1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Politics in the pub.

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by TESLA, Jan 25, 2018.

Discuss Politics in the pub. in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Do you bother talking about opposite politics with your mates / family anymore?

I like talking about different views and historical rights and wrongs be it on here or with someone whos points align with my own but I think I've gotten to the stage where theres no point arguing with a friend or family member because it'll do nothing but get tempers flared and but a downer on things :giggle1:

I'd only ever pipe up if one of them said something absolutley stupid and is begging to be called out on it but I wont raise it myself anymore.

Has anyone ever convinced someone close to them that their whole political viewpoint is thick and brought them on your own side or is it always just as described above?

2. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Not worth it,can only lead to big time fall outs,especially as the pints and chasers are flowing:84:

3. Markybhoy

Nope. I have a pretty short fuse when it comes to certain subjects in that area so it's just not worth it.

Take my mother for example. Voted No to Indepedence and voted to Remain in the EU. Polar opposite to me. I can forgive her for voting to stay in the EU but to me it is completely unforgivable that she voted No in 2014. I could barely speak to her for weeks after that. So the whole subject is just best avoided. The one thing we do have in common is we both hate the Tories, so we can talk a little bit of politics now and again.

Same deal with my mates. Most of them voted for Independence but the ones who voted Yes in 2014 also all voted to remain in the EU. The couple of mates I have who voted to leave the EU also voted No in 2014. So basically nobody agrees with me on all counts. :giggle1:

If I've had a few and someone brings the subject up(rarely happens) then I will get involved. Other than that I don't bother anymore.

TESLA and Aidan O’Shea like this.
  4. Aidan O’Shea

I’ll talk to work colleagues about it but will usually just discuss the economic side of things, as there tends to be less emotion involved.

I’ll never start a discussion about refugees, religion or the like as people get very sensitive and upset.

5. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    I leave it out of work completely, didnt used to but since I started a new I wouldnt dare as your only gonna step on someones foot whether you mean to or not.

6. Markybhoy

Aye. I 100% avoid any discussion of religion in the pub. That is pretty much guaranteed not to end well.

7. Grimm You belong to me!

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Thomson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    Love pub politics, had some brilliant debates with the Ref1 through to free bus passes, NHS and whether you would pump Nicola. Never seen a punch up once, though a few near misses.

Aidan O’Shea likes this.
  8. Aidan O’Shea

Especially when some idiots treat every religion as the same.

Markybhoy likes this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In the pub, when people have had a few drinks, it's barely worth discussing because the opinions become incoherent, exaggerated nonsense.

Though, in most social situations, I've got no issue with having a discussion about politics with almost anyone.

10. leeso-ardoyne

I hate it. It always ends up in a mess. Im actually embarrassed to go back to the pub i love going to here in Mayo because arguing over politics. Great * pub this is too, lock ins to 5/6 am, they drive everyone home so ya dont need to bring the car. They even give ya free chips, nuggets, sausages near the end of the night at wknds/busy nights when everyones feeling the hunger. But, some * started discussing politics with me when i was full of the Guinness and whiskey few weeks ago. He ended up slagging off the blanket men. That the IRA where a bunch of murdering * killing innocent women and kids. He even had a good dig at Gerry Adams for killing Jean mcconville. Sure when Tommy mans full of the whiskey in the early hours, i went mental listening to all his *, then told the * that big Gerry should have got some big black man with a foot long from america to rape her before they put one in the back of her head. So it would have put a smile on her face and let her die happy. Near had a big scuffle after that one!

Im even cringing writing this at what i said that night, because any one who rapes someone is a proper lowlife scum. They are the ones that should be getting a bullet in the head so the comment about what i sad was totally out of order. So, its safe to say, i wont be discussing politics in the pub ever again, and esp when full of the whiskey lol. The stuff should be banned!

The IRA likes this.
  11. MikeyBhoy89 Stranger In Paradise

Fav Celtic Player:
    Varga
    Fav Celtic Song:
    o
    A take a great interest in politics/historical politics and don't mind discussing it with people. Don't get in to a debate with people about my opinions though cause a can't debate for *..... . Everytime a argue about it my minds goes blank and a end up looking like a know f all. Ten minutes later it comes into ma head what a should have said.

12. The IRA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vol. Ryan Chrisite
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Beautiful Sunday - the IRA version
    Free Staters are always the worst.

EndThePLC likes this.
  13. leeso-ardoyne

Shocking how they behave concerning up north! It really surprised me when i first moved here. Now, i just see them as just a bunch of daft * who are brain washed by the west brit media/government here. They dont think for themselves.

14. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Nah,* all that.Basically ruined Christmas last year for cracking up about the royals.You're better off discussing heavier stuff when you're sober or stoned..alcohol is satan.

Saul Goodman and Doogs. like this.
  15. Clint Eastwood The Good Bad and Ugly of TC

Absolutely, people end up getting wound up though and wanting to kill me while I just sit there smirking.

16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Nah, none of my mates give a toss about it.

I'm more inclined to but wouldn't be my choice of conversation. Never ends well.

17. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I try to avoid it as I genuinely hate some of my mates attitudes on certain topics and generally will let them know if the topic arises which is never a good thing tbh.

One of my mates used to be completely anti Republican and hated the provos and we used to argue all the time about it, but only recently he said he was leaning more to my point of view and could see where I was coming from. Won’t lie, that made me feel smug as *. :56:

The IRA likes this.
  18. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I’ve lost count the amount of times I’ve said to my mates ‘You need to start reading books instead of newspapers.’

19. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Unspoken agreement with most people not to bring up any Irish history debates with me as they know I'll wipe the * floor with them.

20. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Find even discussing the subject when sober can cause heated arguments. Everybody sees it differently. Some want to get into minuscule problems when there are glaring problems with health and education. Some * wants some hung for a lightbulb out at the end of the street. Stick to talking about music and other *.