1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rating the Signings

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr Diggler, Dec 22, 2016.

Discuss Rating the Signings in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Diggler

So we are nearly half way through the season and I thought with the January transfer window coming up soon it might be a good time to rate Rodgers signings and his overall action within the transfer market. Has he got value for money and will he again next month.

Moussa Dembele- Started the season as 2nd choice but when given his opportunity boy did he take it. Very highly rated and for a 500,000 pound fee probably one of the biggest steals since Larsson. Will certainly go for big money eventually- probably shattering the Scottish record fee as well. For all the positives like the Champions league campaign were he got 3 goals, no goals in 6 matches and none from open play since October shows that inconsistency in his game.

Rating- 9/10

Scott Sinclair- Biggest signing of the Summer at 4 odd million and to be honest he has lived up to the price tag and some. The best player in the team and in Scotland for me. Has pace, intelligence, a goal threat and works hard. Rodgers clearly knows how to get the best out of him and hopefully he continues to be the star man for us and a move back to England will hold no appeal. Only negative for me, no goals in Europe.

Rating- 9.5/10

Kolo Toure- Signed on a free and despite a horror show against Gladbach he was very solid in the other games he played. Brought in for his experience and to be fair the last 20 minutes against Hapoel he came into his own and helped get us over the line. However probably on a decent wage and not now a regular so value for money wise im not so sure.

Rating- 7/10

Dorus De Vries- Looked to be signed to replace Craig Gordon and had the shirt for a few games. Did nothing to impress me at all in those games but I suppose Gordons game has improved massively so the competition has had its positives. Don't think he will make it here and don't particularly rate him.

Rating 5.5/10

Cristian Gamboa- Signed as a back up for Lustig and to be fair is a big improvement on Saidy Janko. However not really filled me with confidence and despite his pace he looks suspect defensively. More than good enough for the SPL but wouldn't fancy relying on him in Europe. Hasn't done anything to wrong though so not been a bad signing really.

Rating 6/10

Looking forward to the transfer window next month now and im sure Rodgers will be given funds to get his targets in. He has got decent value for money overall in my opinion.

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Toure a 7 is accurate but the fact he was one of the biggest reasons we got into the Champions League and £30m quid, it's a flawless signing.

ScouseHoops and Xatraps like this.
  3. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

5.5 is very generous for De Vries.

Bumblebee likes this.
  4. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

His was out of 20.

Bumblebee, Peej, CalgaryBhoy and 4 others like this.
  5. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Moussa - 9/10
    Sinclair - 9/10
    Toure - 9/10
    DDV - 3/10
    Gamboa - 6/10

To date. Too easy to slap a lower number on Toure, he has been a fantastic signing and a key component to Champions League participation and what Rodgers is trying to do with us.

6. CodyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Ninetoes Finder
    De Vries- 4/10 not what I had hoped he would be, still early in his Celtic career but I'm not sure if he will be given another chance in the first team and probably shouldn't.

Gamboa- 6/10, been a bit hit and miss but I wouldn't right him off yet. With a run in the team he could prove to be a very good signing.

Toure- 7/10, started very well and was a large factor in Celtic making the champions league, last 2 games he wasn't as good but I think he will still have a good part to play this season. I also think he will be helping the other centre backs and younger players off the park.

Sinclair- 9/10 , sensational pretty much every game he has played, is a game changer and creates so much. Hopefully he keeps it going for the rest of his Celtic career.

Dembele- 8/10 , started very well, form has dipped slightly but even when he isn't playing well he offers a target up front and creates chances and space for players beside him.

Overall very happy with the signings, hopefully we sign a defensive midfielder and ship out some dead wood.

7. DJ CJ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Wanyama
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Toure is a weird one because I don't think we'd be in the cl without him but at the same time I think we wouldn't have lost against gladbach and might have gotten to the europa league. Although having someone with as much experience as him must be good for the young lads training with him

8. Mr Diggler

On his performances he is about a 4 but I gave a 5.5 because Gordons game has improved massively with the competition so in that respect he hasn't been a bad signing.

9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Dembele 9
    Started off ropey but his confidence never wavered. We, or we've certainly reaped the rewards and he's arguably THEE hottest young striker in Europe, and much talked about. Hit another sticky spell but we were warned from his old Fulham boss to expect this. Still a touch raw at time's but what a player, has it all. Strength, pace, goals, touch is sometimes sublime and confidence off the charts under pressure..

Sinclair 9.5
    A player many of our own were critical of signing before, not me. Has absolutely smashed it up here and looks every bit the level above attacker I thought he would be. Equaled scoring record's in consecutive game's from coming on as a sub at Tynecastle, and has given us a whole new dimension. Direct, pace, comes in as a 9 at time's and scores and creates goals, and space for others..

Toure 8
    I'm not going lower simply because of his performances in the qualifiers. A leader at the back, fast as * still, bringing the ball out on his own and making thing's happen. A rock when we needed it. Got injured and hasn't come back right after some horror mistakes at home to Gladbach, but still, he did exactly what Brendan hoped he would early on. Was very very good domestically pre injury also..

Gamboa 6
    An improvement on the deputy we just had, and is starting to show some quality. Tenacious in the tackle, bombs forward, lightening quick and has been decent so far. More to come I think..

De Vries 1
    Shocking since he came in. Could barely save a shot, and most of the one's he did get a touch too, were being helped in to the net. Doesn't come off his line, doesn't command his box or breed any confidence.... And his kicking has been pretty pish as well. Hope he never play's again, and doubt he will..

10. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Doris was a smart move though it was win win, cheap and Rodgers managed him before. He would either step up and be our no.1 keeper or push Gordon to improve his game which he needed and got.

Dembele- 10
    He will be one of the best strikers we've had since Larsson, maybe not to his level but he certainly has the ability and now is just down to improving his overall game and finding consistency. The striker we've been crying out for for years.
    Sinclair - 10
    The type of winger we've lacked for years as well, quality at the highest level and already his record of goals and assists with us is a great return. We've got him in his peak years as well.
    Toure - 9
    He added that quality and strong leadership at the back when we needed it most, I've no doubt our improvement at the back has been hugely down to this man on and off the field. Helping out Jozo and Erik, his experience has been key in gelling our backline together this year. Unfortunately injury has hampered him here recently but no doubt he's a big figure in the dressing for us.

Gamboa- 6.5
    We will see a lot more of him now I think, slowly improving as his confidence gets up. Was a hellish debut for him and was literally thrown in the deep end which wrecked his confidence. I have plenty faith he will turn out to be a great attacking right back for us and improving every game defensively.

11. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It says a lot for Rodgers' managerial ability that it feels like we've had far more than 5 new signings making an impact.

ScouseHoops and Xatraps like this.
  12. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

De Vries - 4

He made Gordon up his game so he hasn't been a waste of money by any means.

Gamboa - 6

Not had too much game time until recently. He has the potential to do really well here. His pace is a huge asset domestically at least.

Toure - 8

Got us to the CL and put in an incredible performance against Man City at Celtic Park. Saved us from losing.

Sinclair - 9

The best player in the league and top scorer in the league. When he's unavailable, he's missed more than any of the others mentioned.

Dembele - 9

He's been poor for a month or so now but he has 17 goals already, I'm sure. With 3 in a very tough CL group. Fantastic signing.

Xatraps likes this.
  13. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Dembele should be a 10 considering we'll get 20+ times what we spent on him.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He's a 9 on the Henrik Larsson scale of signings.

15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That's an awfully high mark up surely? I know we arent actually comparing his ability to the king, but still.

16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Forrest gets a 9+ for me. How far has Shooders climbed the ladder from last year. Wee mans head is up.
    Think no one deserves marks below 6/7 because the squad as a whole have complimented each other so much so, when one doesn't play they all don't play. Otherwise a brilliant season, and watching good football makes a difference.

17. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

What I'm getting at is if your ceiling is Henrik, Dembele can't be a 10!

Peej likes this.
  18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Poor PJ Crossan, always forgotten! :56:

Markybhoy likes this.
  19. Markybhoy

Dembele - 9/10
    Sinclair - 9/10
    Toure - 7/10
    Gamboa - 5/10
    de Vries - 2/10

Scott Sinclair has been my favourite signing. He really adds something extra when he plays. Gamboa could end up being better than a 5 as I'm starting to see small signs from him(nice crosser) but I can't give him any more than a 5 based on what he's shown so far.

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye and he'll improve without question, here, so can't be a 10 just now..