opinion of others.
    Perhaps if we were all neanderthal men & women, following the troglodytic faithful over at mordor we would worry. However with less than average intelligence, I'm pretty sure that the thought of how others perceive them doesn't enter their tiny minds. But enough hun bashing - the Greater Manchester police force will do enough of that tonight, lol.
    Seriously through, Celtic are one of the greatest football clubs in the world, with fans who are second to none. For me, to support Celtic is an honour and it should be for each and every Celtic fan the world over.

3. Pauli_Andy

Don't forget, Scotland isn't the only British country that Irish people have connections to. Plenty of them went to Liverpool and Manchester for work, so plenty of people will have some sort of connection to these cities.

Personally though, I think they should support a local team, regardless.

4. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Sorry to hear about your experiences, but I have always found that when I asked what team I support, outside of scotland and ireland, that the response is positive.
    People like Celtic as a club outside our traditional hinterland. In the london, the club is looked on a great club, hampered by a small league, there is always banter that the old firm would struggle in the EPL. Abroad, in various different countries, celtic is respected because the of the reputation of the fans. I absolutely love that.

5. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Places like harthill and larkhall make this country a laughing stock bringing up kids to hate others because of their religion or the team they support i mean it gives you an insight into their inbred lives that they believe your a catholic if you wear the hoops when a hos of our most famous players were neither scottish,irish nor catholic and it was THEIR club who openly practised bigotry and sectarianism leading in part to the problems rangers are having as in manchester they helped create the monster and now they are trying to calm it and i dont see it happening anytime soon

6. combene

could be worse. you could be in america where people think it's the new basketball jersey for boston:eek1:

7. Celtic_Jorge

At least people here seem to like the new Away Kit. I've had loads of good compliments.

8. combene

have you? i haven't seen anyone in it yet. i'm really on the fence about whether to get it because it looks odd on the computer but i guess it looks better in person. cheers for the info

9. Aidan O’Shea

Absolute joke of a thread from a joke of a person.

10. Idioteque I’ll laugh until my head comes off

I experienced the same in Dublin. Went hand in hand with their disdain for “Nordies”Any city I’ve been to anywhere else in the world I’ve always had a good reception.

11. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    You resurrected an 8 year old thread just to say that?

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ignore him he’s supports the BNP.

13. Mr. Slippyfist

You dead, *!

Or are you...:fear:

Marie likes this.
  14. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

There's so much wrong with this.

8 years on though and the gunt hasn't been on for months so can't be arsed going in-depth.

Southern Ireland though...* *.

15. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Never been "stigmatised" but have suffered the woeful "celtic and scottish football is *" patter from epl monkeys.

That being said being from belfast i do get indignation for not supporting the republic. Dont hate them ir anything just find it futile and contrary to my political beliefs. I find it cringy watching people in belfast rammed into pubs to with their free state tops on cheering on the west brits who take their money but not their welfare. I obviously like to see them do well but wont support them. Im an irish man. Not a northern irish man or a republic of irish man. An irish man.

pop47 likes this.
  16. Mr. Slippyfist

You're from Belfast?

Always had you pegged as somecunt from Kilmarnock or something...

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  17. leeso-ardoyne

THIS! * what others think

Ill agree. I moved to the west of Ireland 16 years ago and was surprisingly shocked what id seen. in the boom times when all the pubs where also booming, all the * wore was MAnU, Liverpool and * chelsea etc.. Couldnt believe it when i found a Celtic pub in town and there was only a handful of true Celtic men in the hoops. The only pub that watches the games when they are on. Havent set foot in it in few years though because id gone and got myself barred from the place. Now i have to go to the towns gay friendly pub to watch them any time im out. Great wee pub and they let ya play teh rebels anytime you want compared to some other pubs whee theyd turn the juke box off if the play list gets filled with them.

Agree

18. leeso-ardoyne

Its the lesser of the 2 evils they are supporting though. Most dont know the west brit mentality here, they just think because were down here then its a republican Ireland. Couldnt be further from the truth. They dislike anything republican, esp from up north.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  19. leeso-ardoyne

HAHA, just noticed that after reading it all. *!!

20. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

When Leeso’s out, he in the gay bar.

[​IMG]

Lion1961 and Random Review like this.