1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Draft] Semi-final - Minty v Mr Monaghan

Discussion in 'Competition Corner' started by Callum McGregor, Jun 18, 2017.

Discuss Semi-final - Minty v Mr Monaghan in the Competition Corner area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    My beard doesn't have grey hears for nothing you know... :giggle1:

Based on what I've learned about him over time, and available footage, he isn't a natural wide player.

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:50:

It's the certainty in your argument, you could be discussing Scott Sinclairs best position. :56:

Fair play tho, it's all good fun..

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    WATP's Choice.

No surrender.

4. Keano88

MY THOUGHTS.

I feel Monaghan has the better defence, his pairing of Nesta and Desailly is a cut above Stam and Costacurta, imo. Carlos Alberto I also rate higher than Cafu. Minty has the better LB and GK. (Cole and Yashin)

I reckon Monaghan wins the Midfield too. Matthaus would get the better of Xavi and I get the feeling Totti would get more joy out of Busquets than Rivaldo would up against Makelele.

Attack definitely goes to Minty. Messi, Pele and Ronaldinho is just wow. I don't think you can get many better attacks than that... Cristiano and Eusebio would be lethal as well but not quite as lethal as those 3.

It's a very, very close one.. I feel Monaghan has the more solid team and wins the defence and midfield departments and also has 2 elite attacking players up top. Minty's attack is almost as good as it gets though. I think Minty's midfield may get out worked from Matthaus and Makelele and I also think Monaghans defence, especially the central defenders, are a cut above Minty's. But that Attacking 3 though!

So, after a lot of thought I have decided, that I need more time to think.

5. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I prefer Monaghans defence, Minty's attack and they are very close in midfield.

I am going with Minty as I do think Messi, Pele and Ronaldinho would be incredible, supported by Rivaldo as well. The quality of the final four teams in this competition is really, really strong.

6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    For * sake @Keano88 I was content with my choice until I read your post.

7. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    The doubt I have about Minty's midfield is that it doesn't have Iniesta which completed that trio at Barca and made them what they were.

Also, this may be slightly harsh considering how they dominated for years, but there was quite a few games where that Spain/Barca midfield were totally over run in games, but that was mainly towards the end of Xavi's career. The 2014 World Cup springs to mind. I also think Busquets is better as the sole holding midfielder with two more slightly advanced players in front of him.

*, now I really am having second thoughts.

8. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Your initial choice is the right choice. My team is better.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's a bit silly to say Iniesta isn't there in an all time draft though. Rivaldo is a great player and a Ballon d'or winner to boot. Impossible to get a full team who all actually played together.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Totally disagree that he has the more solid team and Matthaus isn't as good as Xavi full stop.

Stam and Costa are still a great cb pairing and as I said earlier, their careers back them up. There isn't a big gap between the 2 CB pairings and my attack would score against any defence anyway. His attack is unbalanced.

Personally, I think Cafu eclipsed Carlos Alberto and overall was the better player.

11. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Am thinking about it in terms of how it would work in a game though, and I think Xavi and Busquets owed a lot of their good performances to having Iniesta with them, as it was the perfect combination. Thats not to say they wouldnt have been as good with Rivaldo, I'm not sure on that one which is giving me second thoughts. Mathaus, Makalele and Totti could cause that three a lot of bother.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think Xavi and Busquets are both at a level where they would fit into nearly any side in history and still be as effective. Obviously it's easier to perform better with other great players around you but both of Xavi and Busquets have been as vital to Barca as Iniesta has in recent years.

13. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    No, I'll stick with Minty.

I think that front four is going to tear any back four to shreds, even Monaghans. If I was going to pay to watch either team, it would be Minty's.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  14. Keano88

I guess that's why he gets taken so early in drafts whilst Xavi goes 2nd, 3rd round?

Same with Nesta and Desailly, both go well before Costacurta and Stam, for a reason.

I'm still not sure on who to vote at this point. I have Lewy winning 2/3 categories, but your attack is just very, very hard to go against.

15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    That isn't reasonable justification of how good a player is or isn't.

The ability of Xavi, Costacurta and Jaap Stam aren't in question. They're top level players and Xavi is one of the best of all time. Their careers and the way they performed back that up.

As I said at the beginning, I can't see a way in which I don't win this.

16. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You'd be surprised but that isn't necessarily a guarantee you'll win. I thought the same against you and was humped 9-3.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    9-3 was generous.

Only joking. :giggle1:

I know there isn't ever a guarantee of victory but I genuinely believe my team is better and more balanced.

18. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I think his team would be harder to break down/catch on the break than yours would.

But I dont see how a team gets the ball off your team to do that in the first place.

19. Keano88

After a long think about it, I went for Minty, even though I had Monaghan up in 2 categories.

Minty's defence IS weaker, but is still solid enough.

Monaghan's attack is weaker and we all know Ronaldo can be a hoggy * at times, whereas Minty's attackers are all about scoring AND assisting.

Monaghans midfield is stronger, for me, but Busquets and Xavi isn't too shabby and they do have that chemistry having played together for years for club and country. And with Rivaldo in-place of Iniesta it isn't too much of a downgrade from the great Barca trio.

20. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Minty for me. Keep saying same thing in most games, both teams are class, Minty's attack needs no introduction or playing up, its different gravy, midfield I think is more a less even, Matheus for me is better than Xavi, but I think Busquets is criminally underrated and a lot of the time that's because hes a * * on the pitch but he is still very good. Defence wise again I think its pretty even being honest, so based on Minty's class attack ill give him my vote.