1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Sol Campbell: "Attitudes to black footballers here are archaic"

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Dáibhí, Sep 28, 2013.

Discuss Sol Campbell: "Attitudes to black footballers here are archaic" in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dáibhí

I'm not so sure that club owners would be willing to pass up on the opportunity to hire a good manager simply because of his skin colour. Money has always talked louder than anything else down there in English football.

2. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Sounds like a load of bull. Remember John Barnes saying we sacked him because he was black ... right ye are.

There is a lack of black managers, last I remember was John Tiguana (?) at Fulham. Certainly not down to racism though.

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Bumping his gums about utter bullshit. He's clearly not good enough and suggesting it is down to a form of racism when it isn't is actually as bad as racism itself.

Clown.

4. Nasser

The top jobs are going to go to experienced managers and at the moment there are very few experienced Black mangers in the UK and there is even more competition now as a lot of foreigners are getting the jobs in England so that makes it even harder. A fair few players from his generation have made crappy managers like Tony Adams etc so Sol will really have to prove himself - and to do that he will have to lower is expectations by taking a lower league job or go abroad and I doubt his ego could deal with that. Plus he also wanted to be a Holywood actor lol.

5. TheHolyGoalie

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lot of hard-done-by nonsense

6. Dallas Cowbhoys

I remember him being good for them, they played some cracking football as well.

Chris Hughton at Norwich is one, Charlton have Chris Powell, Paul Ince has managed a few teams and is now at Blackpool, and I think there's another one in League 1 or 2 as well.

7. Armagh-Bhoy

Sol Campbell, the man that said he feared for his life in Poland/Ukraine when the Euros where there.
    What a *.

8. C2911

He's talking *. As usual.

9. HoopswithPride

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul "The Maestro" McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail, Hail
    I don`t get why Campbell is bumping his gums about gaining experience abroad. Cause it must be pure * to have the opportunity to go coach in Europe or US. Maybe then if he shows the potential, an opportunity might appear in England.

I cannot answer the question about racism and would be a shame if it was true.

10. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Sounds a bit to me like he thinks because he played at the top of the English game and should be given a job there with no managerial experience. Like every manager he should have to serve an apprenticeship lower down the leagues. Having said that did he not go to Notts Co and decide the lower leagues were not for him ?

11. Lanz

Notice how he doesn't mention any interviews he has attended or any positions he has applied for. Looks like he wants a position handed to him just because he is Sol Campbell :rolleyes:

12. Armagh-Bhoy

As a player.

13. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Yeah and he didn't like it one bit. Personally I don't think he would have anywhere near the mental strength that would be needed to manage a struggling team in the lower leagues.

14. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

What a total *.

15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I agree with him, due to a documentary I've watched before on racism in football mainly.

16. Mr. Slippyfist

Considering there is a whole onus on riding football of racism (English fitba included), it's hardly beyond the realms of possibility some black managers may not be given certain opportunities due to the colour of their skin.

That being said, I think he's full of *.

17. SpellCheck92

Hate it when a black person plays the race card when things don't work out for them. Classless behavior. If you are good enough you will succeed. Black people get the same opportunities as everyone else.

18. Mr. Slippyfist

Black people have also been historically given more chances because they are black - positive discrimination.

Just saying.........

19. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Historically they've been held back and oppressed because of their skin colour,until fairly recent reforms and things like 'positive discrimination',still
    I don't really agree with it myself,discrimination is discrimination,race shouldn't come into it,skills,experience and a willingness to work should be all that matter.

Liam Scales likes this.
  20. SpellCheck92

That is true. It is known as ''Affirmative Action'' in the United States.