1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    In terms of spending as well, I have a feeling we will see a bit more ambition in the next few years, Rodgers' arrival was the first real sign of that.

We've had a few boring, stuttering years but now I get the impression we are going to just pull away even further. The money is there and if we can continue qualifying for the CL then the stockpiles will only get bigger and bigger.

Like it or not, football has changed and having a guy like Lawwell on our side is a huge bonus. Operating in a league like ours with the finances available, it is priceless to have a guy with his connections and standing in European football.

Luis1967 and Bumblebee like this.
  2. Valhalla Thus spoke Batistuta.

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I don't think Lawell was the problem, from what I've heard it was John Park.

Lawell took care of the business side of the things but he simply had too much faith in Park. Unsurprisingly Brendan told him to get to * soon as he was settled.

There's major changes to the football department still to come. Rodgers is going all out on trying to build a world class infrastructure for the long term.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

PETER Lawwell has insisted that he would tell his own son to stay at Celtic such is his conviction that the Parkhead club is the right place for young players to develop.

Celtic had six players in Gordon Strachan’s squad for this month’s World Cup qualifier against England with Kieran Tierney the poster-boy graduate of Celtic’s academy structure.

Michael Johnston and Anthony Ralston also featured in Brendan Rodgers’ senior side in the latter stages of last term with Celtic assuring the immediate future of the former at the club with a three-year contract extension that staved off interest from Chelsea.

Rangers lost 15-year-old Billy Gilmour to the Stamford Bridge side, but Lawell has maintained that the pulling power of Rodgers and the structure at the club gives an assurance to young players that Celtic is a place where they will get their chance to improve.

“If you go somewhere else too early – and we saw this with the likes of Islam Feruz, maybe we’ll see it with Billy Gilmour – it is a big risk,” he said. “The financial attraction is there, you can’t ignore that, but the right advice, unquestionably is to stay here and if it was my own son that is the same advice that I would be dispensing.

“You have Brendan, Chris Davies and Glenn Driscoll who are world-class. There is a stage out there where you can become a player. We are always relaxed. We do not need to sell players.”

And Lawwell also believes that the genuine nature of what Celtic can offer facilitates the process of enticing young players to the club.

There is the obvious reach to relatively local youngsters that Celtic is a club where they can realise their potential but, as shown in recent years, there is also an ability to attract young players already at elite clubs who need exposure to first-team football.

Patrick Roberts has just completed a successful 18-month loan spell, while Moussa Dembele has continued the upward trajectory of his career following his inaugural season at Celtic.

“What makes it easier if you are sitting with a kid, either to keep here or bring here, is that when you really believe what you are saying,” said Lawwell.

“For these kids, it is undoubtedly right for them to come and develop here. It was right for Moussa to come here, it was right for Patrick and it is right for Michael and Anthony who are around it, the next in line to start coming through.

“A big sell for us is the manager because he loves developing players and he has such a strong track record of doing that. Playing here in front of 60,000 supporters, playing in the Champions League, developing a winning mentality and getting a profile is what we can offer young players. They then become marketable and they develop quicker here, no doubt about it.

“The point to players coming here is that Brendan is a big attraction, especially for young players because they can come here and they will get better. The reputation is well deserved that he has.”

Random Review likes this.
  4. CymruBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing.
    I think the club is in a great place, now weather that is all down to PL's long term strategy i don't know. Of course BR is responsible for a huge amount of work but PL got him in here & has certainly given him the tools to do the job.
    We have one of the best scouting systems in Europe I believe.
    Additional indoor pitch at Lennoxtown.
    Top of the range new pitch at Celtic Pk.
    Safe standing.
    Improvements to Celtic Way & the dressing up of the stadium.
    New Celtic hotel & museum in the pipeline.
    Keeping the young Dembele here was no mean feat I imagine.
    The development of young Scottish talent is now mainly down to Celtic alone, SFA development of youngsters would be * without Celtic.
    6 Celts played against England . . . & should have been victorious.
    I'm running out of superlatives for this epoch in which we are lucky enough to find ourselves in, but it's bloomin marvelous.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    BrownsGhirl8 and jpb like this.
  5. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    100% Agree...yeah I would like to see more action in the transfer market to widen the gap on Sevco..but all the above are progress in action which also widen the gap and builds a great foundation for the future.

6. oh bhoy

Lawwell comes out with that days after signing an average 30 year old who will be picked ahead of every youngster we already have :43:

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    You need to sign some established players even if you're in the business of developing young players.

Random Review likes this.
  8. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers thinks the 29 year old he's just signed is anything but average.

You don't know who he'll be picked ahead of or why.

littlekennie and Random Review like this.
  9. celtic20

To be honest it is fair to assume that Hayes will be largely selected ahead of the likes of Johnstone.

10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He's an 18 year old that played once last year, it's safe to assume the entire first team squad will start before him.

11. celtic20

Yet you questioned the previous poster saying "you don't know who he'll be picked ahead of" when he's referring to youngsters.

As I said, safe to assume the introduction of Hayes limits opportunities for the likes of Johnstone. That's just the way it is.

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He doesn't and neither do you or I. Such is the nature of an assumption.

For all we know Rodgers has earmarked Johnstone to be first choice winger.

13. celtic20

Yeah I get that.

On a side note I would really like to see some more of Johnstone this season. Another 5 games or so would be great because he was extremely impressive on his debut.

littlekennie and Random Review like this.
  14. oh bhoy

Similarly you can't read minds and claim to know what Rodgers thinks,Rodgers says nice things about everyone always.lawwel has said this is the place to be for youngsters and the Hayes transfer totally contradicts that when we have send a very talented young player to Aberdeen .

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Brendan clearly likes Hayes as a player. He'll get a decent chunk of game time that's for sure..

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

It is as clear as day that Hayes is a Rodgers signing, I'll take his opinion on him and Ryan Christie all day long. Even allowing for the fact I had my own concerns about Hayes.

17. oh bhoy

Still doesn't leave lawwell any less full of *

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I'm not sure what you're getting at here?

What does Lawwell coming out and saying he'd leave his son at Celtic to develop got to do with Rodgers signing Hayes?

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Said it before, a few pages back on here, but I'm gonna say it again just cos'...

When he eventually leaves, his big critics might find it being a case of you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

He has his faults but in terms of his reputation and standing within the game we'd be hard pressed to do better within a league and situation like ours.

CymruBhoy, Damnati and FATLAZYBHOY like this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I genuinely think it's impossible to find/attract someone with his pedigree and standing and the only reason we've attracted Brendan (world class coach and man manager in my opinion) is because of the personal pull..

It's quickly forgotten about ay. Unbeaten domestic treble and champion's league qualification yet still seen various place's where question's are being asked a few week's in to our summer break..

Must be his horrendous dealings in the transfer market last season.......

Mr Shelby likes this.