1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

To be fair he earned that one by masterminding the signing of the dynamic duo, Colin Kazim-Richards and Carlton Cole.

2. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

not defending him but surely he takes instructions from DD? PL will not be deciding he wants to do this or that without the go ahead from DD.

3. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

We are a speck in Desmond's business empire, the vast majority of decisions are left to Lawwell. He will have a structure of targets to work towards (mostly financial) but he'll have autonomy to work as he pleases as long as they're met.

You could count on one hand how often Desmond makes a Celtic game per season.

4. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

There is absolutely no "maybe" about it - Nil, no chance, nada, zilch. You being an accountant know, as well as I do, that no one would put their name to that as they would look, being very polite here, rather silly in front of their colleges.

5. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

Naw yer wrong here Slippy it would be a piece of * doing his job...

especially for those who gained valuable experience when they ran the school tuck shop :giggle1:

HoopyT likes this.
  6. Mr. Slippyfist

I get the hate this guy gets, and he deserves it for SOME issues, but most * just talk absolute pish and point the finger at him because of what he earns.

I couldn't give a * what he earns in all honesty, it's not my place to decide whether or not he deserves it (I don't even know what he earns either!).

All I care about is what is on the park - and right now, it is NOT anywhere near good enough.

Lawwell was part of a leadership group who missed a trick by ot strengthening our squad the season after Seville, I understand why there had to be downsizing when Strachan was appointed, I think we * up trying to just go with what we had and buy cheap when Deila was in charge (although no proper rival in the league, you could maybe sitting on the fence see why), but there's not excuse now for not going all in and bringing in quality players to cement the 10 and make ourselves a complete force and try to make more inroads into Europe.

That's now 2 seasons without CL money, ok. Horendous as it is, but the balance sheets haven't taken THAT much of a blow considering the last two seasons now we've sold on Dembele for £20m, and now Tierney for £25m, that's £45m+ for two players who's entire outlay cost Celtic something like £600k-ish.

As far as I'm aware, the money for the Europa League has gone up from say - £7m for group stage participation, to around £18m? (not exactly sure on figures, but it's definitely still a big step up), we still have a fair chunk of change around too, so we are not about to fall on hard times for not getting into the CL, but the issue now is that we have rivals for our domestic league who are definitely gaining strength and gaining momentum and are now a viable threat to our domestic domination, and we NEED to get CL fitba next season - 3 years on the trot without it is disastrous for the bank balance, so we need to speculate to accumulate. Without doubt.

7. JED

We need to get our new defenders on the pitch; sort out the story with Sinclair; play our best outfield players in their preferred positions/or as close as we can to get the team gelling. Then we can look at strengthening goalkeeper, defence and attack. Getting the players we have right on the pitch is Neil's job. Identifying the strengthening candidates is Neil's job (and those he trusts) - and it's Lawwell's job with the board to make that happen. Stating the obvious but there are different things to fix here by different people

8. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

There is.
    The reason is the yearly dividend given to the shareholders. And the biggest shareholder of all? Desmond.
    That dividend is paid out from the PROFIT the club makes in the financial year.
    If we spend £25million on players and our operating profit is £2million that’s sofa change to Desmond.

It’s really that simple.

Gyp Rosetti likes this.
  9. Mr. Slippyfist

Yeah mate, I get that the more you put out the less profit Mr. X or Mr. Y shareholder makes, but if you fail to bring in the optimum cash from competition then you're still not going to make the profit that you hope for, so if Desmondo and whoever shareholders are such bonus-orientated *, then surely they'd want as much as possible, no?

They've already spunked out £10m on two players, so I'd get your point if our total transfer budget was...say....£5m all in, but we're prepared to spend money, so that whole notion of shareholders not putting out is nonsense.

Desmond has already dipped into his pockets in recent years anyway by paying to bring in the two Keane's on playing contracts, and part funding Fraud coming in.

So....in actual fact.....it's NOT really that simple, is it?

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  10. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    :50:
    Good post and not full of the usual bullshit some come away with. I will reply later but I need to head out just now.

11. Mr. Slippyfist

Thanks, Mr. Bankier.

I'm heading out the now anaw taking the wean to the pics for the first time, need to stop thinking about Celtic for a couple of hours.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  12. Bayern Bru Gold Member Gold Member

Which body are you with Blochairn? I’m currently with ACCA (more than halfway through the qualification).

Overall I still support Lawell, but I haven’t been this close to turning on him in many a year. My positive opinion of him is riding the quickly dwindling wave of his previous good decision making.

13. Senna s1979

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain

He hasn’t dipped into his own pockets.
    Every penny for the Keanes and Rodgers came from our turnover - it’s there in the books.
    He may have given the go ahead to break the wage structure but he didn’t personally pay for anything as that’s probably illegal in terms of players registrations (remember the oldco?).
    Surprised the accountant hasn’t verified this rather than calling everyone a clown or conspiracy theorist.

Roy Keane was given a contract because at that time he was still seen as a great player and leader.
    Robbie was a panic loan to try and catch the Huns. In order to win the league to earn more money no doubt.

14. SCOTTYBHOY_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand Old Team To Play For
    Charging 20 quid for Thursday is a joke too he can sook ma plums for this. Seeing some of the comments on twitter about the tickets for Thursday on the official page has cheered me right up too

TheHappyLoss likes this.
  15. Whoflungdung

Fav Celtic Player:
    Ryan Christie
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SOldiers song
    Can see attendance for next Thursday being on the low side

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Thats surely a bit of a contradiction, to say you only care what goes on, on the pitch, yet that the fact that we have sold has compensated for our CL exits?

I frankly think that it may be excused if we reached the play offs and got beat from a team of the ilk of a Basel, Slavia Prague, etc. But we have been beaten by two very mediocre sides now who we were stronger than both financially and on paper and we should have beaten.

We have failed to hold on to some of our key players for two successive transfer windows not and our failure to qualify is directly affecting this.

Lawell has been responsible for a failures of the appointment of Congerton (with the wishes of Rodgers im sure), the contract situation of Boyata and the decision to invest in disco lights to the detriment of the playing squad.

17. Lilac Wine

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    It's hard to make out if Lawwell has been acting as chief scout or not, I mean Park was head of dept for 9 years wasn't he before Congerton destroyed it. So Pedro wouldn't have had much time to do anything unilaterally.

He must have been very aware for a long time now the support want answers to some basic questions about the direction they are taking the club? I don't understand why he would blank such a simple request, that seems really ignorant.

So if he's quite happy to rubber everyone then Desmond should be the target of fans disaffection because he might not like that at all. And he can make things happen when there's a crisis and right now it feels like it. Not a change of manager crisis mind.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Lilac Wine likes this.
  19. TheHappyLoss

Sook ma plums made me laugh

SCOTTYBHOY_67 likes this.
  20. Cupid Stunt

It concerns me that anyone would consider going at all to be honest, especially at those prices.

The fans have to take huge responsibility in allowing things to get to the stage they have when it has been evident for some time we were slipping back towards mediocrity and not building from a position of strength (again).

No matter what drivel the club puts out, no matter how bad things get (inexcusably so), people still plough so much money in to the club so why the * would they bother changing anything?

Lawell and co's only objective is to increase the share price and the profitability of the club.

This was plainly evident when it took the attendance figures dropping to the point they had to put a banner over a section of stand and losing in the cup to Rangers before we acted and brought in Rodgers.

If we carry on along the road we are on, we'll soon be getting that banner back out. I guess on the plus side, if that does happen, we may kid on we have some ambition again.

I guarantee people will still go out and buy that absolute monstrosity of a third kit as well.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.