1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maestro 08

People wanting rid of Brown. We're a walk over as it is when the tackles start flying, if Brown leaves we'll be utterly spineless. Yes he was * on Saturday but so was pretty much everyone. The guy is a great captain, fantastic leader & has given everything for this club and should be given the chance to continue to do so. I too would offer him a new deal. His influence stretches far beyond the pitch, you hear all the players commenting on how great he is. He's a shining example to all the players on how a dedicated pro should be and should be cherished at this club. He won't always play from now on but he definitely has a part to play not only in certain games but behind closed doors. His influence is crucial we can't allow that to just walk out the door. The guy deserves more respect. Player, player/coach, coach and then who knows, that's how this should go. Whether he wants to be a bit part player though is another question but then again he could surprise us all and kick on again, wouldn't be the first time.

Spring Time likes this.
  2. Leon67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    KT
    Needs to leave on a high in my opinion. Don’t become a Lustig Broony.

3. Maestro 08

I might be the only one but I genuinely don't think his legs have gone. I believe there's a couple of years in him yet. Its well known he's one of the fittest players in our squad. It just so happens that McGregor has been a revelation in that position and brings a new dynamic to the role but there is definitely a need for someone like Brown in our squad. He might not play the 50/60 games a season he used to get but 20/25 starts and experience off the bench plus his influence in the changing room. It's a no brainer for me.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  4. celtic warrior

I can't believe what's happened, it's as if a there was switch flicked over night.

Never thought I would be happy to see Brown away from the starting line up. I can only describe it as some sort of shell shock, I dunno what I'm seeing.

5. Sydneysider

Youre not !

He had poor game, so did the rest. He will get his form and fitness back after the break.

He will have that ugly purple-faced little rodent in his back pocket next time they meet

Captain Brown and Maestro 08 like this.
  6. Lecs

I love Broony, but to win against him? You just stick a man on him at all times and it * his entire game plan. Aberdeen tried to do it with May, Huns did it with Morelos.

In previous years teams, particularly Sevco just sat off Broony and let him stroll about in his slippers. They waited until Broony passed it then the next guy would get pressed. But if teams press Broony he doesn't have the technical ability to move the ball quick enough so he plays it out of the pitch as he did countless times on Saturday.

You press McGregor and he moved it too quickly for you to get near him. Not comparing him to a Xavi but that's what it's like in Scotland. He is just far too quick and accurate at passing it which allows us to play our quick tempo game.

Teams that have beat us have just pressed us, and many of our players aren't good enough technical players so they bottle it and kick it out or put each other under unnecessary pressure.

Boyata is a prime example. I'd go as far as saying he's an excellent defender in the tackle. His timing is usually brilliant. But he is a * bombscare when put under pressure. His judgement and reading of the game is * poor too. Far too many times he got caught on the wrong side of Morelos. I don't rate that wee ugly * but Boyata can't handle him.

WolfOfParkhead and FrankMcCallum like this.
  7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Gets paid too much to be a impact sub needs moved on

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk

8. Maestro 08

Well maybe that's how negotiations would need to go. A new contract but on reduced terms to reflect his lesser role going forward, maybe with a coaching capacity within it. If he decides he would rather take one last pay day elsewhere then I wouldn't hold it against him. Would love him to stay though.

9. horseshoe

I don't want to jump the gun and write him off completely, but the main concern about Brown's style of play has always been his legs going and losing a yard of pace, once that happens his game becomes extremely limited, he doesn't have the defensive ability of say Lennon for example that he could get away with it for longer.

But assuming the other day was maybe just a fitness issue, and he's back to normal after the winter break, I'm not sure he's a starter anymore, we played our best football this season when he was injured and mcgregor was the sitting midfielder.

10. DonnyCelt

I think he'll go to Australia

11. Pearse67*

Win the league this year and go out on a high

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It really isn’t.

I’m sure he knows he had a bad game but I’m also sure he can and will play better.

Spring Time likes this.
  13. Solidsnake

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Can't believe some of the things i've read about the captain. Broonie deserves nothing less than a contract offering him the chance to secure the ten.

Why is Brown taking the flak for Rodgers * show on Saturday. As soon as i saw the line up i knew what was coming. A game of this intensity needs a strong midfield. Brown got snubbed for weeks. starting him Saturday when he couldn't of been match fit was a risk. A risk which was only increased by giving him Ntcham to play beside. another player who has not been playing regular enough to be at the desired level. Although tht rarely matters with him, a complete waste of a jersey.

we went into the game with weakened forward line and a weakened defense. It was Rodgers sacrifice of the midfield that killed us not Browns recent form.

Scott Brown has been and continues to be a fantastic servant of this club who has put himself on the line for us time after time. Nah Broonies no past it folks, he just deserves a bit more help from his manager that what he got on Saturday.

TonyTim and Maestro 08 like this.
  14. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Sat was all about BR lack of trust in a LB other than KT. He was left with little option than to move CMc thinking bringing Broony into the midfield would make us harder to break down. Then basically Broonys legs once again let him down. his slackness in passing was terrible to watch. The only time I felt confident anything was going to happen was then CMc got the ball over the half way line. By this time Broony was behind the ball, and I knew he wasn't going to be involved in the attacking play. Its a new Lb we need to be able to deputise for KT when he picks up the niggling injuries he understandably gets. BR has no faith in either Hays, or Izaguirre

15. leeso-ardoyne

Cant believe what people are writing about Scott Brown! Swear to * you * are off your * head!! You * deserve to watch us lose 10IAR with that attitude! Disrespecting a great servant to our club. So * if hes had a bad spell, * happens. Loyalty tells you to stick by him, not throw him to the slaughter ffs. Its just a tricky situation were in now but with BR and SB at the head of it all, well manage to win another treble this year. SB deserves to be here for 10IAR either as captain or hanging about the fringes. Not cast of to OZ somewhere after hes had a few bad games.

Solidsnake and Maestro 08 like this.
  16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AUSTRALIAN side Western Melbourne will this week step up their bid to lure Scott Brown Down Under.

The A-League new boys want the Celtic skipper as their marquee signing for the 2019/20 season.

And SunSport understands Aussie chiefs will hold crunch talks with Brown over the next few days as they try to lure the midfielder from Parkhead.

Western Melbourne are willing to hand the 33-year-old a three-year deal to move.

Brown, also wanted by MLS sides Minnesota United and Sporting Kansas City, is out of contract at the end of the season.

Western Melbourne made an initial approach earlier this year and will now step up their sales pitch after clinching their A-League licence.

Football director Steve Horvat said: “We’ve been putting the feelers out for marquee players. Now we will ramp up those negotiations.

“Scott Brown is an incredibly inspirational leader for Celtic and is the sort of high-calibre player who would set the standard at our club.”

Horvat and Lou Sticca, the agent who brought Scott McDonald to Celtic, are expected to lead the negotiations.

Brown, who has been offered a deal to extend his 11-year stay at Celtic, would be a big loss for Brendan Rodgers.

But after winning 17 trophies in over 500 appearances for the club, Celtic won’t put pressure on their captain.

Western Melbourne will want an answer from Brown in January, with the A-League season starting in October.

17. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

I am the same. Broony taking more than a little bit of critisism. Yea ok, he had a bad game there is no need to hide that but what players didnt? This was the Managers making. Broony and Nchamp cannot play together you then put your only midfield play maker to left back and has disaster written all over it. Broomies legs have gone, its the aging process ut what we missed was that link up from Broony sitting ro midfield. If we had Cal Mac or Rogic in there things could have been different. I say could be because no one really knows. Broonies and the defence mistakes were all down to them putting pressure with no where to go. No pass on to misfield, no long outball as no forward who could hold it up. Broony loves this club and shoild be shown the respect for what he has achieved. Everyone seems to be making him a scapegoat for the defeat. It was a defeat no worse than against Hibs, Hearts or Killie. For them the Manager should be taking all the flak, he picked the teams

18. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

The second most decorated captain in our history & * are wanting to throw him out with the bath water. Its embarrassing to read this * from some *.

He has single handed dragged us back into games we were losing, he has driven us onto some memorable performances only for this level of petulance to be shown by the very people he does it for week in week out.

He has never, ever hidden as a Celtic player, always stood up for his team mates & is a model pro. He took all the vile * they threw at him about his sister, & rose above it & gave his all to Celtic.

I’m truly gutted for him if he reads any of this *.

19. Britwell bhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Give me Broonie over Ntcham all day long .

Solidsnake and Maestro 08 like this.
  20. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I'm all for him not being a starter anymore but I'm completely against booting him out the door unless that's what he wants, mans a legend and if he wants to stay then keep him. Some people seem to underestimate how important he is to our dressing room, ideally I'd love brown to retire here and go into a coaching role.