1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Link] Scott McKenna

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Celtic_Daft1888, Aug 4, 2018.

Discuss Scott McKenna in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Iv not just went by stats, i watch a lot of scottish football, i used statistics to back up my opinion.

How many of them were high profile and/or costing of a goal? Boyata made mistakes too and quite a few costly ones.

A defender should be able to defend first and foremost. I just think people are giving him a raw deal. He is rated high by their fans and pretty well thought of around Scotland.

I would prefer we signed a defender in the mould of schar, a big sexy * with a good pedigree and footballing brain who can play football. But im just making the point that Mckenna is a good defender and by no means a donkey.
    Kelvin Wilson didnt have the best start with Celtic but under Lennon he grew into the role and became a solid defender. Mckenna at 22 can do the same.

If Jozo goes we need to replace him. No two ways about it. If we can bring in someone better than him, happy days. But whether there will be better availible and for better value then that remains to be seen.

I would argue that players like Balde and Varga were not the most technically gifted centre backs, but they were dominant and could defend the goal and had big presence.

2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im just playing, was a wee bit of toungue in cheek..
    but the point i was making is that this is often said about our league and these diddy teams, and some of our fans even try to demean and underrate some of the players from the spl we are linked to, but go on to do very well when they move down south.

I always believe we should try and sign the best scottish talent and its frustrating when we pass up on some and they go on to go from strength to strength in other leagues.

freitassen likes this.
  3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Only time I've seen him play for Scotland he had a stormer and kept dabbur quiet

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

4. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    No, im advocating potentially buying him as a replacement if jozo is to be sold if there is not another defender of better quality available because i believe he is a lot better than your judgement and at his relatively young age, he has time to learn and continue to improve and he will improve.

5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Thats fair enough mate, i respect the opinion you hold too, but i just think it should be borne in mind that players who have been a success at us and down south, have come from our league and have played against these perceived weaker sides and earned their moves on merit.

We might not have the most technical league, but we are still capable of producing decent and often underrated players and id like to see them come to celtic and for us not to miss out on them before they go down south. Its not even just about having scottish players, they could be from wherever, but if they have played and excelled here and they are right under our nose and available at the
    price then i think we should be looking to make these moves.

I happen to think he is better, more dominant and physically imposing than Hendry and has done more at this stage of his career, but again thats just me.

tarboltontim likes this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I've showed countless that have all resulted in goals in big game's or at crucial points in game's they've gone on to lose..

He's lauded as this brave no nonsense defender but I've seen him get embarrassed and would class him as more of a hatchet man than no nonsense..

Balde and Varga were light-years ahead of him as defender's. Positionally, pace, fear factor and even ability on the ball..

There won't be a single striker in Scotland that worries about coming up against McKenna..

Murph-E, Rydo1888*, clonbhoy and 2 others like this.
  7. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    You were asking for mistakes from McKenna. McGuire has posted clips of about 20 on this thread. That’s not even including him being all over the place in recent Scotland games.

A club in England bidding for someone doesn’t mean a player is any good.

8. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

:56::56:

Tugboat used to be Hulk Hogans best mate and he teamed up with Earthquake who was the Hiulksters big nemesis at the time right after the infamous Bushwacker attack!

Pity they ain't all dead, would do a good job in the centre of defence.

And folk think it's not real!

Murph-E likes this.
  9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This.

Aberdeen have painted themselves into a corner by demanding epl prices. Effectively theyre looking for triple his value.

5m buys you a player of almost twice the ability and potential elsewhere.

He isnt a "bad" defender, he's just not what we should be looking at.

10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I hope we haven't sunk to the point of accepting players just because they're better than Hendry.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Ipswichbhoy67, Murph-E and Valhalla like this.
  11. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    There is a danger for the sheep that they will be left with an unhappy player, if their valuation isn't met.

G_portillo likes this.
  12. StevieBhoooy!

And there’ll be a grubby agent somewhere telling him he’s also worth 15k a week....

Hopefully it won’t be Celtic paying it!

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  13. clonbhoy

How is this a debate!? Has nobody watched the *? He is * abysmal!

Murph-E and McChiellini.. like this.
  14. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Always the predicament when a player hands in a transfer request. Either give them bigger wages or an improved contract if they are worth it, or move them on.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    The Prof likes this.
  15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Well i asked you for them and/or for any high profile ones that have lead directly to goals, as you had stated to me that you had seen a lot of him?
    No player is devoid of mistakes in their game. Surely to gain a rounded judgement you would also watch their highlights and come to an informed decision? Is that not a bit like judging a player on their youtube highlights?

Thats fine that he has done that, Im sure we could make a few players look pretty * by posting a compilation of their mistakes. But the fact remains that if he is statistically one of the better defenders in the league, then these mistakes happen less frequently and he more effective as a defender than a majority of his counter parts.

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Three clubs in england have either bid or shown interest. One confirmed bid of £5m. For a team out-with ourselves and rangers, thats pretty big money.
    No real point in debating this because im sure you will find a fault with the manager.. then scouts..

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :rofl:

18. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    Everyone seems to have forgotten that there's English clubs after him.

That means he's no coming to us :56:

Thank *.

clonbhoy likes this.
  19. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Only thing about Jozo and now KT, this gives me the fear. We have money.......... to blow.

20. freitassen

No bother mate, I got it. I largely agree. I am quite sad we missed out on McGinn. But dont think McKenna is good actually. The best would be Aberdeen getting their 7 million from england and using it to mount a good team and steal the second place from the huns. It is what I hope that happens

Belgian_lad and littlekennie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.