1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rebellion

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by CheGuevara, Apr 20, 2016.

Discuss Rebellion in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    A Netflix original series about the 1916 uprising. I'm a few episodes in and it's been pretty good so far.

Anyone else watching it?

2. odonno

Got two episodes left, its worth a watch

3. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Is this different from the RTE one?

4. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    [​IMG]

If its this one then I was very disappointed with it. Typical RTE fayre/*

5. dowdalshillcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    I hated it, painted the rebels as religious loons, and the brits to be sympathetic rulers, utter revisionist garbage

Gabriel and The IRA like this.
  6. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    I didnt watch it when it was on i had a feeling itd be *, and to be honest the fact they just cast all the same people from lovehate put me off, can't * take them seriously when youve seen them in the other stuff, should of gave it to more unknown actors

7. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was it that bad? I really enjoyed it, 5 episodes, perfect for a binge. Didn't feel that the characters were loons at all. Definitely didn't get the feeling the Brits were sympathetic.

I liked the female character, mostly because I Imagine there will have been a lot of unsung heroines during that time as well as many of both sexes who gave everything for the cause who we'll never know the names of.

Anyway, for those who did like it the good news is there's a second season on Netflix now.

I'm going to save an evening for that. If it is flawed I think it at least makes up for it in being well made.

@CASTLE Ah right I understand it could damage character authenticity, I was lucky in that regard as I only recognised the blonde hair guy, I'm sure the rest were new to me.

8. dowdalshillcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    Only watched the first 2 episodes.

9. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I'm going to guess that you know more about the situation over there, I'm thinking you actually live in Ireland but forgive me if I'm wrong.

Anyway if you do know a lot of detail about that moment in Irish history it's going to take a pretty high brow production with unknown actors to add authenticity as you say.

I've read a lot about the story of the North since I was 12 but honestly it's mental how fast my memory is forgetting the whole build up to it and the subtitles that made it finally explode, on the wrong side which was a terrible irony. I know this show isn't about that but I hope you get the just, I know what happened but keep forgetting key details.

You maybe should give the 3rd episode a try if it's available, the way they handle the timeline might let you forgive the lesser production qualities that put you off.

Dunno why I'm trying to get you to watch it, you already know more that the show portrays.

I'm sure @StPauli1916 liked it, just drag him into the discussion unannounced, although he might not have seen it at all, might be just the name.

Just for my interest, have you ever seen a well produced and realistic dramatisation of what happened in 1916, or any other important moments in the evolution of the different groups who I think mostly ended up agreeing Sinn Fein was inclusive which was the most common sense approach as a disunited rebellion misses so much synergy and also makes them easy picking in battle, divide and rule and all that.

The movie 1970 left me a little confused. I was left wondering what the message was, I'm sure it was more based on the natural human desire to care for those in trouble and how that could lead to difficult situations but again, probably deeper messages I missed.

Kinda getting the feeling this has gone way far from TV Forum and should be get shredded by the intellects in the HP&R. I think this Hard Border situation has convinced me that a Nation Once Again is actually quite possible in the next 10 - 20 years. Then again I said Brendan would give us at least a years notice because I know so much about the Empire state of mind and how it affects the occupied. * sake, I've not even had a drink for a week, can't help feeling a glass of wine would be a muse.

I've always wondered, you know how they say the British mistake was ruthlessly condemning the prime movers in the Easter Rising, do you think that's true? Would the rebellious groups have become irrevocably shattered and easily quashed?

It's a hypothetical question I've always thought seemed too simple, to have so many different factions with the same goal in mind, surely wouldn't have been beyond reason for them to unite in some manner. Plus if they didn't slaughter the man in the GPO then they were the intellectuals who would surely have managed to organise another way to destroy any sense of Empire?

The say that was the major disaster by the Brits, killing all the men behind the uprising but I can't help thinking there were so many different things an unwanted invader does to the contentedness of a nation of people I think the reason they shot them was because they knew they were very powerful not just intellectually but also had unflinching confidence from the majority of the rebels?

Again, I could be wrong but I just find it strange they murdered them in cold blood just because it was the Empirical style of thing to do as anyone not British was generally regarded as a savage. Yet even though that was Churchill's view and many of his contemporaries, we can judge the intellect of most folk after just 5 minutes talking to them over a cup of tea. Clever people just have signals flying all over their body language so it's impossible not to be humbled by such men and women. My point being is there any other differing opinions on why the Britis made such a stilly mistake, silly in the sense of 'without any consideration a conflict like that would deserve. Maybe they were just inculcated to the extreme they really did regard the Irish as savages who would soon learn the superiority of the English and cow tow to them.
    That must be the longest post relating to a suggestion that maybe you could give it a wee chance and watch another couple hours of TV :rofl:

Definitely have to suggest to Celtic Mad about getting some accounts limited like Twitter to 240 characters. Could start a black market trade cause McGuire uses about 4 words to make a point, I'd be struggling, not as much as someone trying to fathom it mind.

Why is there a Netherlands flag in the smilies now? Last time I seen Ajax at Celtic Park it definitely wasn't an exchange of flags atmosphere. Was just big Virgil the human flag dominating everything.

Michels definitely 'adapted' Total Football from Jock, he was at the final! Ajax and then Barca became very special teams using that system. All the best teams apart from Madrid I think used home grown players which is fascinating. Well then Milan had at least 3 Dutch players. * pundit said that? Probably only those three teams and he saying it was most of them. Even Henke's Barca 2006 team was gathered from far and wide. Anyway I have completely forgotten * this post is about but I'll press send then delete if it's in the wrong forum. What's this smiley Tie? Definitely have to suggest to Celtic Mad about getting some accounts limited like Twitter to 240 characters. Could start a black market trade cause McGuire uses about 4 words to make a point, I'd be struggling, not as much as someone trying to fathom it mind.
    :lenny1: Love Lenny's 10iar display, like counting them out and saying we can't hear you at the same time. Can't wait for that. This post was finished when I mentioned StPauli, how the * did it end up in another server? This looks like Andy Walker when we score? :s:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  10. JordyBhoy Árd rí Éireann

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Watched the first series and thought it was ok, not outstanding, but watchable. Was going to give the second series a look tonight or tomorrow.

11. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Naw. Never seen it Swerve.

12. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    One more than me

13. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Oh sorry mate, thought I mentioned it to you.

Dunno whether to advise you to see it now considering your knowledge it pretty good. It's not end of the world bad though so worth a wee gander if you've got Netflixx.

@Gabriel Oh ffs maybe it is end of the world bad, sorry :56:

Gabriel and StPauli1916 like this.
  14. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Enjoyed the second series more than the first.Well worth a watch if you're at all interested in the history of the era or Irish history in general.

15. Gully Sands

Fav Celtic Song:
    SAM song
    Much better than the first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. dowdalshillcelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic symphony
    The most realistic thing about that period of history in my opinion would probably the "Wind That Shakes the Barley" I would also recommend The Plough And The Stars and "shakehands with the devil", both black and white. Michael Collins is realistic in terms of some of the violence but historically not so much.

Gully Sands likes this.