1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Patrick Roberts!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by AJ Styles, Jan 24, 2016.

Discuss Patrick Roberts! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I noticed his body language on the bench against the diets, he looked absolutely raging the whole time and I think getting just a few minutes made it worse.

I know Brendan has to put the team first but what I don't understand is why it took so long to put him on that game, he could easily have got 30 minutes.

What I like about him apart from his desire to take players on and create nervousness in defences that are parking the bus is he's excellent at link up play, quick one-twos and the like. He really flourishes with other like minded players like McGregor, Rogic and someone already mentioned him and Sincy having a good relationship.

That's why I think he'll have a chance in the EPL if he's put in a team with an attacking ethos and players who are brave on the ball and like a bit of adventure. It's not only entertaining for the fans but it lets teams punch above their weight having players like that. Ok he might lose the ball a few times but he'll get back up and try and beat defenders again and opposition hate that, they prefer a solid back that means forwards end up passing the ball back to midfield making it hard to break teams down as they've always got time to keep their shape.

That has been a disappointment in a few games for us this season, the lack of verve and countering teams who are out of shape. Sincy's form has affected that but we've got enough talent to do it without him.

We need players like Paddy and Tam who can make something out of nothing and attract so many players it leaves space for the rest of our team to exploit.

Forrest has been great but Paddy will end up a much better player because he has a lot more belief in himself. It took Brendan to really get Jamesy back to his best.

Anyway, the injury was a disaster and we can't complain about loan players wanting to play in their home country. It's definitely helped him get noticed being up here though even though he didn't play much this season, he has played some top class football that will encourage teams to take a gamble on him and pay the £12m and big wages.

Just hope he gets game time if he's fit because inventive players need as much practise as they can get.

If we lose Tam I'll start panicking. I'll lost a lot of respect for him if he runs down his contract and doesn't give us the option to sell him in the summer to make a little bit back on him considering we've provided him with the platform and belief. Not saying we're altruistic but there should be a little bit of quid pro quo so we can replace him.

He's going to be hard to replace, just hope Brendan has someone figured out.

Get McGinn in please.

Will be good to see Christie back.

2. _DannyBhoy_ Gold Member Gold Member

I personally think after the injury hit season he has had he would be better of staying here another season and show his best form again, then move to the Premier league. I think he would get himself a better move then.

Feels so underwhelming and such a let down this season with all the hype around him coming back, getting the number 7 shirt and been out injured most of the season.

Would have been nice to have seen him at his best and leaving here on a high rather than just leaving having not had the oppurtunity to contribute and show the form we have seen from previous seasons.

:55:

With Paddy sounding unlikely to stay any longer I think it emphasises even more how important it is to get Rogic tied down longer term. Losing both Roberts and Rogic would be a massive loss and would be very hard to replace.

3. McManus4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Curse of the 7...

4. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Juninho - *, Zurawski - good for 1 season, McDonald - decent but got worse and left after 18 month, Robbie Keane - great but only for 3 and a half month, Ljungberg - done nothing, Miku - *, Ciftci - *, Roberts - done nothing.

We've really only had 3 good years out of number 7's since Larsson left. Zurawski's first season, McDonald from 2008- January 2010 and Robbie Keane from January-May 2010. :eek:

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  5. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    Miku wasn’t “*” lol

6. freederry20

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, Wanyama, Hartson, Balde, Petrov, Lennon, Commons, Boruc, Brown, Van Dyk.
    Linked again this morning with Leicester city as part of the Mahrez deal.

7. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

He scored 2 goals.. :56:

Had one good game of note.

Said years back I could see him replacing Mahrez, quite like for like.

8. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Roberts done nothing? He was brilliant in the first season, probably the Celtic fans favourite player. In no way could you describe Roberts as having done nothing in the time he has been at Celtic.

9. Da-HunSkelper

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny Fergus McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Foggy Dew
  10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Rumour is him going to Leicester as part of a money plus player for Mahrez. Makes sense

11. celtic warrior

Roberts can not be accused of done nothing.
    But where ILTC is coming from is that players who've had the 7 over the last ten years have been largely ineffective.

Which I can see now it's been pointed out, such a random little hoodoo that.

12. celtic warrior

If Leicester could even get remotely close to that league winning level Roberts would be an outstanding player for them.

In their current state though, they facing relegation next season

13. honda Gold Member Gold Member

He'll be less missed this time since hes basically not played. I expect money to be spent though, too much qaulity is leaving this season. Most important transfer window in ages. It could set us up for the 10.

So we should get atleast 1 loan, a free and a £1.5m punt.

14. Sentinel

This exactly. My fear is that we always refuse to be ruthless and make sure we stay top. Biscuit tin is still well and truly in place and even though I commend and understand the business sense behind it, this is a one-off chance to get 10. Get the wallet out and strengthen the right positions. Get proven quality and if they are prospects, make sure they are the best prospects.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  15. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I disagree.

The most important one was in January, where we should have been bringing in players and having them gel for the qualifiers in the summer.

16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Wore 27 under Ronny and last season.

17. honda Gold Member Gold Member

A * summer could jeopardise the 10. A * january only effects the qaulifiers. I want the 10 more.

18. Captain Brown Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I also disagree that this summer will jeopardise 10. Have you seen rangers/Aberdeen? Absolute pish. No way are they winning next season. Even with £20 million.

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  20. Al Bootyerbaws

Sad to see him go he's a great wee player just been unlucky this season.