1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Transfer Talk

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by PaulM1888, Jun 24, 2009.

Discuss Transfer Talk in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roskopicachu

I'd go with the most attack minded midfield we can possibly build. Key guys to replace are Kayal and Sammy. Another option for the likes of Commons and i reckon he can just play Hooper's position. But there are so many good players out there right now, i'd be wanting to really build the squad up with better quality than the likes of McGeough, Rogic.

That's effectively 4 midfielders. Henderson can take one of those spots, that leaves three.

Striker wise it's easy to get a good striker, but what do we do with the ones we have?

That's a tricky one. If we could get £2million for a Pukki or a Balde we should do it.

Firepower's their with Watt, Stokes and Griffiths. Pukki and Balde go, we've got a space to fill with one top striker and that should be the thing to do.

Minimum should be 2 good midfielders, 1 good striker and a defensive playmaker and a keeper. But we need players we can turn around in the transfer market and that's why i'd be wanting to make some proper investments adding running power, battling qualities and players who can score from midfield and join the attack.

Problem in the Summer was we went with players who couldn't defend so well. From time to time lose possession. That needs to be eradicated.

2. mls1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura and Moravcic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I reckon we can, Rennes bought him for something like €3m and if he forces a move this could easily be matched or dropped. Toivonen getting 10 goals/assists is a good return for Rennes (finishing lower mid-table).

3. 31B404 Gold Member Gold Member

Coral grows faster than Lugano can run...

4. paddybhoy92

35 yesterday... which weirdly means you asked this question on his birthday...

WikipediaCSC:celt_2:

5. mightymcginn

our recent history says otherwise

6. Gourlay1967

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tam Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Marc albrighton got released from villa today. Hes a pacey wee winger. Could do a job for us imo

7. holy pope

Fav Celtic Player:
    All time Larsson, Currently KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields of Athenry
    He is off to Leicester City on 30/35 k a week Villa could not match it .

8. Seosamh Máirtín

Yet he's supposed to be a boyhood Villan. Go figure. Modern football sucks.

9. Roskopicachu

There's always this drama about strikers, did we just play the whole season without a striker? We scored a lot of goals. It's the midfield that really needs improving.

If people are happy with the midfield, get ready for a boring season. If you put together a midfield that can take on teams in Europe, Griffiths, Commons and Stokes will get goals.

If you put together a midfield that can only create a couple of chances per game in Europe, chances are high you won't get many goals.

You could go down the road of creating more chances in games from midfield. More chances created, and the quality of the chances needs to improve also.
    Those players to create chances are available right now.

But if it's a striker who'll be guaranteed to score every time he gets the ball 30 yards out good luck finding that player. Strikers are rarely afforded time at Celtic, unlike midfielders and defenders. This is part of the reason people think we haven't been able to sign a good striker, even though we have 3 who score over 20 goals a season quite easily. Add Watt to that as well.

On one hand people say Watt is gonna be this, that and the other next season, then they go into another post and want a striker signed. What would the point be in signing a good striker, if you want to play Watt in the team.
    Or if you already have strikers scoring for fun and with the potential to score more.

If the midfield want to sit in and play tippy-tappy football and keep playing the ball back to Ambrose, Van Dijk and the keeper, then it's the midfield that can't handle the pace. Scared to take players on. Worried they don't have the pace or the technical ability to outsmart the opposition with natural skill and ability.

This is where i believe the weakness lies in Europe. But as always, it's the strikers who are bad, never the midfielders.

10. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    i know a lot of what comes up on this account is pish, but apparently we are in for leon osman (via @celticgossip)

11. Koke

* I hope not

12. Koke

Albrighton released by Villa, good player IMO we should be on that

13. mightymcginn

the level our midfielders and strikers play at at international level suggests otherwise. Stokes and Griffiths both struggle to get a game for ireland and scotland respectively. On the other hand brown is scotland's captain, johansen has established himself as a starter for norway, biton plays significant minutes for israel, and mulgrew is an important utility player for scotland. For the record i'm not saying our strikers are bad, after his first half season here I think griffiths looks an excellent player and stokes is a good striker aswell. My point in the original comment you quoted was to point out that we have signed bangura, balde, pukki, brozek, murphy, and fortune in recent years so signing a decent striker seems to be a very hit or miss proposition.

14. lemon difficult

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    i wouldnt say stokes struggles to get a game for ireland. trappatoni had issues with him, since trap left he has been part of every squad and played every game under MON. im pretty sure he'll be a regular in the team for the forseeable future

15. mightymcginn

tbh i don't watch ireland so i was just going by the fact that he never got called up under trappatoni,

16. Gyp Rosetti Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    And the madness at Leicester begins :rolleyes:

17. Roskopicachu

I understand what you're saying, but right now there are a lot of players, midfield players available, who i think would put the fear of death into Champions' League opposition.

Defending and attacking build up play from midfield will be better with Griffiths and Johansen. It's those kind of players we need. If you get players in who are that bit less predictable and are a bit more difficult to mark we'll be onto a good thing next season.

18. Kayal338

Gavin Gunning - Aaron Taylor-Sinclair Free Agent !

19. magoo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky/ Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Fields
    Gunning is a big puddin mate, he's wasteing that young laddie Soutar at United.

20. Jayzhinho67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing !
    Ciftci I think would be a decent buy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.