1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Stigma about supporting the hoops

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by TESLA, Jan 7, 2010.

Discuss Stigma about supporting the hoops in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. tez mctic

yes son your right. and i feel
    your pain "plastic english"

2. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    seems to be the ppo with irish ancestry these days that wud rather support celtic as their first team rather than proper irish

3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    in fact no such thing as first or second u only support one and anybody else ure just interested in their results

4. Blantyre Bhoy

No stigma in wearing the Hoops, in fact it's an honour to wear this unique green and white design. Of course there's another clubs like Sporting Lisbon and Yeovil Town which have similar strips, but look at the number of common clubs that wear basic blue or red, no imagination at all.

As for those who follow the EPL clubs, yes it's a great debate as to who actually sells the most jerseys globally. Man Utd, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and Inter are all major contenders, but Celtic must sell far more than the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City.

5. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

you saying Irish people should support their local teams ?

6. gunt

The main stigma (and its a huge one in Scotland) is that people assume you are an IRA head and some sort of apologist for terrorists. To be fair too I know decent Rangers fans who find the idea of being thought of as an loyalist off-putting. In our case, like it or not, the singing of IRA stuff makes us as non-respectable as Rangers in most respectable Scots eyes and makes people think we all are IRA sympathisers which in my case is far from true.

I think the stigma in Ireland is partly down to a tendancy for the Irish supporters to use the shirt as some sort of statement of being nationalistic or republican. Certainly its pretty clear that in the north of Ireland both the Celtic and Rangers strips are used as provovative statements of what you are politically and religiously. That tends to be confined to the rougher one religion areas/villages and is absent in the better off areas. So it does seem to be associated with hardline people in slightly hard areas and there is the suspicion that many are not all that into Celtic and doing it to look hard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2010
  7. celtic123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgeady, Brown, Mccourt
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song, let the people
    i wear my hoops with pride couldnt care less what people think.. love walkin past numpty upper class eejets with it on realy gets up their goat ha

8. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    nothing annoys me more than the man inted supporting irishman that are so anti celtic. south korea n japan it was 50 percent celtic jerseys, and im all for it. these united fans just dont like the rebel/hardcore element we can bring. some of them need to check their history books.

9. redcelt

balls

I think the stigma in Ireland is partly down to a tendancy for the Irish supporters to use the shirt as some sort of statement of being nationalistic or republican. Certainly its pretty clear that in the north of Ireland both the Celtic and Rangers strips are used as provovative statements of what you are politically and religiously. That tends to be confined to the rougher one religion areas/villages and is absent in the better off areas. So it does seem to be associated with hardline people in slightly hard areas and there is the suspicion that many are not all that into Celtic and doing it to look hard.[/QUOTE]

10. Bratfurdbhoy1

Wear the hoops with pride-politics should be a personal issue- I know what I think and I keep that to myself!
    Yes we have Irish roots and I have massive respect for that- but these days that does not go for much- when I went to Dublin a couple of years ago- I had to ask loads of people for a pub where I could watch the Hoops v Hibs. This was the middle of Dublin and the interest in the game was f*ck all!
    I eventually found a side street pub and packed in it there were about 50 fans all of us watchin the game! There were lads and lassies from Scotland ,Ireland and England in watching the game! And having a sing song too!
    Remember we are a Scottish club and should be proud of this too.
    I live in England now and a lot of people I know -who are English- do have a soft spot for the Hoops- (Sorry I don't need replies saying 'ah but its there 2nd team so it doesn't count!)
    Do we not as a club promote muti cultural and a multi racial following?
    Adios!

11. muaythai postie

Fav Celtic Player:
    lubo
    my relations in cavan support liverpool,man utd,everton and leeds.i coudnt believe that the 1st time i met them all.only 1 is a celtic fan and i mean a propper celtic fan the rest have no interest in celtic.my dad is from cavan and was celtic mad so i expected them to be be the same.my leeds supporting cousin now follows the tic because we took him to celtic park and bought him the hoops and also his best mate paddy murphy(thats his name)runs a supperters club and would probably have celtic pj's is a mad celtic man.i asked why they dont support an irish team and the answer is their aw *.they all like english teams but dislike the engish.

12. boruc's ball

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc, o'dea
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    in my family, my da is an arsenal supporter (with a soft spot for celtic) and my 2 brothers are utd supporters, most of my mates would be utd or liverpool!

the ones who tend to support the english teams tend to look down at ya, but all u need to do is remind them of certain results against their teams in recent years and the rich foreign men that their clubs have whored themselves out to and it shuts them up!

13. Hector

Fav Celtic Player:
    LARSSON
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Are you me???:97:

14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Ill have to admit there is certain stigma attached to the celtic support in dublin. Sure how many pubs have our supporters clubs been * out off. We do seem to attract some right idiots who just want to sing ra songs and act like a scumbag who wouldnt have a clue about the team or players etc.... Nowadays when asked who do you support i respond Celtic and proud, which is usually responded but who do you follow in England!!! In other words I know your republican minded but what football do you support! Id say out of 25 lads i have grown up with about 7 are true Celtic, but by far the Celtic lads go to Celtic matches far more than the English club supporters do. so yeah we have some idiots but have the most hardcore fans.

probs does not help everytime ya see a riot up north in a nationalist area and the riots in Dublin lads wearing the hoops :icon_mrgreen:

HAIL HAIL!! WE DONT CARE WHAT THE ANIMALS SAY

15. Hector

Fav Celtic Player:
    LARSSON
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I really hate the response i get when i say i support Celtic. It's always "Really but who do you support in EPL" Since when the * did it become mandatory to support a team in england?

16. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    YEH big time Glen does me head in, our even worse is ahh but Celtic is my second team. most of my mates who support english teams and supported Celtic as their second team dont anymore because of the slagging us celts give them!

17. Hector

Fav Celtic Player:
    LARSSON
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I just get grief from my mates. "Oh Celtic are *, they'd get hammered in the EPL blah blah blah" Try and explain that are most expensive signing in the last 4 years was Scott Brown they'd still throw that argument at me. Iv only got one mate who followed Celtic proper and he moved over to Glasgow:56: I think i should follow suit.

18. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    :56:yeah * them move to Glasgow. I get the same Celtic would be relagated blah blah aswel. but I know the truth, they would * themselves if we came south. Its not too bad cause most of them are either villa or man city or liverpool, no man u or chelsea so its easy to give stick back cause even with all their sugar daddy money from the arabs and yanks they are still * and win nothing!

19. Hector

Fav Celtic Player:
    LARSSON
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    They don't realise that if we got half the money that lower EPL teams have we'd be a force. I mean we got to the last 16 twice on peanuts. While Liverpool have failed with Torres and Gerrard in there team:icon_mrgreen: Love throwing that at my Liverpool supporting mates:bbpd:

20. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    :50: thats it mate i keep telling wait till all the arabs, yanks and russians get bored and pull out they will be foooked! also what really gets them is when I tell them "Celtic is more than a club its a way of life"! proper wrecks their hed that ha.