1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Shame on the Green Brigade...

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Domo1888, Oct 29, 2009.

Discuss Shame on the Green Brigade... in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunt

Problem is that repect for traditions sometimes clashes. Respect for Irish republican tradition is OK but you also have to respect that visitors to Scotland for games are guests of the country and it is the custom of Scotland to mark the remembrance without any politics. Its just an unfortunate case where two sensativities clash.

In such a case the traditions of the country where the event is have to take precidence There really are only a very very small percentage of people in Scotland who even think about the poppy deeply. Its something you just do for your grandparents and great grandparents. That is regardless of Irish roots. Those who are bothered are a politicised minority of a minority and really cannot be more than a few percent of the population. In clashes of sensitivities the tradition of the vast majority of the country have to be honoured over the small political minority. That is only fair. Remember too that this is an away game in central Scotland that probably will be on TV so its not all about Celtic anyway.

2. DanniGhirl

I think Remembrance should be with a two minute silence as that is the tradition, however, the wearing of a poppy by the teams is not a tradition, some people are against the wearing of a poppy, however, the vast majority have no issue with a show of Remembrance for those people that gave everything so that we can live in a democratic society.

You may not agree with peoples stance on the wearing of the poppy, but those who died in the 2 WW's did so to give people the right and freedom to take that stance.

Personally, I chose not to wear a poppy, however, that doesn't mean I don't recognise and remember the great sacrifices made on my behalf. I don't agree with the GB protesting about the wearing of the poppy, but I also think that Celtic should give the players the option of wearing one or not as it should be down to personal choice.

3. Bhoy92

Let the people sing!!! Whats wrong with protesting against the murderers of the british army? In northen Ireland the unionists have associated the popy with the terrorist paratroopers who killed many in Irish history! An Example being the 14 man in derry or Aidan Mc Anespie, The hunger strikers .... So as a club with Irish roots why should we be conscripted into placing them on our great shirts?

4. Markybhoy

A couple of my mates went on a bus with the Green Brigade to the friendly against St. Pauli. They said they had a brilliant time and that the boys were all sound with them.

5. TAB

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony.
    A few us meet up with them on match days occasionally, they are always a good crack. Sound as a pound.

6. Zheng Zhi Guest

Because most of us wants to pay our respects to the men and women that fought and died for our freedom. When we fought * Germany, it didn't matter if you were British, Scottish or Irish, because we all fought for the same thing.

The Poppy does not solely represent the British soldiers who died in Northern Ireland.

7. me.CelticBhoy88

> Closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.