1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Robertson

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Dec 12, 2019.

Discuss Scott Robertson in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SCOTT ROBERTSON’s dad has opened up on the Celtic starlet’s decision to choose the Hoops over Rangers.

In an interview with The Athletic, Stuart Robertson also revealed his boy nearly quit football to pursue a career in GOLF.

Scott, 18, had his first action in the Hoops in the 2-0 defeat to Cluj in the Europa League, with gaffer Neil Lennon praising his performance.

Now Stuart – in Romania for last night’s clash – has lifted the lid on how the youngster had to choose between the Old Firm rivals as an eight year old.

Reflecting on an overseas U-9 tournament with Celts, he said: “At that point he had a decision to make and he decided to stay at Celtic.

“So aye, if he went away with Rangers at that time he would have said, ‘I’ll stay with these boys’, as you build an affinity with them with that time away, but he’s been at Celtic ever since.”

Four years later the midfielder’s interest in football was diminishing.

Stuart added: “Scott’s always been into sport

Golf, tennis, football, we actually thought at one point he might be a better golfer than footballer.

“He was probably about 12 and getting fed up with the football, and wanted to concentrate on golf; he was doing really well, going around with tours when he was 11.

“His heart just wasn’t in football.

“We managed to not cut (football) off completely, and he didn’t drop out.

We eventually got him back in and encouraged him to look at it in a new light, to try new training drills which we practised outside it, and he started loving it again, getting on well with all the boys.”

Stuart – a goalkeeper in the * and junior ranks – also told how he once sent off his boy during a game.

He said: “When he was young, about seven and still with Lenzie, I was reffing a game he was playing in.

“He and another wee boy went in for the ball and they were both bad tackles, they then each of them took a punch at each other.

“So I red-carded the first boy, and then red-carded Scott, and I felt gutted by it, there was a big lump in my chest doing it.

That was a strange, emotional moment, sending off your son, but I think it was for the best in the long run in helping him realise he can’t do that on a football pitch.”

Over a decade on, Scott is in the thoughts of Celts-boss Lennon, with fans also hoping to see more of the teenager.

He looked neat and tidy playing last night alongside skipper-for-the-night Olivier Ntcham in the makeshift Celts side.

Stuart said: “I was really happy with his performance. And Lennon was even more so.”

2. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I was really Impressed with him last night, however to say he solves our short term need for a DM is way off the mark.

I have high hopes for him but we still need some experience in there in the January transfer window.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  3. Metrobhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo, Naka and Koki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Technically good and has no fear of the game. Delighted with what I saw! Exciting prospect!

Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  4. DonnyCelt

Very bright future ahead of him

Whoflungdung, Rydo1888* and Tommy25 like this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Showcased all the basics; composure, technique, passing, movement.

Agree with the Calmac comparisons, looks to at least have that base of being a good technician with the ball.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Should be on the bench tomorrow..

If we're winning well then get him on again around first team player's on our big pitch..

7. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    I'm not so sure. We have brown and McGregor nailed on starters and then ntcham too. If we bring a wanyama in who do you drop?.

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

8. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Actually think we are well covered in midfield.
    So our 3 first choice would be Brown CmCG and Christie.
    Bitton for Brown, Nicham for CmCG and Tam for Christie.
    Just so hard to see opportunities for any of the promising kids we have, unless we build up a healthy points gap.
    Saying that, I would prefer to see this kid given the chance ahead of the likes of Eboue, Benyu etc.

9. Seosamh Máirtín

Brown is playing one of his last seasons as a first team'er, Ntcham is hit and miss, Bitton has been used more in defence and has lots of limitations, and Tam has major injury concerns. McGregor needs rested far more and Christie can't play every game, either. Robertson could wind up playing a lot of football for us.

Dan Breen likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

FOLLOWING his professional debut against CFR Cluj in the UEFA Europa League last month, and a couple of namechecks on Neil Lennon's matchday bench in Scotland, fledgling Hoops star Scott Robertson has been delighted with his involvement in the Celtic first team this campaign so far.

Now, the 18-year-old midfielder is hard at work at the club’s mid-season training camp in Dubai, and admits his first taste of senior-level football has left him longing for more. In order to achieve this, Robertson well-understands that this starts on the training pitch, and believes he’s learning from the best in the business.

“The first day of the mid-season training camp was really hard, we started off with the beep test and it didn’t get any easier after that,” said Robertson in an exclusive interview with Celtic TV. “That’s what these breaks are all about, though.

“We’ve had our break at Christmas and now it’s about getting the fitness levels back up, getting your touch, the ball at your feet, getting the legs back, and all of that will hopefully stand us in good stead for the rest of the season.

“It was amazing to get some game time in Europe this year, against Cluj. Getting to the last 32 of the UEFA Europa League is such a special achievement in itself, if I was to be a part of that in any way, that’d be absolutely brilliant. But, either way, there can only ever be a chance of that happening if I keep working hard on the training pitch. And that’s exactly what I want to do.

“Here at the camp, the overriding message from management has been to work hard, do your work and reap the benefits. We know we’re not here for a holiday. We know exactly what we need to do.”

Like many of the first-team players he’s now rubbing shoulders with, Robertson is a product of the Celtic Youth Academy, and has recently transitioned from an attacking midfielder role to a deeper, No.8 position.

In turn, the 18-year-old has enjoyed learning from the likes of Scott Brown, Callum McGregor and Olivier Ntcham, and reckons his job on the pitch is made easier by the wealth of talent around him.

He added: “From now until the end of the season, again from a personal perspective, I just want to keep training with the first team as much as I can. If I get more chances to be part of the squad, maybe even some more game-time, then that’d be a fantastic bonus.”

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I really, really, like the look of him.

Tommy25 likes this.
  14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That is a lovely goal..

A good size as well but his composure on the ball for his age is top class..

If he can add a bit of dig in the middle of the pitch which was the only thing lacking in Cluj...he'll be some player..

15. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Nice football from the lad.

16. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Strength, ability and the compsure to finish in the manner he did, cracking goal.

Tommy25 likes this.
  17. Dublin Celt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Barry Coffey
    He seems to have it all as a sitting type of central mid, then he goes and shows that composure and technical ability yesterday v Chelsea. Seems to have really gone to a different level this season and seems to be brimming with confidence having been involved with the first team

Sent from my GM1903 using Tapatalk

18. Seosamh Máirtín

Excellent goal. Who was that player that played the through ball to Dembele?

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Jack Hendry.

20. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Simple build up play, excellent goal. Could well have played himself into contention for weekend.
    Lovely close control, just what we need against packed defenses.