1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad changes for next season

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by shaunm, May 2, 2018.

Discuss Squad changes for next season in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    The Ajax model, im sure they signed loads of players like Alderwiereld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, Siem De Jong, that young striker they have whos from Denmark the now forgot his name when they were 16/17.

2. john2061

massive summer ahead and think dembele sinclair rogic and armstrong will be gone and think we should spend money on the defence two new centre backs and a right back and sign edouard and two new midfielders .

3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Dembele and Armstrong would be the only ones we would get money out of. Some will be out of contract like De Vries and I bet a few others. Players like Ciftci (who has not performed on any of his loans) will go on free transfers. Some others we may get 500,000 to 1.5 million. If we could get £3million for Sinclair I would probably sell.

I think Rogic will go to Southampton. They always seem to want to chuck us £10 million plus.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    freitassen likes this.
  4. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Would like to agree with your optimism RE Ralston but not for me. His physicality is his main attribute and he was much bigger and stronger than his peers through the academy system. Now that's gone at senior level I think he's struggled technically and for pace too. Booting the pantomime villain Neymar is all well and good and some fans lapped that up, but at the end of the day he's went past you with ease half a dozen times and bagged a few goals. The guys young and still has time to develop but can't see him being a first choice RB in a few months time.

freederry20 and rickyroma25 like this.
  5. Bobo_ Gold Member Gold Member

Like for like? I would be happy to let Gordon go though and bring Eduoard on board.

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Wouldn't sell Sinclair at all, and certainly not for £3million. Guys improved his reputation and his game since coming here. Proven that he is an effective attacking winger and is better than a defensive relegation battling epl squad. We spent more than £3million bringing him here, certainly wouldn't want to see him leave, let alone for £3million.

Rogic I think we can offer him a decent package to sign on long term here, unless he has aspirations to move on, then we should be actively trying to keep him. A fully fit squad and two strong Mids behind him and he is an excellent addition to the first team. Wouldn't want to entertain a movement from him either.

As for the value of the ones I have listed, I do agree a lot will go for nothing/peanuts. But to get 30million shouldn't be that far fetched if we do it right and shift the lot of them out the door.
    Gordon - 1.5
    De Vries - free
    Erik - 2.5
    Gamboa - .5
    compper - free (what a waste)
    Boyata - 2m
    Armstrong - 4m
    Hayes - free
    Eboue - 2.5
    Dembele - 15
    Allen - free
    Benyu - free
    Ciftci - free

total = 28million and I reckon that is helluva conservative with some of them. Even knock 8million off that total and at 20million we should be able to afford what i consder the two main investments. Then if others want to leave, we replace them on a player-to-player basis. Ie, 10million for Rogic = more than enough to replace him with left over. Our player sales a lone should cover our current ambitions for next season - forgetting the money in the bank and the expected next season 100mill turnover again.

7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Sinclair has not been good this season except in the European Qualifiers. I imagine it is downhill from here for him.
    I would say
    Gordon- £1-2 million (He's getting on a bit so am not sure he would be worth much)
    Sviatchenko- £500,000-1 million (We don't want him and other clubs know that)
    Gamboa- £500,000 (he still gets international games so could maybe get more)
    Boyata- £1-2 million (I don't actually think he will go, I think Simunovic will)
    Armstrong- £4-5 million (I think he will be silly to leave myself as he will either be stuck in a lower premier league team)
    Eboue- £1 million (a waste of £3 million in my view and has done nothing of note)
    Hayes- £500,000 (you could get something for him I am sure, he is a good player but again getting on)
    Dembele- £12-15 million (Not scored as many this season and having further injuries which could affect selling him).

That would £27 million if we were lucky but I don't think a lot of them will be on people's lists. Also selling 8 players is a lot and would not suggest it. I personally think they will sell Dembele, Rogic and possibly Armstrong. That combined would get us around £25-30 million but to be honest I hope either Rogic or Armstrong stays. If Dembele goes then £7m of that goes on Edouard instantly.

8. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    De Vries
    Gamboa
    Sviatchenko
    Armstrong
    Allan
    Christie
    Dembele
    Ciftci (pay off)

All of those will almost certainly go..

I think Simunovic and Bitton may possibly go..

That 10 is probably at least 30 mill... (mainly Dembele for 20+). 60+ grand a week in wages..

GK and would still have Bain and Gordon as backups..

New first team right back with pace..

A dominant experienced centre back. Leader. An experienced leader doesn't have to be well in to his 30's..

A left back to compete with KT. A loan would suffice..

If Armstrong goes. A box to box energetic number 8..

A winger who could play both flanks to compete with Forrest, Sinclair and Morgan..

2 strikers to compete with Griff. Edouard and maybe a big target man to play off, good in the air and link the play etc..

A lot will go and we've got quite a big rebuilding job for the first time under Brendan. The first window he get's to really make this side his own..

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  9. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Wont let Commper and Hayes go on frees not a chance less than a year after paying £1m each!

The £100m turnover is not guaranteed we need to make UCL to make that - Eboue might go on loan dont expect to sell him

10. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Summertime is usually when the most and biggest activity happens,in each of the last 2 seasons we have signed Sinclair and Ntcham as our marquee signings at 4.5m a piece, and they have both come up trumps in each of the last 2 seasons.

Dembele' is 20m minimum to any buyer although he should stay for at least another season and grow even more under rodgers , serious hunskelper and scores in europe too a huge player for CL.

Rogic new deal , hopefully sign Eduoard for 4-5m quoted, maybe sign Mcginn for 3m if Armstrong leaves.
    Sviatchenko,Jozo and possibly Gamboa will leave. so i would like us to maybe break our transfer record of 6m on a real quality young RB or CB as our marquee signing.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  11. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    we have hundreds of midfielders quality in Brown,Ntcham Rogic,Mcgregor,Armstrong, ..backup in kouassi and bitton if being greedy i would like another wide option but only if Roberts goes back, maybe Musonda will get a chance though in that dept. and we also have Morgan coming in.

12. Seosamh Máirtín

Same as last summer...

GK, RB, CM.

Secure Roberts long-term.

That's about it.

StPauli1916 and Aussie_Dan like this.
  13. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Definitely!

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I think we do try to..

It's difficult though as the best kid's are always scouted by loads and loads of club's and seem to go for trials all over the place getting offered the big buck's. Odegaard is a prime example of that..

I don't even know what he's doing now..

We're definitely an attractive club to join for young player's though. The proofs in the pudding. You're here or come here and do well, you'll definitely get a chance.....17/18/19, it doesn't matter..

European football and being on England's doorstep are obvious selling points as well..

I'd also like us to be bringing better kid's in from all over Europe to better our academies at the minute. Exactly like Ajer as you say. Came from first team football and captaining in the Norwegian top flight. Came here playing for the academy and in the next gen. Went on loan in Scotland. Now a first team player here. All within the space of about 3 year..

15. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Feel Dembele needs another season at Celtic but if he goes we should get Edououard on a permo.

Need a VVD calibre CB, a like-for-like replacement if Rogic goes, and a Wanyama type

16. vortex666

2 centre backs and a good confident commanding goalkeeper are a must .we still look all over the place every time a ball gets whipped in to our box .

17. Martin_CFC

Fair enough mate. I agree that he has looked rough around at the edges at times but getting thrown in at the deep end has been the making of a number of players in the past.

I don’t think any of us expected Tierney to be arguably the best left back in Britain after his first few games but he is living proof that a combination of regular game time and the right attitude can do wonders for a players development.

Hopefully Ralston can push on to be a reliable back-up option at least but I definitely think there’s a player in there and by the way Brendan has spoken about him, I think he’s a fan as well. All about opinions though.

Bobo_ likes this.
  18. celtic warrior

When does a massive staff overhaul ever actually happen?

In terms of player sales we'd be lucky to see more than 4 go and that is perfect as any more begins to be a threat to the team harmony.

There might be guys that go out on loan, but don't expect a huge exodus.

Dembele of all our players is most likely to be sold and if sold for the right price will fund our entire transfer window in summer.

Armstrong is next most likely to go but for a pittance due to contract status, Rogic ain't going anywhere near Southampton.

GK and RB are for me key areas after that I'd hope a ST is seen as the next key area (assuming Dembele is sold)

But all in all I don't see any more then 4 out and 3 in

19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No chance we get £2.5m for a player that's been sent out on loan.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mowbray saw a large overhaul. I'm not a fan of it as too many changes too soon usually means a team takes a long time to gel.

The IRA likes this.