1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Keane

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Lennons_Ghirl, Sep 29, 2005.

Discuss Roy Keane in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lennons_Ghirl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Maloney - Lennon - Miller
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JVoH
    Keane To Leave United....

Roy Keane has put Celtic on alert by claiming he expects to leave Manchester United next May, saying: "I'm prepared to play elsewhere."

The Irishman's contract is due to expire in the summer and it was widely assumed he would be given at least an extra year, possibly to combine playing duties with a coaching role.

However, in a live MUTV phone-in, Keane has rejected any likelihood of moving straight on to Sir Alex Ferguson's backroom staff and feels it will be the end of the season before United chief executive David Gill decides whether the 34-year-old will be handed an extension, by which time it will be too late.

"I would like to play another year or two but I do not think it will be at Manchester United," he said.

"I would be surprised if I was offered a new contract and even if I was, I would not expect it to be until the end of the season but by then I will have already made a decision about what I am going to do.

"There comes a time for everybody when they have to move on and I am prepared to play elsewhere.

"I think it will be good to experience a different dressing room. It wouldn't be an English team though, coming back to Old Trafford and going into the away dressing room would be too hard for me to stomach."

The last statement is bound to alert Celtic, as Keane has made no secret of his desire to play for the Bhoys at some stage in his career.

Although he is currently sidelined with a broken foot, the prospect of United without Keane is virtually unthinkable.

http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,1863_726480,00.html

2. mafyoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Donati song
    Re: Keane To Leave United....

He might be old but I think we could still get a good season out of him. A year ago people said he was coming and the Celtic fans said he was *. Wish we had took him then

3. Rosco67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Bobo Balde
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

He had his time a couple of seasons ago when he was under contract. Leave him to rot at United. He's just trying to play his cards right to get into the hearts at Celtic fans so they want him here and then hopefully the pressure from the fans would get to the board. Only keane id take at the moment is Robbie:50:

4. Sanders

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    BBB

He's too old now IMO. we don't need him.

5. Tommycfc

Fav Celtic Player:
    Shaun Maloney, Aiden McGeady, Mark Wilson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Jimmy Johnstone On The Wing, Hail Hail

Would love to see Keano at Parkhead myself, think that he's a great player, ano he won't be his old self, but he will still be a very good player next season, a hope we go for him, a think he'd jump at the chance to join us .

6. Dubsbhoy Banned!

we could bring him on the last five minutes of old firms and let him put the * up bassa

been serious....he's too late.

7. Rosco67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Bobo Balde
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

He had the chance, extended his contract, * Keane!

8. lenny1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Craig Beattie / Naka
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Malley

Lennon goes at the end of this season. Keane IMO is still a bit more mobile and fitter than Neil these days, so I'd take him as a 1yr stop gap as we have no natural sucessor. Bringing too many young plays in at one time is dangerous, we need the right blend. Hopefully Beattie/Maloney will be established starters along with Mc Geady featuring more often. These combined with Petrov/Naka/Keane could really be a great foundation for a new generation of domination.
    The following season we may have some young blood ready to step up for this position as the others are doing this year.

9. lard44

Fav Celtic Player:
    Stan Petrov,
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Crossmaglen

Celtic would never pay his wages, and besides some of the younger players would probably play with more enthusiasm and drive.

Give him a couple of seasons to get his UEFA badges and bring him in as a coach, though...he'd keep the squad in line!

10. stoogie 02

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 leaf clover

I would have loved to have seen Keano in the Hoops, but it's too late for him now, would rather see Robbie Keane signed now.
    We need a player in their early to mid twenties to replace Lennon, Keano is not the answer. Lets see how Lawson progresses, he could end up saving us a fortune, and at least under Strachan he'll be given a chance.

11. Overkill187 Batshitcrazy

i would take him even if he was 666 years old!!!!!

12. Johnny_the_fox

too old.. and * off.

if Keane really wanted to play for Celtic someday - and he claims that he supports the club as boy, if given the opportunity would move in their prime..

keane had that chance a few years back before signing extension after extension.

he is only saying he wants to play for celtic as it is a "big club"... as he would get more matches...

13. ZamasBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    All of them!!!

No! I wouldn't touch him. He had the chance to give us a few good years, not one year when he's past it. If we want an aggressive ball-winner in the middle of the park, sign Petrov's M8 Blagoy Georgiev. He is only 23yrs and would be a better long-term option.

14. SussexBhoy1557

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Malley

Would much rather see Robbie Keane in the hoops - he is still pure class and he loves Celtic. If we'd been more realistic and given up on Bellamy at the start of the summer we might of got him - instead the poor guy is still on the bench at Spurs.

15. ZamasBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    All of them!!!

Yeh, but how much would he cost, and who would he replace???? I'd like to see Robbie Keane at Celtic, but his arrival would have Beattie really * off! I wouldn't give him a shout ahead of Zurawski, and I expect Beattie to save us millions when he replaces Hartson.

16. SussexBhoy1557

Fav Celtic Player:
    Petrov
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Malley

True, Beattie could be a good, cheap replacement for Hartson - but Keane is not that sort of player so I don't think would be competing for the same position. And I think Robbie K is a much better player than Zurawski.

17. regicfc

please dont get Him Robbie i would love to see but not Roy all he wants is a pension

18. Murphy7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley + You'll Never Walk Alone

I'm not sure about Keane tbh.

His best years are long behind him.

19. aPOLISHTIM

Fav Celtic Player:
    WEE JINKY
    Fav Celtic Song:
    WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED

I AGREE WITH ZAMASBHOY....GET A YOUNGER PLAYER WITH MORE TO PROVE FOR LESS MONEY, THEN AN AGING OLD FART THAT "THINKS" HE DESERVES TO PLAY FOR HIS FAVORITE TEAM.....BULLOCKS!!!!

20. ogairbhith

Fav Celtic Player:
    moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    youll never walk alone & willie maley

id love to see robbie keane at celtic rather than roy hes past it he had his chance , no disrespect to neil lennon but when he goes i dont see the point of replaceing him with someone like roy whos just as slow now