1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential, or *hopeful* exits?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr. Slippyfist, Jan 1, 2019.

Discuss Potential, or *hopeful* exits? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

Got a couple of threads on transfers coming in, but clear as * we have some amount of deadwood at the club we need shot of as soon as.

Dorus de Vries - won't get a penny for him, contract up this summer.

Jack Hendry - don't think he's good enough, nor will be, but he'll still be here come next season

Jozo Simunovic - shot ourselves in the foot not selling him to Torino. Permanently injured or out of form, still another two years left on his contract. Would bite the hand off any team willing to offer £2m or more...

Christian Gamboa - 29 year old, 3rd choice RB. Contract up in the summer. Should try and punt him for £250k-ish.

The Belgian Bawbag - sooner he signs a pre-contract the better. Should try and move him on this window for about £2.5m

Marvin Compper - shambolic signing and a complete waste of funds. Should just terminate his contract now.

Mikael Lustig - contract up in the summer. Should probably look to sell him the now, but won't. Will be here till the end of the season, then go home to Sweden.

Nir Bitton - year and a half left on his contract. Squad filler. Sell him as soon as, would take £1.5m

Scott Allan - would be as well just releasing him.

Olivier Ntcham - could kick ourselves for not sending him packing to Porto. Would take any decent offer that comes in.

Kouassi Eboue - what the * is happening with this wee guy? Should go out on loan.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  2. James Gold Member Gold Member

Eboue
    Hendry
    Boyata
    Hayes
    Benyu
    Compper
    De Vries
    Allan
    Mulumbu
    Gamboa
    Miller
    Bitton
    Morgan (Loan)

The amount of deadwood we have is frightening. I would give Ntcham 6 months to get back at it. Lustig I'd keep as back up. I'd be moving Sinclair and Brown to be more squad players than starters

JML67 likes this.
  3. Account Deactivated Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Kouassi tore his ACL hes out for season

Keano88 likes this.
  4. Eazey

* me its like stephen king wrote down a list of transfers

MartinoBianco and James like this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Mulumbu or Ntcham shouldn’t be anywhere near an exit.. both have qualities we may need.

Random Review and PorchBhoy67 like this.
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    It's a real pity we spunked 1 mil on Hendry, he clearly isn't good enough, just like a lot of the other deadwood.

Need to get the finger oot this window, no more excuses, no more squad fillers or ones for the future, we need good quality players that can come into the first team and help improve things.

packybhoy likes this.
  7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Gordon,
    De Vries,
    Boyata,
    Hendry,
    Compper,
    Gamboa,
    Lustig(although keep till end season),
    Mulumbu,
    Eboue,
    Allen,
    Benyu,
    Hayes,

12 players, that boyata aside, we would actually be better if they all just * off.
    Lustig and Hayes the slight exception as they do try, just aren't good enough any more.

Every single one should be sold/released.

Followed by any decent offer for Sinclair (just isn't gonna find the consistency we need, and I like the guy) and ntcham. Both of whom will need replaced.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    As much as there may be a wishlist of players to move on, the question becomes where to. It's all well and good to say, gtf, but the reality is, for whatever reason, some see the benefit of just sitting and collecting the wage. Depending on the individual, what offers they recieve... or if they recieve offers, and where they move to, it could be about taking a considerable pay cut. It could be if the player and his family is settled then relocating is not always what they want to do. It happens and most accept that this is part and parcel of a footballer's life, but for some it could be a consideration. Even the consideration to release a player can have it's costs that have to be taken into account.

I'm not saying that we shouldnt attempt to clear some of the names mentioned in this thread out, or that they should be encouraged to look elsewhere for opportunities, because clearly they do and we should, but this is not just a computer game, but real people that have real lives and real reasons for doing what they do.

It's the same when signing players, but in a number of ways that is actually easier than it is to offload those that are surplus to requirements. So, while there are roughtly a dozen names being mentioned in this thread thus far, it would be unrealistic to think that we would be able to move on even half that number in this window. If we did, I would consider that a massive success.

January is the window to do tweaking, not carrying out overhauls. We all know we need a couple of first team ready signings, up front most especially, but the situation we are now confronted with are not purely based on the personnel available at the manager's disposal.

9. donnegal celt

Hendry might look decent beside a good quality defender like benkovic

10. Jeremie Frimpong

Our negligence over the last number of windows will almost certainly mean that we are forced to bring in or keep substandard players to make up the numbers.

It is going to take a considerable amount of money just to replace outgoing starting-XI players to a reasonable standard, let alone strengthen the positions we need to strengthen.

Xatraps and The IRA like this.
  11. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Mulumbu hasn't had a chance yet and won't be on crippling wages.

Ntcham will be on big money after his recent contract extension. His quality is not in doubt but his application to show it is. He's been hoachin' for months. If we can get £8 million+ and free up £20k a week in wages then I think it can be better spent elsewhere.

His value will plummet if he sits on the bench but his half-arsed performances are seriously impacting the team. It's catch 22.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  12. Celticbhoy97

You could make an XI of utter pish we've signed in the last 3 seasons alone, everyone was a dud. Our water tight transfer policy has went oot the window big time.....

DDV
    Gamboa Compper Hendry Izzy
    Eboue Benyu
    *Arzanzi *Musonda Hayes
    *Ciftci

*only one that wasnt a lone was sold, embarrassing the level of dead wood we've got

13. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Ntcham does need to find more consistency but he has real quality and quality is needed..

14. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

What's the solution then?

Continue to play him and watch the team drop vital points on the league? As we have done during his abysmal performances in defeats to St Mirren, Hibs and the huns already.

Rodgers dropped him out of the team for a while there and it had zero effect on getting him to raise his game.

Giving 100% at all times should be a given at Celtic. Anyone unable or unwilling to give that should be shown the door, irrespective of how good they are or think they are.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Devlin and clonbhoy like this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He needs to be given time and shown some more patience.. still relatively young at 22..

I certainly wouldn’t punt in this window.

Random Review likes this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Fair enough, we differ on this and I say this as someone who had Ntcham down for Player of the Year.

Given how tight the league is I don't think we can afford to keep playing him when he's 'performing' as he is. Equally we can't afford to have him sitting on the bench doing nothing for his salary when we could be making our money back and then some.

To me the situation has shades of Donati in 2007/08 season. We were faltering and looked dead in the league til he was dropped for Hartley and Robson. We then stormed back to win the league. That's the sort of guys we need in the 2nd half of this season.

clonbhoy and KRS-1888 like this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    For me it's clearly his attitude..

His best pal and compatriot is off and he's wobbled for month's now..

He thinks he can do what Dembele has and sulk and be 'rewarded' by * off in my opinion..

Keeping player's around with this negative mindset is detrimental to us in every way..

He should be a guaranteed starter every week bossing game's. No disrespect to Christie but Ntcham should be affronted he can't get a game for us ahead of a boy who was a bit part player at the sheep, surplus here and on the verge of a move to league 1 Sunderland at best..

I rate him massively Ntcham but I'd cash in now and get someone who is up for it more than when they can be arsed. The signs have been there all along. Having to give him a new contract when barely just in the door and the window closed. Deliberately for me getting sent off at St Mirren. Subbed off in numerous game's from half time, after or warming the bench..

Xatraps likes this.
  18. Xatraps Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    All these threads.
    All these player lists.
    All the previous window disasters.
    All the work needing doing, by the same recruitment people who got us here.....

I'm scared.

Random Review likes this.
  19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I get both your points @McGuire & @Seán Mac D ..

He was terrible v The Hun but when we played Motherwell for example he was one of the better players and hooked. He obviously doesn’t complement Broonie but a Ntcham/McGregor partnership could defo work. He isn’t first choice at the moment and hopefully we’ll see him seize his chance when he gets it.. big half of a season for him..

20. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Agree with most the ntcham is a hard one to see he looked as if he was gonna kick on from last season if we knew he was gonna be so terrible this season then I'd agree but their was no telling he was gonna be poor this season

Sent from my AUM-L29 using Tapatalk