1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Patrick Roberts!

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by AJ Styles, Jan 24, 2016.

Discuss Patrick Roberts! in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. dmccourt95

18 months would work for me as he could have an impact for us in terms of on the European stage and on the domestic front but 6 months is pointless, who cares if he's a great prospect unless his loan will be long enough to benefit us it makes no difference if he becomes a Messi level player because we made no money off him and he never directly won us a competition

2. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    A loan here and there isnt a bad thing. We are also trying to get him for 18 months which shows that we are trying tk build a strong enough squad for qualifiers. Elyounoussi is most likely not going to be sold and this kid is a pretty strong plan B. If we get him for 12-18 months thats fine IMO. If we cant get Elyounoussi, * way she goes boys (Canadian)

3. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Discussions regarding the transfer of players I'm talking about. It isn't within Mark's remit - I don't doubt for a second he'll tip him off but in Roberts case it's not too difficult. He cost Man City 12 million quid.

Nah he has a relationship with Pellegrini, he's stated a couple of times he talks to Hodgson, Rodgers and Pellegrini.

4. PoddyBhoy

And Klopp could see a few coming from Liverpool also but Klopp likes to give you the a chance himself.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

5. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    if its a long term loan deal say till the end of the year then yes

6. donnegal celt

Where does this kid play. Who would he be replacing in our first team

7. Priest

Forrest probably if they think he isn't signing a new deal

8. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    If it's a longer deal as suggested it's slightly more appealing, however I'd rather try out our own that we have alreadyor the boy from Modle.

9. RockhardBoss

Absolutely pointless if it's a 6 month deal. I see no benefit to Celtic if that's the case.

Man City seem to have paid a lot of money for him (i guess they can afford to speculate) considering his lack of first-team action.

As a lot have said, 18 month loan would be more interesting but would still rather have a buy option, which wouldn't be realistic for someone bought for £12m a year ago.

It was fine having Denayer for a year but it just leaves Celtic without a paddle in the Summer and having to replace a stalwart before important games. What's the point in Celtic helping to develop these talents if they don't see any long-term benefit or money. I'm not wanting Celtic to be a City feeder club.

10. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    Not interested. I dont care if he becomes the greatest player in the history of the game. Developing a youth player for a richer club will leave us short in the future. Sign a promising winger from abroad instead.

11. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Really think this could be just cover. Elyounessi still on the cards

12. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Anyone that wouldn't have taken Messi for 6 months at 17 is a *.

Not a chance he is coming to Celtic to sit on a bench, he can do that in Manchester.

13. CheGuevara

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    6 month deal with an option to extend it by a season, and I'd be happy.

14. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Either that or we selling players. One thing the board is concerned about is profit, and they will make no financial gain from this later down the line

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2016
  15. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    As I said before Blackett was bought, mass panic. Then we brought Jozo in

16. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

We make no financial gain from any loan without an option to buy.

It is one of the main focuses but certainly not the only one, proven by both Denayer and Guidetti.

17. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    We did have a option to buy for Guidetti he didn't want to come. Was Denayer brought in to start. He played his way into the team anyway

18. RockhardBoss

Messi was in the Barca first team squad when he was 17. I'd very surprised if this guy will be challenging Messi as the greatest player ever.

It'll be great to circle-* about a guy who made a handful of sub appearances for Celtic, 10 years down the line, when he turns out to be the next Scott Sinclair or Adam Johnson.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Denayer was in the team from day one. Guidetti was out of contract and free to join whoever he wanted.

I never suggested for a second he'll even be 1/4 of the player Messi is. I quoted a post that said he wouldn't care if he did become he greatest. If you'd turn that level of player down you are a complete numpty. If it's for 6 months, a year or 10 years.

20. og1

Fav Celtic Player:
    McGeady
    No. A six month loan deal can only hurt us as it leaves is in transition again. It is about the core and the group not about the individual. Was that not the whole hipster argument about Stokes being dropped as there was a (a flase imo) perception that he was not good for the group or not pulling his weight?

Who benifts from this loan? Man City yes, The player yes, Deila maybe if it helps domestically, Celtic overall no because he will not be here long term. We have to do what is best for Celtic not for a kid who is not even our own player.

Look at the Denayer loan for comparison. Successful? No doubt about it. Long term was it in our best interests? No because we were in transition at the key point in our season helping to cost us 20m plus.