1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Elliot resigns as FA ambassador

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Belfast-hoops, Feb 24, 2013.

Discuss Paul Elliot resigns as FA ambassador in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Belfast-hoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/story/194530.html#

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere,

Paul Elliot has resigned his judicial role within the FA, his nominated UEFA committee post and his involvement within the anti-racism organisation "kICK IT OUT" due to an offensive racial remark he made to Charlton defender Richard Rufus.

What I got from this reading various articles is that he was jokingly using the highly offensive term "ni**ger" in the way some black people do with each other in a sort of boys in the hood fashion.

I really don't get why some black people use this word TBH, I think it makes the task of eradicating it from society impossible, especially with it being so inflammatory when used by another race against black people in general. Just my opinion really but it kind of reeks of contradiction.

2. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

Yep,don't understand why they use it then go into a hissy fit if someone of a different race uses it.

3. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

* does not offend me.

4. Verrix

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA & Fields
    People try to reclaim offensive words sometimes, like * with the LGBT community.

5. Belfast-hoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    I don't find the word * offensive in the slightest in fact it amuses me that a certain breed thinks it does.

I don't know what you mean by reclaiming it as it was born as an offensive term and used by people who enslaved black people.

6. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Would it never offend you?

Used to know a guy that came into every Celtic mtg down in England by saying 'good evening * scum' Not saying that is right or wrong but that he knew no one would take offence to it.'

That is completley different to talking to a police officer outside the Celtic club complaing about the behavoiur of Rangers fans n been told '* off u * *.
    It is all to do with context.

7. Ruxin

Context is everything with words like these.

8. caramia

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Feed the Bear
    First called a * when I was 12 years old, by an OLDCO fan, had to ask my mother what it meant,a legendary group of heroic Irish warriors of the second and third centuries a.d., however I have now been called this many times during my life, consequently quite chuffed that my roots are of interest to these people!!!:icon_mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  9. Belfast-hoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    I actually know what your saying mate without taking up the remedial challenge you set and I don't think you think like that either TBH.

Regardless of the empowerment theory, if it's such a highly controversial offensive word then those who find it as such should not use it in any form.

10. Paul55

You offend me and you nose it.

Silly thing to do on Elliot's part, especially with the amount of attention on racism in football at the moment.

11. faw cough Gold Member Gold Member

The word * on its own would never offend me.

12. Scotia Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    you wear the hoops thats good enough
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    he should have known better than to use that phrase .

13. CelticBhoyDavid

Fav Celtic Player:
    Would have to be King of Kings, Henrik Larsson.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I'm not picky.
    This is true. I've heard some black folk call each other that before in a sort of "non-offensive" way. Example - they said it as a sort of greeting like "Sup n**ga" and "Heyyyy my n**ga!" and * like that. I was watching a Richard Prior stand-up last night on TV and he used it constantly and was getting laughs galore.

The thing is, it's like any sort of term that can be considered "offensive" though. The examples I gave above wouldn't be considered "offensive" because of the term it's used in, but if someone was to call a black guy a "*' n**ger" then it's completely different. It's like * - depending on the context it's used in a lot of people may be offended by it.

14. Soul Rebel

Fav Celtic Player:
    Commons/Sammy/Ledley
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony & Toy Town
    What an idiot is all I can say. Who would think that saying something like that is ever going to end well? I mean, there's a chance it may or may not offend, but why say something like that and bother taking the risk.

15. Belfast-hoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    This.

16. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop
    Having re-read the op i realise i weighed in a bit to early without properly reading it.There is no doubt what Elliott did was stupid. I also agree that the publicity will only hinder the eradication of the word. However i do stil think context is a factor as no offence was meant by this. For instance i think this is completely different to the ron Atkinson one.

17. Rossenspeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    Beram Kayal
    If he has said what has been alleged, then he is an idiot and should have known better.

18. therealfenian

Fav Celtic Player:
    N/A
    Fav Celtic Song:
    N/A
    * is completely different.

I am proud to be a *. The term like many true Irish symbols has been hijacked by Loyalists.

The 'N' word is offensive. End of story. I believe I read that it means black inanimate object, from the Latin term Nigre. Clearly this word was used by the colonialist scum to drum into the general masses they were not human.