1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rugby Union

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Jozo The Provo, Nov 8, 2014.

Discuss Rugby Union in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Keano88

I take it we made a lot of mistakes :giggle1:

Forgot this was on ffs.

2. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    It was the Scotland of old in the second half just *

cidermaster likes this.
  3. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!

Yes that just about sums it up

4. Fear Dearg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Pat Bonnar
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and Over
    Laidlaw you classless *

5. Bob Loblaw Gold Member Gold Member

Sorry, but I don't buy this whole rugby mentality that a referee should be immune to criticism because "we're all gentlemen and not footballers."

Laidlaw didn't word it particularly well and Poite isn't the reason they lost, but he had an awful game and it isn't classless to question it.

6. clonbhoy

Ireland were poor today, even poorer than last week. World Cup quarter-finalists at best. They are nowhere near the team that beat New Zealand in November.

Scotland were the same as last week with the ball. They have no patience and kept making terrible decisions. It was a shame Hogg and Sexton got injured,it might explain why the second half was such dross.

7. wd2oo3 Gold Member Gold Member

Its the difference between Scotland and a slam winning team like Ireland . The errors Scotland make in games put Scotland on the back foot and make it 100x more difficult. I do not think its a patience related issue though its more an experience problem. The squad Scotland have are very young they have a lot to learn. Best Scottish team in years but just as Scotland have improves so have the others (apart from the French imo).

Did we see Ireland make any unforced errors / giving a silly penalty away when Scotland were 22+ phases of possession inside the Irish 22 right before half time? No they were cool under pressure and that is what makes a grand slam winning side. Ireland's mentality and ability under pressure is phenomenal, they went in at half time with two easy try's and up on the scoreboard. Was in my opinion the most important time in the game, the psychological advantage was in the Irish teams favour going in at half time. Scotland played much better Rugby in the first half today i think. The try's Scotland gave away and the inability to break the Irish defense right before half time was the decider in the match it was always going to go one way in the second half.

Scotland are improving year on year and its a breath of fresh air seeing Scotland play some great rugby scoring some really good try's. The pass for Scotland's first try today is evidence of this, cool, calm and knew what he was doing. 33 - 3 up against Italy also I could argue its great to see Scotland play with belief rather than grinding out wins. There was not many poor decisions against Italy until the last 10-15 mins after the Scottish teams concentration levels dropped after the BP try. I wanted it to finish 33-3 against Italy. Too many silly try's and mistakes historically and I hoped going into this 6 nations campaign Scotland would have finally put that to bed. a 33 - 3 against Italy would have been something to build upon. But back to square one (again). Until Scotland fix their defensive and decision making issues Scotland wont be crowned champions of the 6 nations. Ireland have been there seen it and done it today's match showed this, they are sensible in possession, calm under pressure and take their chances. One these years with a bit of luck Scotland could win it. I think within the next 5 years Scotland will win a 6 nations championship but not the slam. Scotland have a very good team, young with the right winning attitude. Scottish rugby has went from strength to strength in recent years and will continue to do so. Just thought of this while editing Haha Jesus if Scotland didn't get that dodgy decision against Australia in the last world cup Scotland could have been potential world cup finalists! That is the luck i am talking about. Scotland are far from the best but the team Scotland have at the moment have the ambition to do better. Its all about learning from the mistakes.

Shame for Sexton and Hogg today. Couldn't believe it when Sexton missed the first conversion. Surely he knew going into the game he wasn't 100% match fit? Shows though the Irish did not take Scotland for granted today and they knew it was a must win game. If Ireland lost today the 6 nations was was over for them. There are a few players injured in both teams currently, hopefully Ireland and Scotland have fully fit teams going into the world cup in September I am highly looking forward to it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  8. clonbhoy

The Six Nations is over for Ireland anyway, unless England throw it away. It is about getting back to the required levels before the World Cup. Currently, Ireland are miles off.
    I do worry that it is the usual World Cup year slump, mixed in with Schmidt announcing he was leaving. It just feels wrong.

9. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:

England have walked it now,shame,big shame,but what can we do.Ireland can get 2nd place though and then re charge their batteries and have their best ever World Cup,as for Scotland,we are just not good enough.

10. clonbhoy

I can't see it. Quarter-finals again and no more.

11. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:

Well i say Semi Finals and take it from there:lol:

12. clonbhoy

I can't see Ireland beating either New Zealand or South Africa in the quarters, unless we can play them last year!

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

A canter for England this 6 Nations.. the Welsh the last hope..

14. clonbhoy

They will batter Wales, the Welsh have gone backwards since November too.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

No doubt but they are always a danger at home.

clonbhoy likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Definitely giving the England game a swerve..

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

How did that go?

Almost as bad as the arrogance about an average Ireland that were handed a victory by a bumbling Scotland performance in possession.

18. clonbhoy

I'm not sure, I didn't watch it. I know Wales won with an experimental line-up, it certainly doesn't seem to have been as comfortable as it should have been.

I said that it would be a routine win for Ireland and it was, albeit without any improvement from last week, from either side; slight regression if anything. Scotland were dreadful again in possession, incapable of discipline with the ball and constantly taking the wrong option.
    Ireland were robotic and clinical but, as a result, were very predictable and made some errors in defence and one major one when Carbery tried to be unpredictable. Schmidt chastised him for it afterwards. We looked good when Sexton was on, average, at best when he was off. I don't think he can go through a World Cup unscathed. Murray still doesn't like right. His passes are all a fraction out and his kicks all too long. For all the talk of our strength in-depth, we really struggle when our first choice half-backs are injured. In saying that, Marmion and McGrath are injured too.
    Anyway, as I feared after the England game, a quarter-final in Japan appears to be the ceiling.Again.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It wasn’t a routine win for Ireland, they were poor. Scotland handed them an easy win ultimately.

Wales struggled against Italy, you don’t need to have watched it to realise they were staring defeat in the face until they made changes.

20. clonbhoy

It panned out pretty close to how I expected and that was routine. Both teams played similarly to the week before. Scotland determined to choose the more difficult and less advantageous option when in possession and Ireland kicking the ball too often and too far. I never felt that Ireland were going to lose the game, but the performance was rotten.
    France vs Scotland should be entertaining next time though. I expect a load of errors and plenty tries. Both teams with discipline problems and a preference for taking the hard option.

Regarding the other game, it would certainly appear so, there certainly seems to much wailing and gnashing of the teeth in Wales about the performance. I haven't seen anyone suggest they were staring defeat in the face, but were that the case, they would have deserved it for their selection.