1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Since Larsson

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by ArturBorucCSC, Dec 5, 2019.

Discuss Since Larsson in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Samaras is nowhere near a legend.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

There’s legends and then there’s cult hero’s.

3. Born green

I disagree. If you judge him on volume of goals alone, then of course not.
    But if you judge legends based on important games, which I do, then I'd argue there are few that come close to Sammy.

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Samaras was too inconsistent to be considered a legend, despite some performances in big games.

JML67 likes this.
  5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Samaras is in no way a legend. A bit of a cult hero I suppose.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  6. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Brown is the only one, unless you include Lenny as 'since Larsson'.

Some memorable players and cult heroes in there such as Sammy, Jamesy, Mika, Izzy, but legend should be reserved for those guys who are stand outs. We won't have another Striker like Larsson, or a captain like Broony. They're special.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I judge them on their overall performances, Sammy had some absolute iconic moments for us and that’s amazing but to put him next to the likes of Henrik, Jinky and McNeill? Never.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I’d be very surprised if we ever have another Jamesy as well, by the time he retires I reckon he’ll have the record medal haul.

Guys that have won 8 titles in a row, 3 Trebles in-a-row, one of them an invicinle treble. That’s unbelievably special in our history, right now, guys like that will be remembered just below the Lions.

9. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Samaras :56: don’t even get me started again.

Cult hero, nothing more.

Seán Mac D and Marie like this.
  10. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I get what you mean in achievement terms, but you could argue that for the early days of those successes he wasn't a pivotal figure. The last 4/5 years he's been in amazing form and since that Karagandy goal he's been more and more influential - I just don't think he's done enough individually to warrant legendary status, especially compared with Brown & Henrik.

Whoflungdung likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Think all throughout that time he’s had his moments, he was the guy that changed the game to get us our first ever Champions League away win for instance, which extremely important for that Last 16 run. And in the Treble Treble he’s been one of the most pivotal players along with the likes of Broony and Scott Sinclair, who’s longevity probably doesn’t earn him a place.

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Definitely had his moments, but if you take Brown out of the team I think we'd be significantly weaker, as we would've with Henrik at that time.

If Jamesy wasn't in the team for extended periods I think we'd be just as successful imo. That's not to say he hasn't contributed a * of a lot, but doesn't bring the same presence as the others so I couldn't put him on their level.

13. Sparda

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King of Kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    None IMO, which is why this is a "since Henke" thread because nobody needs clarification of what he meant to the club and it is approaching two decades since he left. That = legend, a player that if put in a poll with anyone else mentioned in this thread would dominate said poll to the point of it being unfair.

I've shed tears for larsson, ain't done that for a player since. Players like, brown, boruc, lenny etc... are heros but I'm not going to put them up there with the lions or Stein, I legitimately would put Larsson up there because of his his raw talent, loyalty and absolute class off the pitch. Broony gives me memories and gives his all for the club, larsson did that + set records and was winning European awards.

Also, *? Who mentioned Samaras. That guy was nothing but constant headaches. That one time he put two past the scum at ipox doesn't compensate for all the times he was AWOL.

14. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    There's obviously been no one on a Henrik level since him.

Brown will have to be the closest, but even he had to grow into his role, for years people didn't even want him to start.

Despite not necessarily being a legend, Nakamura certainly produced the most legendary moments over the past 15 years.

Can't understand people saying Lustig, he was an absolute hero who loved the club and played loads, but I don't think at any point he was a standout player in the side, and for a fair bit he was the weak link.

KT certainly could have been a legend, he certainly has a greater legacy than a VVD or Dembele, (who like KT all could have been legends if they'd stayed), but with KT it will depend what happens over the next few years, and also if he ever decides to come back. Can't see how he could be hated though.

15. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

20 trophies won as a celtic player
    Captain for 9 years and counting
    Captained to 8 titles in a row
    Captained to invincible treble
    Captained to treble treble
    Captained to 10 trophies in a row
    Most european appearances by any celt

Step forward mr scott brown, without being about just talent alone, arguably a bigger club legend than larsson.

Broony will be a hugely imposing figure in our history for generations to come and will stand alongside the likes of Maley, bobby evans billy McNeil and Tommy burns as a true figurehead of this magnificent club.

If I saw him walking up the street towards me I think I would actually drop to my knees and press my palms and nose to the ground.

Rydo1888*, Dannybhoy81 and Conlon like this.