1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shaun Maloney

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by technom8t, Aug 27, 2018.

Discuss Shaun Maloney in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Could be good for him.

Now that he’s T3

2. technom8t

Fav Celtic Player:
    NAKA
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Celtic to announce SMc in comming days...not as a CB haha

3. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC Football Club today announced that Shaun Maloney will be leaving his position as Reserve Team coach to focus full-time on his role with the Belgium national team.

Shaun was recently appointed second assistant to the Belgium squad, working with the management team of Roberto Martinez and Thierry Henry, and with increased duties in this role, he will now make this his full-time role.

Shaun Maloney said: “I would like to thank Brendan and Peter for giving me this great opportunity at Celtic, and it is one I have enjoyed immensely. The past year has been a great opportunity for me to work with the young players at the club, and it has been a role I have given everything to.

“The players and staff have been a pleasure to work with and I would like to thank them all for the time we have had together. All the players in the squad work tirelessly each day and I am sure many of these young players will see this pay off in the next few years as they start to make an impression at first team level.

“I have had a brilliant time at Celtic in this coaching role. The club is such a great institution with great people and the best supporters of all. Celtic will always be my club and I wish everyone connected to the club every success for the future.”

Celtic Manager Brendan Rodgers said: “I was delighted when Shaun secured this fantastic international opportunity but fully understand the full-time demands of this role. We fully appreciate and respect his decision to move on.

“He has done a fantastic job already at Celtic working alongside Tommy McIntyre and made a real contribution to the Club. I am sure he will go on and do the very same with the Belgian national team, working with great people in Roberto Martinez and Thierry Henry. Everyone at Celtic wishes Shaun the very best for the future."

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “We are disappointed to lose Shaun but fully understand and respect his decision. We understand the commitments required at first-team international level and we wish him well in his future with the Belgian FA at such a successful and exciting time for the country.

“Shaun has given the club great service in his role with our Reserve squad and, of course, over so many years as a player, and we wish him nothing but success."

5. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Nice work experience for wee Shaun before he starts the big school next year.

6. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He always came across as a very focused and determined character. Apparently he was always one of the hardest trainers when he was a player, I thought he was a great wee player but unfortunately his career was interrupted too much with injuries. Must be very highly regarded as a coach to have got the position with one of the best national teams in the world.

Scored some crackers for Celtic, the 30 yarder v deadco rangers springs to mind, always liked this one....

7. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

...and the snake chose to sign for Aston Villa on a pre-contract after Celtic stood by him (and gave him a contract extension) through a period of horrible injuries.

As much as he scored some cracking goals for us, I wouldn't have had him back at the club either as a player or coach.

The IRA likes this.
  8. Murph-E

We not sell him to Villa for £1mil?

9. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Unless you have some kind of inside information on that situation which I doubt very much you're likely talking a load of misinformed horse *, where did you read that? In the Daily Record?

10. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Why would you need inside information when the information is public knowledge?

He suffered cruciate ligament damage playing against Partick Thistle u21s in Feb 2004: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/3515003.stm

We offered him a 3 year contract extension in May of that year: https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=183269.html

He then signed a pre-contract with Aston Villa in Jan 2007 which forced us to sell him for £1 million on deadline day: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/6316441.stm

The IRA likes this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

See previous post, sold for £1 million on deadline day, after he had signed a pre-contract.

12. Murph-E

I have no memory of any of that, weird. I remember hearing he was "homesick" at Birmingham and that's why he moved back, but it seemed like he was barely gone.

Was fed up with McDonald and JVOH when he re-arrived, thought him and Samaras were going to be unreal together and rip teams up. Both injured after about 2 games.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  13. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Talented player but once he made that decision to drop us at the first drop of a hat we shouldn't have given him the chance to come back...and even less so be a part of our academy staff.

14. Mr. Slippyfist

Wee * anyway.

15. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Moved to Ex Players /Staff

16. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    and from this you have decided he is a "snake"...oh dear.

17. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I have, aye.

You don't think that's remarkable disloyalty and acting like a snake?

The IRA likes this.
  18. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I remember this too and felt so disappointed in him. I never took to him again after that. I was raging at Petrov too when he did the same.

19. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

Petrov did the same???????
    Ffs, When???

:97:

Peej likes this.
  20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You can count, right?

May 2004 + 3 year contract extension = May 2007. Let alone the UEFA article clearly starts with "Maloney signs New Celtic Deal".

At what part is the injury in 2004, signing a contract extension, seeing that out, then signing a precontract with Villa, then we cash in for a million making him a snake?

Anyway, great wee player. Good luck and all the best Shaun. Does get me wondering - a future manager?
    Can't help but feel he will gain a lot of respect and skills from being in the Belgium setup, could be a few years off, but imagine him taking over for the 11th title, and bringing in some Belgium talent...better than Boyata.