1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

RB Leipzig v Celtic, UEFA Europa League, Thurs 25 Oct 17:55, BT Sport 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JML67, Oct 20, 2018.

Discuss RB Leipzig v Celtic, UEFA Europa League, Thurs 25 Oct 17:55, BT Sport 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    I was right roll yer wee eyes all ye want.

2. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

In individual games? Or over the course of a season?

If course I'd take that scenario but you've completely glossed over my point that the League Cup is more important than just the trophy itself. The confidence it brings is normally a big factor in helping us see out the season well and win the league.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  3. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    It's always a case of win your home games in group stage football CL/Europa anything on your travels is a bonus.
    Well we have only played 1 at home and won.

MartinoBianco likes this.
  4. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Starting to think we are a slightly below average European team now.

5. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Naw. You weren't right. Ya *.

6. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    Wait you just started thinking that? I think you are several years behind the rest of us

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  7. Lancashire Nick

Fav Celtic Player:
    Bobby Lennox
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry
    Another example of how the first choice XI is okay, but we lack squad depth.

I now see why BR keeps picking Lustig at right back.

The 2 centre backs are always likely to make a mistake.

Without Brown the midfield is ineffective, and easily dominated.

McGregoris a fine player, but was being played out of position.

Christie, Morgan and Eddie aren't the finished article; and it's probably unfair to play all 3 of them together at this level.

The League Cup on Saturday is now a vital game, to restore confidence and ensure that it's business as usual on the domestic front.

8. celticfan01

Fav Celtic Player:
    Emilio Izaguirre
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    I don't, if you really expected Gamboa or Eboue Kouassi to be performing well at this level when they can't even get game time in the spfl then what chance have they got in Europe? If both had a run of games in league who knows what potential they have. Rodgers throws them in the deep end once again and surprise surprise it didn't work again. What chance do these fringe players have of holding a place down in the squad when the manager is always going to revert back to certain players no matter the performance they put it. I mean Mulumbu was our motm when we lost to Kilmarnock yet gets dropped the week after, gamboa lively in both games against Rosenborg then follows up with 2 assists in the cup, made 1 mistake against Suduva (which was just as much Gordons fault) and he is dropped just like that while Lustig makes mistakes that leads to goals week in week out yet is always starting.

By half time the game was done and dusted and they went down a gear and played the game at a tempo where they felt comfortable which made us look more solid at the back than we actually were. A 2-0 defeat is decent considering the injuries and any celtic fan who is realistic in what we can achieve with this team/management knows it. 3 massive games coming up, 5 points has to be a bare minimum- Looking like the Leipzig game is going to sell out by next week so that's something positive

MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  9. MartinoBianco

4 goalkeepers

No centre halves of extreme quality (or non injury / mistake prone)

14 mldfielders

Two strikers

I think it’s time to freshen up the management.
    5 points minimum from next three games or I’ll be on here singing Celts for change

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Aye I wis, we were a weakened side because we've got a poor squad that's the board's fault that we have to replace first team players when injured with donkeys like Eboue. It's uber fans like you that keep this pishy board in place.

Pacific Ocean Blue likes this.
  11. shieldsybhoy

Lol when have we not been?

I don't think we should be expected to beat the 5th best German team away from home. RB Leipzig have more money than we do and therefore are better at football in the most generic of terms than us. Simples. We should not be beating this team in their own back yard.

We can try, but in general terms, if 11 players are paid more money then the 11 players they are playing against, they should be beating them every single time. Especially at home.

I live and work in London and sit next to two Liverpool fans (who are both from London obviously) and they say 'Celtic are *' etc etc. Well, yes, how good you are at football is completely determined by how much money you have. 100%. So yes, we should be *, we have no money.

We can not expect to beat most teams we come up against in Europe (post qualifiers) as we do not have as big a bank balance as them. Some Celtic fans need to get their head around this.

12. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

does anyone understand how rodgers picks his teams or how he sees our pathetic performances in europe as something other than absolutely * ?

players that arent trusted or favoured thrown in once in a blue moon and then slaughtered and sidelined until the next time they can be used as the expendables in a game where the manager has already conceded and thrown the towel in

its not that we expected to beat them its that we can barely beat or outplay any * away from home in europe and 99% of the time are made to look like rank amateurs!

our squad didn't cost fuckall, there are some expensive and quality players in there and i like to think if we have signed a player then they must be good and celtic class or why bother signing them in the first place ? as it would be a waste of time & money

13. shieldsybhoy

Agreed, but other teams that we face in Europe have players that cost more money than our players and are therefore inherently just 'better'.

It's the same reason why we have won the league every year.

14. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony

Over the course of the season

15. MagicBallBhoy Gold Member Gold Member

i wonder how our celtic team would do in the german bundesliga or austrian bundesliga over a season

are we good enough to win the austrian league ? could we consistently perform at the higher standard

we are poor in europe all the time because the players can't get to that standard and maintain it, even at a basic mid european level, its got to be because we aren't being tested at a high enough standard domestically week in week out and the only real way to fix that is to get into a stronger league or make our league stronger through merging smaller clubs into regional clubs, that seems as if it will never happen though

16. TIART Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wee Callum
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Happily proved wrong, however a fair bit has changed since that initial comment, we look to have found something with this group again. Minus the power of Dembele, the engine of Armstrong and the game changing skill of Roberts, even the clinical finishing and set pieces of Griff, we've dug in and found some fluid play and solid defensive shape.

Hail! Hail!

JML67 likes this.