1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

[Draft] Qtr Final - Mr Monaghan v GavCFC1

Discussion in 'Competition Corner' started by Callum McGregor, Jun 18, 2017.

Discuss Qtr Final - Mr Monaghan v GavCFC1 in the Competition Corner area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone

Votes from non-draft participants won't be counted, so don't bother.

READ THIS FIRST:

Once your team is ready, post your line up in here and any tactics you'd employ in this match. Once both teams are up, I'll put up the poll.

You can vote for yourself (votes for your own team should eliminate each other out) or you can vote against yourself to end your misery quicker. Up to you.

Finally, rather than just voting, it would be good if people could justify why they think a particular team would win. :50:

2. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    [​IMG]

Subs:

Zito
    Just Fontaine
    Hugo Sanchez

Gav's team is excellent with some top players, but here's why I've got him. Important to have a wee squatch at this because there is a slight change of tactic..

Defence: Mines is instantly better. I don't think there is a better CB combo in the whole competition than what I have. The greatest CB of the modern era in Nesta and an absolute warhorse in Desailly. Oliver Kahn would have the * dribbling down Di Stefano's kegs. Carlos Alberto is comfortably better than Zambrotta. He admittedly has me at LB, but that is it. Even Casillas and Kahn is a toss up, there definitely isn't enough between the two for it to make a massive difference, anyway.

Midfield: That is, if they even manage to get past Makelele in the midfield. A man who has even had a position on the park named after him, he was that good. He is supported by Zibi Boniek who, in his prime, was on a par with any midfielder on the planet in the late 70's and early 80's. You then have Francesco Totti, without doubt an underrated genius. He not only has playmaking abilities in that role but with well over 250 career goals, adds even more goals to the side.

Attack: Slight change of tactic here. I've taken out both Sanchez and Fontaine in order to bring in my new man, Eusebio. He is playing in his most natural position here and the Portuguese due of him and Ronaldo is the best partnership in this competition, in terms of the forward line. He takes me up another level.

Then in Mazzolla, you have one of the greatest Italian footballers of all time. He was used as an inside right by Herrera at Inter for a large spell so is more than used to the role he'd play here. Known for his pace, stamina and dribbling ability, the role I have him in here takes my attack up once again, meaning it is much more balanced and rounded, rather than shoehorning Fontaine in, like @Dear Hunter mentioned previously.

Bench: I think even my bench is pretty strong. Defensive cover and a 2-time world cup winner in Zito who would probably start ahead of McStay in Gav's team (if he is playing him, yet to see). Then Fontaine and Sanchez add even more attacking options to an already deadly attack.

Overall, I think I have too much. Di Stefano and Platini is a deadly combo but I think Eusebio and Ronaldo has a lot more goals in it as a partnership, with Mazzolla and Totti supplying more goals than the likes of Beckham. There's a lot more flexibility in my attack I feel, with the potential for interchanging, Totti could swap with Mazzolla for example as both were comfy in each other's positions, dragging Gav's defence everywhere.

Also have over 700 career goals on my bench alone. Defensively I surely have this one too.

4. GavCFC1

I'll post my team once I find the keys for the bus

Twisty and Mr Shelby like this.
  5. GavCFC1

Was gonna go on a big post about why my team would win etc, but I'd probably vote for Monaghan too

Attached Files:

Mr Shelby likes this.
  6. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    :56:It's not that much of a gap mate, I've obviously went for it in my post to big my side up but you do have some class acts.

8. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Poll when yer ready @Minty

9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Need to upload the full file mate..

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Done

Mr Shelby likes this.
  11. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Closer than I was originally thinking. Neymar, Di Stefano and Platini is some trio, along with Beckham on the right who offers a deadly delivery and weapon from set pieces.

I think the midfield is even enough, but Monaghans defence is better and an attack containing Ronaldo and Eusebio would be lethal as well. I've gone for Monaghan.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I think Gav's midfield is better but Monaghan has the edge in attack and defence.

13. Keano88

[​IMG]

Subs:

Zito
    Just Fontaine
    Hugo Sanchez

Gav's team is excellent with some top players, but here's why I've got him. Important to have a wee squatch at this because there is a slight change of tactic..

Defence: Mines is instantly better. I don't think there is a better CB combo in the whole competition than what I have. The greatest CB of the modern era in Nesta and an absolute warhorse in Desailly. Oliver Kahn would have the * dribbling down Di Stefano's kegs. Carlos Alberto is comfortably better than Zambrotta. He admittedly has me at LB, but that is it. Even Casillas and Kahn is a toss up, there definitely isn't enough between the two for it to make a massive difference, anyway.

Midfield: That is, if they even manage to get past Makelele in the midfield. A man who has even had a position on the park named after him, he was that good. He is supported by Zibi Boniek who, in his prime, was on a par with any midfielder on the planet in the late 70's and early 80's. You then have Francesco Totti, without doubt an underrated genius. He not only has playmaking abilities in that role but with well over 250 career goals, adds even more goals to the side.

Attack: Slight change of tactic here. I've taken out both Sanchez and Fontaine in order to bring in my new man, Eusebio. He is playing in his most natural position here and the Portuguese due of him and Ronaldo is the best partnership in this competition, in terms of the forward line. He takes me up another level.

Then in Mazzolla, you have one of the greatest Italian footballers of all time. He was used as an inside right by Herrera at Inter for a large spell so is more than used to the role he'd play here. Known for his pace, stamina and dribbling ability, the role I have him in here takes my attack up once again, meaning it is much more balanced and rounded, rather than shoehorning Fontaine in, like @Dear Hunter mentioned previously.

Bench: I think even my bench is pretty strong. Defensive cover and a 2-time world cup winner in Zito who would probably start ahead of McStay in Gav's team (if he is playing him, yet to see). Then Fontaine and Sanchez add even more attacking options to an already deadly attack.

Overall, I think I have too much. Di Stefano and Platini is a deadly combo but I think Eusebio and Ronaldo has a lot more goals in it as a partnership, with Mazzolla and Totti supplying more goals than the likes of Beckham. There's a lot more flexibility in my attack I feel, with the potential for interchanging, Totti could swap with Mazzolla for example as both were comfy in each other's positions, dragging Gav's defence everywhere.

Also have over 700 career goals on my bench alone. Defensively I surely have this one too.

image.png

14. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Matthaus and Platini operating in the same midfield is sumptuous..

However Mr Monaghan's defence is out of this world and with Ronaldo and Eusebio up front they would have too much for Gavs defence.

I also despise Beckham and Neymar.. :56:

Mr Shelby likes this.
  15. Keano88

I think Monaghan's defence is absolutely solid.

Midfield I'd go Gav.

Attack I'd go Monaghan.

Monaghan win for me.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'd probably agree with gav's midfield being better but purely because of Matthaus. He could do everything.

Mines is still a decent diamond. Totti adds a * tonne of goals from the midfield. Basically an extra striker. Think that's where my strength lies.

A solid as * defence but a tonne of goals both on the park and on the bench.

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In this game Platini > Totti.

18. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Yeah Platini is a better number 10.

I think Totti still gives you a lot from the midfield though. More goals than Platini.

19. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I just looked it up there as I wasn't sure, but Platini has a far better scoring record.

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Just checked myself. So he does.

Never looked that up always had it in my mind that Totti had more goals than that. In his defence, the fact he has played till he is 40 hasnt helped the look of his stats.

Anyway Platini is the better 10. I can happily admit that.