1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Fully87

Fav Celtic Player:
    Leigh Griffiths
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    its not a secret that Celtic and Rangers want into the EPL, been hearing it for as long as i remember, everyone knows this so it aint news, what media source did you find this article? is this another one of the Record or Suns so called world exclusives?

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  2. horseshoe

I'm not sure why it would be a shock or anger anyone that were had contact about us and them joining the english setup, it comes up every few years and both boards know it would be a money spinner, and if they were ever to let us in they would always want it as a package deal so they'd have had 'old firm' games to sell for tv, this is the least surprising 'news' reported in a while, wonder why it's suddenly come up now.

3. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

I don’t think Celtic and Rangers have the global following some think. Yes we both have supporters/clubs etc in many countries but it’s not anywhere near the like of the big teams in the top 5 leagues.

Social media followings can be way of judging it to some extent lol. And we don’t really have the many which indicates to me we don’t have a huge following globally.

But on the topic of it, I’ve never really made my mind up if it would be a good or bad idea joining the English game.

4. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Regardless what rag came out with it I think your missing the point

5. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    @Sonic Reducer You quoted me earlier but didn't leave any reply all I see is blank ?

6. Sonic Reducer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mr Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Symphony
    I was wondering the same thing...lazy way of asking if anyone really knows what this 5 way agreement is ?

scuzzy and Metrobhoy like this.
  7. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    A stitch up.

8. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Can get tae * with the EPL *, only person that wants it is Dermot to make his money.

Cumbernauld Bhoy67 and oh bhoy like this.
  9. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

I'd possibly support us joining the EPL - but not if it means the huns have to come! Why does it have to be some sort of joint package?

If the TV deals were fairer it would go a long way as not a big fan of the English set up or their * VAR system.

10. StevieBhoooy!

This is why the media push the ‘OF’ term at every opportunity... they have to be bound to us like some manky old relation at a family do...

Too many interested parties from the media, SFA and the clubs themselves need to see it as some sort of symbiotic relationship that can’t be broken.

I enjoyed the few seasons where Aberdeen we’re finishing second .... not because they got second but because it pushed Sevco into third... in that scenario they have no claim or right to be part of any 2 club package.

Id love us to get to the 10 and then be offski .... and without the manky geographic in-laws tagging along.... not to the EPL as I think their bubble will burst...., but to a European league . Either a N/S or E/W setup with playoff/knockout finals etc....

Anything to be away from the association that seems dedicated to keeping us second best and making rules up as it goes along .. generally to the benefit of the club that is desperate to associate itself with us yet despises us in equal measure.

KRS-1888 likes this.
  11. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Would absolutely hate us joining the epl, totally despise English football.

12. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Within a few years of exposure in the EPL we would easily be some of the best supported clubs down. Anyone that's ever been to an EPL game knows how soulless those clubs are.

Us and them are a different kettle of fish, we're more than football clubs. It's tribal. Others would buy into that passion very quickly.

I would hate us to join English football though. The soul is being sucked out of it right now by Sky and BT. Working class fan-bases being priced out of the game and replaced by foreign football tourists. Camera phones out at every opportunity, selfies with opposition players...:99:

Garrymac1888 and Luis1967 like this.
  13. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Since everyone seems to be on the EPL bandwagon in the thread Moyes has come out with this

DAVID MOYES wants Scotland’s top clubs to revamp England’s League Cup.

The Carabao Cup is under increasing threat after Pep Guardiola claimed the top teams are playing too much football.
    But West Ham boss Moyes says the way to reignite interest is to allow the likes of the Old Firm into the tournament, and says it would prove a money-spinner for TV.

Former Celtic player Moyes said: “Folk might shoot it down but I think the opportunity to introduce the Scottish teams would give it a chance.
    “Maybe one of the TV companies — if you’re calling it the British Cup — might be a bit more interested and it might bring in a bit more money.

“I don’t think that down here the clubs like Celtic and Rangers are given enough credit for the size of their football clubs.
    I would argue there are only maybe two clubs in England bigger than either of them.

“We’ve just come out of one of the worst periods of Brexit. Why can we not actually bring Britain together and have a British Cup instead of a League Cup?

14. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Sure peter & his friends from Ibrox will be well behind this after all it may bring Britain together

15. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Agree with all of that.

Seán Mac D likes this.
  16. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Celtic have a massive following worldwide, don’t kid ourselves on we have the global following of the likes of Barcelona Real Madrid, Liverpool Man Utd due to the Chinese N India markets which are massive countries and probably no one in those countries supports or gives a toss about Celtic

but in Scotland and Ireland alone our fanbase is massive added to the likes of USA, Canada Australia n the like where there are large contingent of CSC, definitely in top 20 of largest fanbase

17. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Yes and let’s not forget even the big clubs in the EPL are living beyond their means. It won’t take very much for the whole set-up to implode.

Let me try to explain. The Championship clubs are allowed to go into £39m of debt in any 3 year period. Clubs have already broken that rule many times over, in their quest to reach the ‘land of milk and honey.’

This madness filters down to at least league 2 level.
    In the next decade more and more lower league clubs will go to the wall, chasing the impossible dream. It’s happening now. And when the rich foreign sugar daddies get bored, and realise they’re throwing money into the bottomless pit, which is the EPL, the inevitability is that clubs will go to the wall!

Imo I think the whole English Football League will crash down from the bottom up!!

Time will tell eh?

Mark my words. The mental spending will bring the whole thing crashing down about their lugs.

18. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Hopefully just read an article stating Man U are will to pay £30million for a 16yo
    Cmon Tae Fkkk

The Magnificent 7 likes this.
  19. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

You’d be selling the soul out of the club, the ST prices would go up and you’d soon find a lot of tourists at games instead of actual fans.

Also * the English *, can’t wait for that bubble to burst and it will at some point, it’s not sustainable.

20. The Magnificent 7 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think the whole set-up, where the top clubs hoover up most of the emerging talent to ultimately destroy most of their potential careers, because they condemn players - other than truly elite players to the scrap heap, before they’re properly assessed. The failure rate is huge.

Some young guys should take a long, hard look before they commit to the top 4 or 5 clubs......although it must be difficult to turn down circa £10k or £20k, but It’s a relatively short career, and maybe if their advisors/agents weren’t so greedy they would look at the big picture to consider what’s right with their young players.

Celtic is a great breeding ground for young talent and I think we have a fantastic set-up and business model.

Unbelievable if that’s a fact buddy?
    Fucn football world is mental, but governed really by US the punters and TV subscribers. The economic law of supply and demand.

it’s akin to a Ponzi scheme or Multi-level marketing,where the top bananas feed off the dregs.
    End of rant.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    MickeyyMack likes this.