1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we set up like Iceland Vs Argies to get better results in europe

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Account Deactivated, Jun 17, 2018.

Discuss Should we set up like Iceland Vs Argies to get better results in europe in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. M.E.T.H.O.D MAN Straight from the slums of Shaolin

I think he's useless against any decent opposition home or away, he is enough to get by with in Scotland but put under the pressure we all know to expect in Europe he crumbles and makes his mistakes.

If we had the Lennon era Forster in nets last season we still would have conceded a lot of goals in europe but not as many as Gordon did in my opinion, I also think the blame is on Rodgers for trying to get him to play the way he wants. Hes not good enough to do it and doesn't have the concentration.

jocksteinupper likes this.
  2. jocksteinupper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I'll agree to disagree there mate......you're right to an extent that he's far from perfect but i honestly believe Manuel Neuer would struggle behind some of our back line in Europe. He's a easy target and scapegoated for quite a lot imo!!

3. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I would like us to change the way we play, I don't tend to enjoy constantly keeping the ball and passing about that much. I love watching high pressure, more direct football. However, I dont believe Rodgers had signed a defender or keeper that had taken a starting spot, and that's where he needs to improve as a coach.

Gordon, Boyata, Tierney, Ajer, Listing, Simunovic were all here already.

His defensive signings have been gamboa who he doesn't like for some reason, compper who we have yet to see really, hendry who might make it, bain a solid backup and de vries.

This is clearly an area we need to sort out. Apart from Tierney and Ajer he needs to sign 2 quality defenders a RB and CB and a top GK for us to progress in Europe.

If he gets the right players I think how he wants us to play will actually be more effective, even in Europe. Though to get all these players were probably asking for another 20 million to be spent.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    I'd argue that the standard and style of football we played in the 2012/2013 season isn't close to the quality we've seen under Rodgers.
    Also I don't think theres any chance that if our current squad used Lennon's tactics from that game that they'd get the same result. I get what you're saying though.

5. Mr. Slippyfist

Agree with you about Man City, bit the * still managed to score equalize against us 3 times.

We've shown our fast-flowing fitba can wow, the Man City games and Bayern at CP automatically spring to mind, but unfortunately they came to virtually nothing.

Definitely needs to be a BIT more emphasis put on defending, although that's not to say we need to go back to the days of sitting back hoping for a bit of luck.

freitassen likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It’s a bit of a mute point with BR in charge.. as he has a certain philosophy of how the game should be played. It’s a philosophy that will dominate domestically and leave us exposed at times in Europe.

He needs add the quality needed at GK, CB & RB that are capable of playing he wants tho.. I expect that to be addressed in this window.

If he gets the right players in we get a favourable draw we could make last 16 CL or get a good run in the EL..

freitassen likes this.
  7. freitassen

Furthermore we should adapt our game to what we have and not play a system that was created for a team like Barcelona.

I think we could do with a better goalkeeper but Gordon is not a disgraceful one unless you think a goalkeeper should be judged by his passing and not by his saves

jocksteinupper likes this.
  8. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Iceland are a good team and a solid unit.they were are far from boring yesterday same when they humped England 3-1 at the last tournament.wouldnt mind signing one or two of there defenders,all look cheap or affordable and well within our reach.sviathchenko off and * knows whats happening with comper.

DF Birkir Már Sævarsson 11 November 1984 (age 33) 80 1 iValur
    3 DF Samúel Friðjónsson 22 February 1996 (age 22) 4 0 [​IMG] Vålerenga
    5 DF Sverrir Ingi Ingason 5 August 1993 (age 24) 20 3 [​IMG] Rostov
    6 DF Ragnar Sigurðsson 19 June 1986 (age 31) 78 3 [​IMG] Rostov
    14 DF Kári Árnason 13 October 1982 (age 35) 68 5 [​IMG] Víkingur
    15 DF Hólmar Örn Eyjólfsson 6 August 1990 (age 27) 10 1 [​IMG] Levski Sofia
    18 DF Hörður Björgvin Magnússon 11 February 1993 (age 25) 17 2 [​IMG] Bristol City
    23 DF Ari Freyr Skúlason 14 May 1987 (age 31) 57 0 [​IMG] Lokeren

freitassen likes this.
  9. freitassen

Mate, Iceland has stopped Messi with a guy that wasnt good enough for Aberdeen in the back.

Our CBs could be better but are not an excuse to just accept 7-0 in the CL as acceptable.

Plus that's the point, sign better CBs.

10. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

I completely agree and nothing would please me more than seeing us defend well as a unit away from home in Europe. You look at teams like Juventus and Atletico Madrid going away from home and setting up the way they do. Nothing would make me happier than seeing us set up like that in Europe with a viable counter attacking threat.

However, the problem is that even with teams like Iceland, they are all used to playing in teams domestically who set up to be compact week in week out.

We always have the ball domestically and very rarely need to sit in against anyone. Plus Rodgers wants to implement a style where we can stamp our own authority on games no matter the opposition.

This may seem naive at the moment but I think we will reap the benefits in years to come. Even the way the youth team play now it’s all proper passing on the deck, playing out from the back, pushing the full backs up high and wide etc.

This style will leave us vulnerable especially against teams like PSG who are capable of ruining our defence in seconds. However we would need pre season friendlies against high quality opposition such as Napoli, Dortmund etc to try and practice a counter attacking style and defensive shape, as simply no team domestically will provide us that opportunity.

ChrisMoh likes this.
  11. NorwichCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Rogic All time - Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    at home I think we can toe to toe versus anyone, need a few more signings and more experience but we will get there and have proven we can do it (Man City at home and Bayern at home) , away from home don't care how deep we play as long as we don't get hammered.

The feeling of going toe to toe with Europes best and getting a result will be incredible under Rodgers, more experience and we will eventually get there

ChrisMoh likes this.
  12. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Don’t like the man at all,but you got to admire Mourinho for his pragmatism. Sometimes we should cut our cloth and live to fight another day, rather than some of the humpings we have had.

13. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

* no

anti football * that

14. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Like I said sometimes ......

15. mickcfc91

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - Scott Brown .. All Time - Lubo n henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Wiley Maley
    I would much rather be like Mexico

16. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i can understand why some would like to do this but we are so far behind in scotland in regards footballing intelligence from the top all the way to the bottom!

this would ultimately be an end to football in scotland, we celtic would just be another scottish "supposed" football side playing anti football to win, as if winning was all that counts, it's not there is so much more to football that gets ignored

good football play skills knowledge and performances inspire our young inspire our local communities help our national football team, which leads to success and inspires more people to take up football

bad football play negative and dire performances dont inspire they make the little fans scotland have in scotland start supporting english and other foreign teams and aspiring to play for them and a lot of other potential fans say * this im going to play xbox or another sport

first theres the teaching kids about health and sport, then teaching them tactics, tricks, and footballing intelligence, instilling in them that performance is most important, individual and then as a team, once we teach them all these things hopefully they have matured to a professional standard and then they win as a result of what they have been taught about individual and team skill

17. joemc

We have proved it ourselves with wot you could describe as bang average defenders ,strachans team of mcmanus n caldwell ,could produce * ups just as good as boyata or ambrose ,but in a defence minded team could do a good job wen called upon .
    Been banging on about this for some time, it only needs us to sacrifice a few attacking players for a few who are comfortable sitting in and who can support wen countering ,its not rocket sience ,and it doesnt need 10s of millions to do it ,theres teams with less money than us who have continualy went further in cl that its became normal , i feel our manager can be adaptable and build a flexible team who can play away in cl .

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Arguably we overachieved in Europe last season..

Under Ronny we couldn’t get in the CL, under BR we finish 3rd.. so in his two seasons we have improved each time, fact..

Doesn’t excuse the sore ones we’ve suffered tho.. but CL is a Qualification is an achievement for us, some would do well to remember that.

Forestbhoy66 likes this.
  19. joemc

Yeh your totally right to say that ,we have improved and we will continue to if we can keep a settled team and add a few ,i dont think anyone is having a go as such ,they are debating sacraficing attacking in cl to teams who are better at it especially away .

Forestbhoy66 and JC Anton like this.
  20. aliceinsound

As I remember didn't we more or less play for a 1-0 defeat at home to Anderlecht? I can't see why it's fine to be pragmatic in that game and not against psg

All things considered pretty happy with Europe last couple seasons though