1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Cross Platform] Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Computers and Gaming' started by Moustache, Oct 20, 2016.

Discuss Red Dead Redemption 2 in the Computers and Gaming area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Try the lassoo my man. Lazy man's way to hunt. Just trot about on your horse and if you come across something, equip the lassoo and reel the * in. Hold down the trigger and you'll automatically jump off your horse once you've got the creature tied up, keep it held down and walk toward it, then eventually you'll see the option to knife it in the throat for a reasonably clean day's work.

edit: Having just done this you're not actually guaranteed a good quality pelt. But it's fun.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  2. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    I've been reading up on it. Every animal has a 1 star to 3 star rating. 1 star isn't worth hunting unless for meat the three stars give you the decent pelts. You can see the rating at the bottom right hand of the screen when you've locked on to the animal.

Bozza and Mr. Fawlty like this.
  3. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I did not know this. One thing I like about this game, it doesn't spoon feed you everything. Need to find out hunners of stuff yourself.

bhoy_wonder likes this.
  4. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Mission where you go into town and get on the booze with Lenny is great fun.

Came across another snake bite victim and helped him out, a while later I bump into the guy sitting outside the Gunsmith in Valentine. Guy offers to put something on his tab for me by way of thanks so I end up with a free Springfield.

5. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Another thing to do is to buy some Varmint rifle cartridges, they're specifically designed for hunting without damaging pelts.

bhoy_wonder likes this.
  6. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    What is best for hunting bigger animals? Bears, bison etc.

7. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Got the train to saint denis saved the game and went on a killing spree :67::67: couldnt help myself.after all that exploring i needed a bit of action lol.

8. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    I'd guess the hunting rifle, but it's not available to purchase at the start of the game.

To clarify, the Varmint cartridges are for the Varmint rifle. I mistakenly thought they were for the Springfield. Ended up buying myself a Varmint rifle anyway, it's only $75.

9. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    So do you need to donate pelts to craft?

What I mean by that is, can I say donate the legendary bear pelt and craft a hat when I go back say a week later? Or will it be gone at that stage?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  10. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think they stay there.

11. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    Went looking for a fishing rod and saw a guy fishing went down to chat and accidently shot him in the river.jumped in to get the rod and ended up down a waterfall.bottom of it was a kayak then ended up white water rafting all the way down the waterfalls .wow

Mr. Fawlty, PeeKay and Avatar Daizen like this.
  12. paulo123

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Just spent best part of an hour playing poker, down to the last guy and the * bet me so naturally killed him after it and robbed him.

13. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Might just be me but anyone struggled with the controls? I find myself accidently hip fire shooting because sometimes aim weapon is the R2 and most other times L2.

Also does the dead eye/slow motion always auto assign shots for you? I'd rather a max Payne slow mo and I shoot when I want.

Feel like there's so much going on and thrown at you Haha.

Game is stunning looking and detail unbelievable.

14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

After you level it up a bit, it lets you select your targets.

Artorias likes this.
  15. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Took me ages to figure out, but carry it to the edge of your main camp until you see the X/drop option pop up, then just drop it on the ground and you'll see a message about items being dropped in camp being stored in a convenient location. It will then be marked out on the map.

bhoy_wonder and Avatar Daizen like this.
  16. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Just a further note on the bear pelt situation. It actually disappears from the edge of camp if you go away, but I've just checked at the Trapper and it shows up in his stock for crafting the bear suit. So happy days.

Now just have to find myself a perfect Bison pelt and a perfect Bull hide.

17. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Was doing some bounty hunting, tracked down the ‘black widow.’ Was expecting an easy capture when her gentleman friend bottled it and told her to go with me. But suddenly she slapped him in the face and came after me with a knife. I hopped down from my horse and got flustered trying to equip my lassoo, I eventually had to resort to a swift blow to stop her from plunging a knife into me. This seemed to knock her out, and I got the pop-up telling me to hogtie her. Easy enough, I thought, with her lying unconscious on the ground. Had a couple of goes with the lassoo but it didn’t seem to work. On the third attempt, I’m not sure why, but I somehow launched a head-stomping attack rather than throwing the lassoo. Perhaps got too close.

Needless to say the blow was lethal, thankfully there’s a handy checkpoint right beforehand.

The honour/dishonour system is weird in that you can rob an old lady’s shack, return later and kill her and her four sons when they confront you about the prior robbery, dispose of all five bodies in the chicken coup and not get any hits to your honour. Decide to take out your revolver and shoot a couple of their chickens to break up the tedium of the disposal process, however, and the little red dishonour icon pops up.

Rockstar value chickens ahead of people.

Just figured out that you have to use dynamite to get into locked safes. Came across a couple of gentleman trying to hack their way into one with some sort of instrument (I presume a pickaxe, but it was dark) while out riding. Didn’t appreciate their tone when they confronted me so I killed both with my newly-acquired repeating shotgun (from the aforementioned shack robbery). Consulted Miss Google and hey presto, found out you could get in with a stick of dynamite. Netted $40 for my efforts.

18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Think about it though, when you killed the chickens, someone knew about it - so your honour within the community dropped a little.

When you killed the 5 of them and disposed of them, who eventually knew about it? No one. So your honour rating wouldn't change.

19. ourdaywillcome! Gold Member Gold Member

Is it a continuous story from the first one?

20. Mr. Fawlty

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    I killed the chickens whilst disposing of the bodies, nobody was around to see either.