1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Rab Douglas

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Marty McFly, Aug 17, 2015.

Discuss Rab Douglas in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    * aye !! , I'm going too far back .

2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Petrov was anonymous too..

3. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    If John hartson wasn't injured and lubo hadn't retired year before we would have won the game hartson would have been a great sub to have in the match gutting just thinking about it wee europa run to semi or final might do us wee bit of justice year after Seville we should have dispatched of villa real and made the final again .... celtic history is rich with winning but also rich with glorious failures aswell Seville .rapid Vienna fiasco 1970 cup final against feyernoord if we had won those games how much bigger would our club be seen on a European stage

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

There's a fair sprinkling of acceptance in Rab Douglas' voice as he dissects his career; one littered with success and crushing lows. These extremes have been mirrored in Douglas's off-field life, too.

"Make a mistake, it's a goal, there's no hiding place." It's a quote that seems to encapsulate more than just his life as a goalkeeper.

In an interview to be aired on Sportsound on BBC Radio Scotland on Thursday, the former Scotland international lays bare his colourful story.

Where to start? The present seems natural.

Earlier this year, the 45-year-old was declared bankrupt, the result of his involvement in a film production scheme that attracted a number of investors from football.

'It's one of the worst feelings in the world'
    "Same as a lot of the other footballers, the film partnership turned into a disaster," said Douglas.

"You look at the number of professional players that have [gone] bankrupt. The only people that won out of it [were] the financial advisers. It's been bad advice. You look how many have been sucked into it.

"It's one of the worst feelings in the world when you're sleeping three hours a night worrying about things like that, it's not easy.

"You had to pay it back over so many years. At one point the government OK'd it, then it went from tax deferral to tax avoidance. I paid a big lump back, over six figures. It's scary."

The experience left Douglas in a dark place.

"Depression, scary, lonely," is how he describes it. "I'm coming out the other end now. I still appreciate my life; I've had a great career."

His achievements back that up. Three league titles and three Scottish Cups won with Celtic.

He earned clean sheets away to Blackburn and Liverpool as Celtic reached the 2003 Uefa Cup final in Seville, only to lose 3-2 in extra-time to Porto. Douglas accepts some of the criticism that has come his way for that result.

'It's easy to blame the goalie'
    "I'd probably take a bit of criticism for one of them, but we got there as a team," he said.

"On the night we never all turned up as a team. I seem to be one of the very few that is getting criticism regarding it.

"It's easy to blame the goalie. Nobody was complaining when we were getting clean sheets at Anfield or Blackburn away and I'm making saves. That's the nature of being the goalkeeper."

Dundee holds a special place in Douglas's heart. He had two successful spells there and points to the squad avoiding relegation despite a 25-point deduction after going into administration, as one of his proudest achievements.

His time there ended sourly, though, when John Brown took over as manager and Douglas was quickly shown the door.

"I gave my everything for Dundee," he said. "I loved it up there, probably the football club I felt comfiest [at].

"He [Brown] signed Steve Simonsen. He phoned me to say, 'just to mark your card'. I went in the next day to training, we had words. He told me to get my stuff and get to.

"I thought I at least deserved the courtesy of him pulling me in face to face and explaining.

"There's only one winner as a manager and he won. It's there for a book and there's a bit more to it. He had his say, so I'll have mine soon."

The conversation was recorded by Douglas, as his PFA representative wasn't there. The tape is with an agent and a journalist, and Douglas is adamant he'll reveal its contents when he finally retires. He says it will be "slightly embarrassing" for Brown.

At the time, Brown was quoted urging other clubs not to sign Douglas, as he was "a disrespectful liar".

"Twenty-odd years and I'm still involved in playing; not bad for a disrespectful liar," says Douglas.

There's so much more to Douglas's story. He was attacked on the pitch by fans during a Forfar-Airdrie match. There was an approach from Rangers just prior to signing for rivals Celtic.

He missed the birth of his daughter after being promised he'd feature for Scotland but remained on the bench, although that didn't diminish his pride at playing for his country.

So many highs coupled with a number of lows. Ultimately, Douglas seems satisfied. "For a wee boy from Lanark, I've done okay," he says. "Others will say different."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42345062

Gyp Rosetti and Marty McFly like this.
  5. Marty McFly Whoa, this is heavy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thinking about starting a Big Rab CSC

Srs

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    There was an approach from Rangers just prior to signing for rival's Celtic..

Fucksake.....

7. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Surely this recording Rab has isn’t of the sectarian nature, just saying. :87:

Artorias and McChiellini.. like this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

9. Mr. Slippyfist

What's that about?

Big Rab wasn't my favourite player by any stretch, but always came across as a right decent * - met him a few times at CP when I was a young fella up all the time for signatures - always very accomodating and approachable.

Hopefully Brown's called him a dirty * * or something, will be great to hear the mutants in the needja attempt to defend him...

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Rab left Dundee after a bust up with Brown.

Bomber spoke about it RD says he will speak about it soon.

11. Mr. Slippyfist

Clyde 1?

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

BBC.

13. Mr. Slippyfist

Good man.

Will give it a listen.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Should be good always liked Rab.

15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Remember watching him warming up in Seville and nothing was sticking to him and was like that's not a good sign, looked very nervous..

In saying that he wasn't the only one, Stan was totally anonymous that night..

Anyway he was a decent big guy and he played his part in getting us to Seville in the first place.

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    :56:

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Got some stick from fans but made some top saves

StPauli1916 and Aidan O’Shea like this.
  20. Momo Sylla

Never doubted his shot stopping but every time a cross went I thought I was going to have a heart attack. I was around 10 :lol:

Aidan O’Shea likes this.