1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stigma about supporting the hoops

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TESLA, Jan 7, 2010.

Discuss Stigma about supporting the hoops in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    Have said that for years, the EPL is all hype and 90% of the games are error-strewn and dull, SKY's polish is just so good that many people fail to see beyond the smoke screen. Take out the top 4 or 5 teams and it is * poor.

La Liga is 10 times more entertaining than the EPL and better quality.

As for wearing the hoops, I usually only wear it during match days or if Im playing footie. Not because Im embarrassed by it, just not worth the hassle of assorted dirty stares and the odd bam making remarks.

2. gunt

[/QUOTE]

Its not balls. There are loads of people wear Celtic strips in northern Ireland who are not much into football. If you talk football to a lot of them they really dont know much about it because its not really about football for a lot of them. Its like a uniform in some areas and thats got a lot more to do with using the hoops as an identity statement than it has to do with supporting the club. The give away is if you start talking about Celtic the level of knowledge is sometimes tiny.

3. CAVANBHOY

their is alot who wear the hoops as some kind of statement, but their is a lot of people who also don't go around wearing the hoops every day but yet get up at 3 or 4 on a saturday to catch a bus to a match all over ireland every second week. so i would say that the celtic fans in ireland are more likely to have been at a match than the supporters of epl teams

4. georgiebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mc stay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    have to say lads, growing up in donegal most of my freinds were all celtic supporters first and then liverpool,utd after that

5. Bhoy Brian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Ive had it for wearing a shirt and being catholic here in one of scotlands deeply bitter towns and its a shame because ive always had a lot of friends who supported rangers but were never interested in all the bs and thats partly why i am so against all the bs songs

6. greenmachine67

i worked with a load of irish boys once and was looking forward to being part of a mini celtic supporters club. how wrong i was. not a bhoy among them - all man utd or liverpool fans (without ever having been to a game in their lives). only 1 out of about 20 supported a team from ireland. * pathetic. clearls didn't know their history....

7. redcelt

Its not balls. There are loads of people wear Celtic strips in northern Ireland who are not much into football. If you talk football to a lot of them they really dont know much about it because its not really about football for a lot of them. Its like a uniform in some areas and thats got a lot more to do with using the hoops as an identity statement than it has to do with supporting the club. The give away is if you start talking about Celtic the level of knowledge is sometimes tiny.[/QUOTE]

it is balls.i have lived my whole life in belfast and any one i know that wears the hoops does it because they support celtic.i have yet to meet anyone who wears the hoops to "get at the other side".how can you.the only place you could wear one is in a nationalist area,so how could you.take andytown,the nearest loyalist area is miles away.walk trough the city centre and you would be lucky to see 2 people with hoops on.as for interface areas,people know what you are by the side of the road you are on,so you would hardly need to wear a celtic shirt.
    go up to anyone with a epl shirt on and start talking football to them and i think you will find their level of knowledge is tiny.the fact is people over here dont know much about football.buying a shirt an sitting on a bar stool watching sky sports is how they support their team.few have even or ever will have been to see their team.
    celtic fans are hardcore over here.they go all over scotland and europe following the hoops.get on the boat the next time celtic are at home and there will be hundreds of celtic fans on it.no club in england would get that.
    supporting celtic is passed on through generations,just like anywhere else.kids at 5/6 years old dont just decide"celtic are a catholic team,i am going to support them,just to wind up the prods".only a bigot would have the mentality that someone is wearing the hoops to be sectarian.its a football shirt.
    by "some" and "hard" areas i take it you mean working class.you are more likly to see a football shirt in a working class area than a middle class type place anywhere in the world,not just here.
    you seem to suggest that only working class people are sectarian.far from it.but then again you seem to know ireland better than the irish:87::shamrock::celt_2::shamrock::celt_2::shamrock:

Niall1980 likes this.
  8. conorbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    i actually think anyone that wears a top other than celtic is just a glory hunting bassa, and scum,, haha.

9. Paddy1957

Fav Celtic Player:
    Roy Keane
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Absolutely right. Couldn't put it better.

10. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
  11. gunt

It is one of the most inaccurate myths ever. Even in some big Irish towns often only one pub shows the Celtic games and its usually 4 or 5 guys and of them 2 or 3 will be from Scotland. There is very little support for Celtic in any meaningful way in southern Ireland. It does my head in when the press and people in here assume every Irish person is a Celtic diehard. IN reality you are 100 times as likely to be a Celtic supporter in a meaningful diehard way if you are Scottish. I just have no respect for people who act like they care but all it consists of is looking at the scores coming in on Skysports or the radio. There are even people on here who keep going on about passion etc in relation to Celtic simply because they are Irish e.g Murphy. In reality they have no idea if he was a Celtic supporter in any meaningful sense or even at all. Celtic being your 2nd team you watch out for their score after you have spent all you time watching an EPL team makes you no sort of fan at all. I basicaly cannot accept people having 2 teams either. You know that bollicks about having an EPL team and Celtic. There is no way you could feel the same way about Celtic but have another team too.

12. jkel

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown,artur boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    holy goalie
    agree! i watch epl games on sunday and dont give a * who wins
    only if ive a bet on.but if celtic lose or draw it spoils my weekend.
    as for wearing the hoops i live in a hun town and anyone wearing the hoops around town i respect and know they are true fans.
    some parts of scotland and the 6 counties you are in danger just by
    wearin them so the fans that do are 200% celtic mad.
    no disrespect but some of you guys in the republic dont know you,re
    living bein never in danger and only havin the odd snob look at you:50:

13. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Too many glory-hunters in Ireland. How an Irishman can support an English team (especially after what England did to their country) is beyond me.

14. rk1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over & Over
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CRichard%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Hun myth.

15. gunt

16. CELTBOY

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik/boruc/mcgeady/brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    inter milan/four leaf clover
    pmsl...over top i think!

17. Redbaz

Celtic supporters only have one team, the rest can have their second teams????? but how Irishmen/women can support english teams is beyond me:rolleyes:

18. Chris1987

As Gunt has said its not a hun myth, I lived in the south of Ireland for 8 months and never met a single person who could give a * about Celtic. Ok there way a few but never met a single person who supported them as there first team, every one was Man utd or Liverpool.
    Even on an old Firm day most places would not be showing it due to an EPL game. Because thats what the punters wanted to watch.
    Remember having to travel 20 miles in to Limerick just to watch the game in the back room of some shady pub. And there was only about 8 of us watching it, 3 of which I had dragged along with me.

19. DanniGhirl

It can sometimes be impossible to get a pub that shows the Celtic games over here, thankfully the town of Duleek is a hotbed of Celtic fanatics so my problems are now solved, but before joining St Margarets CSC I had to go up to Frazers in Dublin to watch the games (which now doesn't show them).

Our supporters club has around 50 diehards that are season ticket holders, only 2 of us are originally from Scotland, so there are Irish diehard fans as well. I'd say there are a few diehards in every county of Ireland, I know people that travel up from Cork to travel over with us, however the assumption that almost the whole of Ireland supports us is a myth.

20. Chris1987

Actually just to add to that I can remember the only meaningful discussion I ever had about Celtic to anyone when I was living in the South of Ireland, was a 80 year old Dubliner sitting on the end of the bar who asked me why I was wearing a Celtic top