1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Keane

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Lennons_Ghirl, Sep 29, 2005.

Discuss Roy Keane in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Not saying he shouldn't. Just saying I don't think you can label him a * assistant if he appears to be doing his job well. Both for Ireland and Villa.

2. Vinnie BBQ Justice is lost Justice is raped Justice is gone.

:smiley-laughing002: I like this theory. :50:

3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Going to start this by saying, I did not and do not want Roy Keane as our manager.

Now after the outburst from commons directed towards collins/kennedy midweek, after the transfer windows and players we have brought in etc, it's starting to really look like Roy Keane was on the money.

No one can tell me we signed a young, potential, respected manager from Norway and he has decided not to dip in to that market at all. And in that breath tell me his first choice of striker was nadir ciftci and then Carlton Cole. I'm sure he must have knowledge of other players from Norway at least.

It's also interesting to highlight keanes points about assistant, and then look at Delia being landed with Collins and Kennedy. Again, was he really happy with that appointment?
    Delia comes across as a nice guy, and it's not a stretch to suggest that the story about Collins and Delia having dinner and clicking right away, isn't the usual nicey-nice thing folk always say. Same when players of our opponents will generally say good things when they talk about us pre/post games.

Anyway, back to Keane and his remarks, pairing them up with what's going on with Delia the now. It seems actually very likely that the board offered the gig to Keane (as he says) and then we pulled it away from him because Keane isn't the easy wash over we thought he may have been.
    We seem to hire managers lately who think we are doing them a turn, thus won't step out of line and do what is told. Lennon and his celtic connection, first gig as a manager, how could he turn it down? He would agree to anything - till he knew he was never going to get anything in support from the board, financially, and he left.
    Mowbray could be the same, a guy who needed the next big challenge, thought the old played for celtic thing would ease the fans and he would be this big soft sap who would be honoured to manage us.
    Delia now, young manager from abroad getting his first big chance at a well known and historic club, Delia probably thought Christmas and his birthday came at the same time and would have agreed to all the restrictions, because how great would this gig be for him if he does well, which he could do because look what he done in Norway on such budgets and restrictions.

Point is, there is more to what Keane has said and piecing things together, it's telling how badly managed at a high level we are.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29525723

4. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Good post and I agree fully. I have no idea why we thought it would be a good idea to force John Collins on any new manager, or why we would think it would be acceptable to do so to a new manager. If rumours are correct we approached both Keane and Larsson before Deila, neither of them are ever likely to accept things any other way than their own - they are both very much their own men.

I'm not one to slate the board for a lack of investment, I think the money we spend now should be sufficient to get us to the group stage under the Champions route. However, I do think we are poorly run from the top. Honestly, from a guy like Lawwell earning £1m+ a year it's so, so amateurish and petty.

5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Guy is a *.

6. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Genuine question.. why?

7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Great player..

Awful manager wouldn't want him anywhere us.

8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He's an angry man. That anger made him a world class footballer and a * poor excuse of a manager.

9. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

I really don't think he is an angry man. He doesn't let things build up inside him.. Doesn't let anything bother him. If you watched some of his interviews he'll change your opinion I think.

10. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

He waited 4 years to try & snap Haaland in two.

11. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

That is a good point :smiley-laughing002:

Still though, it is only one incident.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I've read both his books which only reaffirmed the fact.

Roy Keane is an angry man. He goes through life with an almighty chip on his shoulder.

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

That's fair enough so if you've read his books. I disagree though :50:

14. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yeah, there's no denying he's an angry man. Does he not more or less admit that in his second book?

15. Jozo The Provo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    I like Keano

16. Nasser

I agree with the badly managed at a high level point but from what I gathered from that is that it was about money for Keane, and his own ego could not handle what Celtic thought he was worth, same goes for when he was a has-been player when he signed for Celtic, we did him a favour not the other way round, yet Keane ego can't contemplate that.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Exactly :56:

18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Barely ever seen him smile, unless he's halved some * in two..

Can imagine he's a barrel of laughs when he's tucked away on his farm. I'm sure he has a farm. He looks like he has a farm..

No offence to countrysider's..

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Can agree, he doesnt stipulate too much on what the restrictions are and the point about Peter saying "and thats it" would suggest its money related, I agree.
    But it gives me some food for thought that there may have been other restrictions when he says the assistant was already lined up.

No manager worth their salt would agree to that.
    Coupled with the happy dinner story from ronny about Collins, suggests to me deila didnt really have the choice either - Collins was the assistant, deila just got the chance to meet him before he rejected the offer or not.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

20. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

I'd imagine Deila was going to be Keane's assistant, as it was the plan to appoint him as assistant to Lennon when Mjallby left us. I'd say Collins was probably appointed to assist Deila as he is someone who already had a knowledge of Celtic and the Scottish game.