1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott Brown

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by hkbhoy, May 15, 2007.

Discuss Scott Brown in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Sounds like he's at the crossroads after seeing the team perform so well without him, probably got all sorts going through his head like wether or not it's time to step aside as a regular, accept a lesser role, continue as a starter or go for a lifestyle option.

Personally think he will sign, will be a starter next few weeks and realise he still has a huge role here.

2. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Whilst I don't disagree with you the reality is he is 33 years of age. The standard he is maintaining is phenomenal in fairness. To expect that to last any longer than a year or two is expecting too much though. When he came on against Salzburg he was imposing, that much is true. But let's not hide from the fact he came on later on in the game with fresh legs against a team that pressed and pressed and pressed.

Broony has and is superb for Celtic but father time waits for no one. Personally, as horrible as it will be to see him go I'd rather see him go on a high and keep the memory. As opposed to see his standard start to decline and struggle for a place against the younger lads - which will inevitably happen. Just case of when and not if.

Let him enjoy the remainder of his career earning big bucks in the sunshine. We need to get to work and make sure we are ready for the time brown moves on. If thats this summer or the next remains to be seen

3. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

I don't disagree with most of that, but I don't think we should be just letting him swan off into the sunset (which in fairness, Rodgers and the club aren't), without putting up a fight.

Club captain - declining yes - but not finished. He has a huge role still to play in whatever capacity it ends up being, a one year rolling contract is what I'd be looking for. Lets get him fully fit before waving him goodbye.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    What I hear Brendan saying there is that we want him to stay but aren't willing to offer him the length of contract he wants. Probably only offered him 2 years or something. If that is true, I get Lawwell's thinking. It's unlikely he will go into the 2020-21 season as a first pick; but I would argue that right here and now he is still vital. The money we'd lose by giving him the length of contract he probably wants is less than we have lost by allowing Boyata to run down his contract.

Knowing Broony, he'll probably take the Australia option as soon as he stops getting a game anyway. I can't imagine him doing a Boerrigter/Compper and sitting on the bench collecting a wage.

All of this is just my intuition, reading between the lines. I can't back any of it up. I might be totally off as usual. :giggle1:

5. joemc

Agree with most of this ,br obviously knows his value beyond just playing and this maybe the sticking point ,broony is hugely competitive and thats the reason he is still 1 of our top players ,it will have been discussed with him that he would poss be phased out end of next season , his value in the dressing room is massive and a coaching role will be tempting against the sun and complete lifestyle change for his family .

Random Review likes this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    It has to be taken in to account but he has to think of his family on this one..

I imagine going to somewhere like Australia out the way will be appealing as let's be honest here, he is a hate figure and despised around the country, especially by that lot's unhealthy hatred of him..

Going about his day to day life normally even in Edinburgh with his family he'll get untold abuse. I don't think that'll ever stop. Ok when you're rubbing it in their faces pumping them and playing but when retired and doing nothing? No so sure..

I think the way he is, he'll want to stay but I don't buy the first team getting to him no playing. Although he has to look after his self career wise and financially...I do believe he wants what's best for us and will be delighted at how the midfield trio have been playing in his absence. In fact he's probably relieved that he isn't seen as a must play in the side now and that we can function without him as he get's closer to retirement..

He doesn't have to be played through injuries. He can still influence and play his part but no as intensely..

He retired from international football twice for a reason so he's no delusional. He must also know that he'll have to take a fair drop in wages. Was being targeted by team's player's taking it in turns trying to finish him completely..

I think he'll sign on and be here for the 10. Whether he's still playing by the 10 I don't know, but I'd like to see him here as a coach when he does decide that's it..

Random Review likes this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Absolutely zero chance of that happening.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Why? Took Sinclair off at half time the other day, think he’s getting fed up of him. Christies out.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

McGregor will be the first name on the team sheet.

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Heard he’s after 3yr deal and we’re offering 2.. surely we could do 2 with an option if a third +coaching role?

11. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye defo, but with no other option on the left and no Christie he could move him to the left, it’s an option..

Don’t get me wrong McGregor in a deep central role coupled with Christie’s energy has been the main reason in us playing so well of late.. it should be who partners him in the central area. It will be interesting to see what BR does with no Christie..

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He’d be on the teamsheet?

PaulM1888 likes this.
  13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The first time I read it, I read "left out" instead of "out left". Is that what happened to you too? :giggle1:

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Surrounded by imbeciles :fear:

JC Anton likes this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It’s a tricky one tho isn’t tho, we lose a lot of what’s been good recently if we move McGregor.. however may work well at shitpit.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We’ve lost Christie who’s workrate is a big part of McGregor being comfortable there. Broony will come back in and he’s far more a threat than Sinclair is just now. Easy decision for me.

17. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    We can’t afford to let Brown go because if he had not come on on Thursday night we would have been humped . He is the one guy you can guarantee that will come on and control the game .

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Don’t think it’s straight forward mate, can see him keeping the same formation and replacing Christie with Ntcham.. certainly initially if Ntcham doesn’t step up he may try something else. Think he will be keen not to upset our rhythm too much.. but aye if Sinclair continues to struggle for consistency then he may have no choice to put McGregor out there..

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    He won’t play Ntcham before Broony mate

20. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Will be interesting mate, Ntcham slots in without varying our system too much. Pushing McGregor out of position to the left could upset the momentum we’ve had.. McGregor is due a rest too right enough but Hibs away isn’t the game to rest him imo.