1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Raheem Sterling - On The Verge Of Fucking Shit Up In A Big Way?

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Dáibhí, Apr 15, 2015.

Discuss Raheem Sterling - On The Verge Of Fucking Shit Up In A Big Way? in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Dáibhí

The lad's only 20 years old and already it looks as though he's been reading the Islam Feruz handbook of how to be a professional footballer.

Two arrests and trials for assaulting a female (one case dropped for lack of witnesses showing up for court, the other found him not guilty), and now all of this nonsense with a shisha pipe and nitrous oxide.

Not to mention his interview that went horribly wrong when he told everyone that he'd knocked back £100,000 per week. The fans were booing him at the recent new kit launch.

I have a feeling that Liverpool would do well to accept the big money being touted for Sterling, especially if Manchester city continue slipping up and become desperate in the summer for "big names" to make up for it.

I honestly don't think he's going to settle at a club like Liverpool, and will prove more problematic than Suarez ever did for them.

So what do you think? Cash in on him for big money? Or keep him and hope he straightens out?

2. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Hes not really done anything that bad, dont know about the shisha pipe and nitrous oxide but not as if he was caught taking coke and the two assault charges could have been anything, like people trying to get money off a footballer for a wee bust up.

Knocking the money back he might want to go to a team who'll win trophies like Chelsea or Man City.

3. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I dont know much about the assault charges but the shisha and nitrous oxide is a nothing story.

4. murphy88

If they got offered big money, I would snap the hand off whoever is stupid enough to bid big bucks. Mainly because he isn't that good in my opinion, and is vastly overrated.

5. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

People are now just jumping on the bandwagon a wee bit. These kind of things are the pitfalls of being 'the next big thing'. Wayne Rooney was in the headlines a couple of times during his 'Boy Wonder' years.

The English press seem to love to build people up with unrealistic expectations, and turn on them the moment said expectations are not fulfilled.

I think he's got a manager who cares about him and, whether it is about money or not, playing for Liverpool will be good for his development. If he really wants to win trophies, then he should get his head down, work hard at Liverpool and earn his move.

6. Just Kieran Gold Member Gold Member

Of course he is, that's just what England does to young players. How many of them fulfill the expectations thrust upon them?

He is a good player, but the stuff about him spitting the dummy out when asked to play in that wing-back role is pretty petulant, if true. He's clever, quick, creative and works hard to close people down. If he can start finishing the chances he makes/gets, he'll be very valuable.

7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Appears to be being poorly advised but that aside I think he is a quality player with the potential to be even better.

Fewer better sites in football than watching a player like him with lightning dribbling pace.

8. murphy88

Aye, it's nothing new, we all know that. His end product is his biggest let down. That could change over time of course, but right now, he isn't worth 100k p/w, nowhere near it in fact.

9. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I know he is slightly overrated but he is only 20 still got years to develop and get better, and at 20 and one of liverpools best players hes obviously got bags of talent.

10. Dáibhí

I think he can have all the skill in the world, but if he's already started veering down a path where he's being photographed getting up to no good (and true, it's not coke, but it's not exactly the kind of behaviour you want from someone in his position), and is being advised by people that ideas such as his recent interview are a good idea then it's not going to end well.

I think the talk of trophies and suchlike should be a warning sign to Liverpool. It's basically code talk for wanting a move to the likes of City or Chelsea in my opinion.

If City do come in with a huge offer I'd take it.

11. Raoul Duke

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think they should sell him aswell, if he wants to leave for money or trophies thats completely fine although the shisha etc. he shouldnt be doing but you could give the scott brown arguement of hes under pressure etc.

12. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I don't think he's as good as made out, has some very good qualities but passing, finishing etc... still a * of a lot to work on. His technique is lacking.

At 20 he has all the time in the world to work on his game. Doesn't seem to be focusing on that though.

13. Cofi#12-CFC1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown, Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic symphony
    There's a possibility that they could exchange him for Walcott and get additional 20 mil.

They (Liverpool) are afraid of losing another good, potentially great player, and slipping into PL's mediocrity. I believe that's the reason behind their pathetic attempts to make him stay. If they could still attract players like Torres or Suarez, they would show Sterling the door without hesitation.

I'm not sure if he wants to stay at Liverpool. As for his off field antics, I would keep him as long as he's 100% fit, give his 100% on every training/match, and don't disturb squads harmony. If his antics begin to affect his football, good bye.

14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

No you're right, there's a list of Clubs willing to spend much more.

Bit like the England Captain, he's doing OK.

15. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Who?

16. murphy88

What clubs would that be? I must have missed all the teams bidding for him.

17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Real said they're keeping an eye on him, Arsenal, City and Chelsea have all been linked with City apparently going up to £50m for him.

18. murphy88

Linked, keeping an eye on etc etc. Has any team put in a concrete bid and come out and openly said they would be willing to pay him over 100k p/w? That is the claim being made.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    They generally don't when the transfer window isn't open yet, the moves are starting to be made though.

Do you genuinely think in this day and age, with Martin Odegaard getting £80k a week for Reals reserves, that nobody would go above £100k a week for Sterling?

20. Intellectually Absurd Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson (obvious choice ehh?)
    Links mean nothing, I'l believe it when I see it. Anyone who actually believes Madrid would buy him when they can barely accommodate guys like Jese and Illarramendi are mad.

I can believe City, not sure about Arsenal but we'l see. Reason i am dubious about Arsenal is that they won't pay him over £100k.