Ryan Gauld moves to Sporting Lisbon for €3 million

Discussion in 'Scottish Football' started by holy pope, Jul 1, 2014.

Discuss Ryan Gauld moves to Sporting Lisbon for €3 million in the Scottish Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaulM1888

PaulM1888 Gold Member Gold Member

This lad has a good attitude though which will serve him well.

The fawning over him from day one was ridiculous in fairness, however, if he's playing regularly in Portugal then his career has progressed beyond Dundee United. So in that sense he's at least developed.

Swervedancer and packybhoy like this.
  2. Dazza

Dazza

Fav Celtic Player:
    Boruc
    That wasn't a penalty but to recall him from loan ffs that's petty

3. CookieMonster

CookieMonster 3 time BOTB Champion Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King Efe Ambrose
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Glasgow Celtic IRA
    Was a gamble to go abroad, plenty teams in the Scottish and English leagues would take him. Just wasting away now.

4. Mcguire1

Mcguire1 We are all wee Sean the Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    My wee boy (hopefully) one day..
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Di Canio song..
    I see that Jack Harper has signed permanently for Malaga..

5. Mr Monaghan

Mr Monaghan Son and Heir Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always. xxx
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'd take him here.

Think Rodgers could really do something with him. Rogic/Gauld for the CAM spot would be interesting.

6. packybhoy

packybhoy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley.
    I think we are fine in the middle at the moment mate.:50:

7. Mr Monaghan

Mr Monaghan Son and Heir Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always. xxx
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think we need another number 10.

I rate Gauld above Christie. Think he has the ability to go further. Not saying I'm desperate for him here but if the opportunity arose I wouldn't say no.

packybhoy likes this.
  8. Zanderama

Zanderama

Watch this for a cringe fest

9. Dear Hunter

Dear Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Hopefully he gets a move out of there. He was brave to go to Portugal and no doubt has learned plenty, but it's not been the success we all hoped it'd be.

Wouldn't be shocked if Hearts made a move for him, even on loan. What with Cathro and Souttar being there.

Keano88 likes this.
  10. ILoveTheCeltic

ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I was talking to Sporting fans I met in Dortmund at their game against each other and we were talking about our teams and they said they didnt know much about Gauld but he probably wouldnt get a game for them because of their manager.

They said the manager was mental, very arrogant and I asked like Mourinho and they said much worse and that he comes off really badly to everyone like he doesnt know how arrogant and daft he looks. After games he claims that he won the game and as if its all down to him but when they lose he gets tore into players. Made him sound like a psycho, although they said he was a very good manager and great at spotting players and where players should be playing gave a few examples of players he'd swapped into other positions who went on to be great when they had played in other roles before and that he was very good tactically.

Anyway about Gauld i've never really rated him, physically very weak, no pace and although he was decent on the ball he was nothing special. Scott Allan probably has more mobility and ability on the ball. As PaulM says the hype and fawning over him from the start was too much, they were making him sound like McGeady or Maloney who were actual quality at 18/19 rather than the fairly ordinary player he was.

11. Swervedancer

Swervedancer Quality Street Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I don't know much about his situation but why are Sporting offering him £3m? Is this just so that when another team come in for him then that'll be the minimum and they'll be looking for £5m at least.

Is he worth £5m to us? I can't imagine the wages over there are much better than ours? If he's not got pace but is a great playmaker I wouldn't mind someone like that to back up Rogic. Different types of players but a playmaker even without place create great link up play. I mean it might be a stretch of the imagination and a wild analogy but wasn't Riquelme famous for standing in the one spot in the pitch and making everything happen from them?

Mind you I don't think Riquelme is a Rodgers type of player unless it was the man hiself.

But it's going to be so hard for us to find a player of Rogic's quality so we don't miss him so much when he's injured. That's going to be some peice of scouting as it's one of the most desirable positions in any. team.

Thena again maybe we might want someone who can play CM but is more defenvsive like Lucas who can calm a game down and hold a lead when we're ahead.

Must be some job picking the right synergy for a football team no matter what the budget is. Luckily we have Brendan and hs team though who I expect to put a lot of deep thought into every variable capability a player will have.

12. Luz1904

Luz1904

He's got decent pace.

Some plays from last month:
    http://videos.sapo.pt/DHdF8RZwypo72iOVSyIt
    http://videos.sapo.pt/7mSZ9ol593qj5YlnIFlm
    http://videos.sapo.pt/1wejRmfoZP47suySbm8s

13. Swervedancer

Swervedancer Quality Street Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Cheers. I don't like to judge players from short videos as you never see the bigger picture. However, he does look fast enough, and he's also got pretty high level skill and confidence from what I can see there. I mean he actually looks like a quality player, just his body langauge is far more european than what what Scotland currently has.

No way he could play on the right wing or is he a dedicated no.10? I'd like a player with those abilities to replace Paddy and compete with Forrest for a position.

He looks looks like he would be far superior to the SPFL but we're looking for UCL level players so that's our problem. Portugal do develop very good talent though so for him to be only £3m suggests they don't rate him or they're letting others know that's a starting point. I can imagine another team buyng him for that price.

What about Barca's Halalivoc? Wonder how much he's rated at. Way beyond our mean but just to compare with Gauld.

14. .Zander.

.Zander. Gold Member Gold Member

Oh come on. Gauld was far from ordinary as an 18 year old.

15. ILoveTheCeltic

ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    He was, disregarding age and just going on performances he Was Dundee Utd, a mid table SPL teams 4th or 5th best player. To go from that to a Celtic class player is a big step up.

An 18/19 year old McFadden, Maloney or McGeady for example would have been Dundee Utds best player. They were real quality deserving of hyping up, Gauld was made out to be a star player and quality when he wasnt.

16. .Zander.

.Zander. Gold Member Gold Member

I disagree. He was a standout for United. Him and Robertson

17. James

James Gold Member Gold Member

I've never rated him either tbh

18. CalgaryBhoy

CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    I thought he was a great prospect, and one destined for bigger things than Dundee United, but Sporting Lisbon? Na. Think he showed great ability on the ball, decent pace but nothing incredible. Always though Robertson or Armstrong looked better. This is not to say I didn't think he earned his big move, but I don't think he was at the level of going to Sporting Lisbon, and having a £40 million buyout clause inserted on him.