1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Respect to the Opponent

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Liam Scales, Oct 20, 2016.

Discuss Respect to the Opponent in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Got to say, Gladbach impressed the * out of me. 4 top players missing and the way they went about the game was outstanding... not only were they a very good team, impressive passing and movement, they were fair.

No daft diving about, hard but fair tackling and their fans were outstanding. Everything about the clubs impressed me, from their social media to the team on the pitch.

We were well outplayed, on and off the pitch. Ultimately we were our own downfall but Gladbach's earned a whole lot of respect off of me for one. If we don't manage to salvage the campaign, I hope they pip City to second place.

2. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

The team and fans were a credit to their club.

Arseholes. Why couldn't they be *?!

3. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    When the boy went down in the box in the first half (Lustig or Erik challenge?) he just got up and got on with it.

Could you imagine Neymar doing that?

Refreshing to see.

blizzard bhoy likes this.
  4. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Aye I think that was Andre Hahn. Big *. He impressed me. Had a bit of everything and played fair

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I'm surprised that some didn't rate them. I thought they were absolutely top class..

Most team's have a soft centre, and weaknesses... Even the very best, where you usually still get a sniff. They had none, with 4 and even more out long term..

Up top, quick, and a threat everytime. Midfield absolutely bossed us, and they were creative, plus strong (in the challenge) and dominant. Defensively sound and untroubled, never really caught out (bar a world class ball), and a keeper who claimed everything and was top notch with his distribution..

They had us sussed and we had no comeback. How many side's have done that to us in the Champions League?

6. cozybhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Moravcik, Mcstay
    I spent all day telling people in work etc that we were under dogs in every game in this group.

I had a quick look at how much they spent assembling their squad and as per usual dwarfs our budget, signed 2 players for 25 million in the summer.

We are a work in progress and the progress from last season is excellent.

Their fans were quality as well as the team.

7. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    They played us off the park.

I couldn't really fault our players, they just weren't allowed to play by a superior team.

If there is any positive, it's that had Toure not * up spectacularly, we looked like keeping them at bay despite some brief scares. Sad to say but 0-0 would probably have the most we could hope for.

We'll be tanked in Germany, I'm afraid.

8. Sydneysider

:50: True, they are a very good side. They finished 4th last year in the Bundesliga , and they will end this season in the top 3.

9. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Think they're a good side but they definitely did miss the players they had out. When they got to our final third they looked toothless up until we literally handed them 2 goals on a plate.

The defeat was down to our shortcomings IMO, if we had played anything like the way we did against City we would have beat them and I think the fact City themselves destroyed them is a testament to that.

10. Onefootwonder

I watched their qualifier against Young Boys and knew they were a very good team. I'm surprised so many people underestimated a German team that had qualified for the Champions League.

I thought they looked very good last night. It wouldn't surprise me if they beat Man City in Germany and went through ahead of them.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Finishing touch I thought for them, that wee final part to slice us fully open. The two goals we gifted but they aren't far away from a top team, I'd imagine they'd be a far better one with 4 of their top players in as well.

Their captain was outstanding, really top notch.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I don't think anybody underestimated them to be fair, nobody said it was an easy game/tie.

13. richardm

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I was in Berlin last year and saw them take apart Hertha 4-1 and were very impressive, they have been a bit more inconsistent this season and lost their captain to Arsenal but still demonstrate at times they are quality as they sadly did last night.

The reason some people say stuff like "they didn't rate them" is because that type of mindset thinks only one team should win and if it doesn't it can't possibly be that on the day the other side was better, was actually refreshing and honest of Brendan and Broony to concede that point straight away in the interviews.

We were beaten by a good team, let's move on and try again with another approach is all we can do now

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Stindl was the best player on the park.

Fairly uneventful career as well; Karlsruher and Hannover up until last season.

Keano88 likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    One of the best CL performers I've seen against us. Touch, movement and link up was all top class.

Keano88 likes this.
  16. LloydsGamble

Yep, was one of the best perfromances from an away team I've seen at Celtic Park. That's including lot's of big names including Barca, Milan, Man City & Utd.

Very impressive TEAM with a capital T. Scary that was them missing 4 players. Surprised City beat them 4-0 in Manchester on that showing.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The ball stuck to him like glue, between him and Stindl. It was extremely impressive.

I prefer it when I can hate dirty * that have stomped us in our back yard, I'm genuinely impressed with Gladbach though.

18. jordan_

Would agree with this, most teams buckle at Celtic Park but they were a class above us last night.

Lets not forget even with players missing it was still full of top internationalists and a 2014 world cup winner! They've qualified for CL the past two seasons which must be extremely difficult in their league.

19. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

This is the reason I really like German football.

There's no big marketing hype making it out to be something its not, the players are all dedicated, well drilled professionals and they play fair and don't harass refs every time a decision goes the other way.

The games in the league are direct and full of quality unlike England where they're pish 90% of the time. And Spain where its all passing about and full of diving and theatrics'.

Expected us to do alot better last night, but we we're riding a wave from the City game and I think the players where relying on the fans and atmosphere to give them that extra push, but when our play fell a bit flat so did the atmosphere.

On to the next one.

20. Markybhoy

They're a very good side. Outside of Barcelona, I can't recall any team outplaying us at Parkhead to that degree in the Champions League. The scoreline was only 0-2 but it was a footballing lesson we got last night. The way they could bring the ball under control with one touch and move it on to the next man so quickly was pretty impressive to watch I have to say. I'm a touch relieved their main striker was out or the scoreline could have been worse. To me they look like a team that has the capability to pip Manchester City for second place in the group. I'm not saying they will but they certainly could.

Fair play to them.